SMR2 - HoF stats/breaking news

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

SMR2 - HoF stats/breaking news

Post by RandyOrsolo »

15 min delay in updating the HoF stats, and one hour delay in breaking news.

If this has been covered already, delete the topic. I do want to make sure this is put in though.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

why?
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

Hof: so people need to actually do work to find out people are moving/trading, it's unrealistic to have people camp HoF stats and be able to tell if they're moving. I think it was an unintended addition and should be changed.

Breaking News: Realism; you should have some semblance of time before every alliance in the game knows what you're busting and what you're doing. It promotes action but is very unrealistic, and unfair to alliances to move heaven on earth to try to keep their movements a secret from everyone but their target.
Travdan
Quiet One

Post by Travdan »

I would even be for a daily update of the Current HoF, and a "gamely" update for the HoF.

Breaking News: I think we should discuss a delay, but not necessary put a specific time on it yet.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

You still need to do some work on the player stats, its not like you can look and it will tell you exactly what someone is doing, I am against changing the HoF stats to have any delay. Sure it may give you an idea of what someone is doing, but it doesnt tell you what exactly or where.

Breaking News: Isnt the whole term breaking news mean things that are just happening? Sure it may help fleets who are doing something remain in secret, but a fleet shouldnt need to work in secret, look at last night, both Epic and Rein saw u guys were raiding, both went to bust up your op, however you guys finished your raids and walked away with a few kills, I think only 3 people got away alive (me, MIA and DW I think). Sure a delay would help limit op hunting, but thats part of the game, a damn fun part at that.

Bottom line, though I am against HoF delay its not a big issue to me, and if we decide to add one, I'll support the decision. However, I am deadset against a breaking news delay, I dont think its needed and I think its unrealistic
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Travdan
Quiet One

Post by Travdan »

Breaking news is part of the game, that's why I'm willing to discuss whether anything happens with it or not.

Current HoF, on the other hand is not part of the game. It is part of the extraneous statistics. It should not be used at all to enhance an individual or group's gameplay.
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

RandyOrsolo wrote:Hof: so people need to actually do work to find out people are moving/trading, it's unrealistic to have people camp HoF stats and be able to tell if they're moving. I think it was an unintended addition and should be changed.

Breaking News: Realism; you should have some semblance of time before every alliance in the game knows what you're busting and what you're doing. It promotes action but is very unrealistic, and unfair to alliances to move heaven on earth to try to keep their movements a secret from everyone but their target.
Pardon me but none of us live in a space age such as SMR, so how do we really know whats realistic or not as far as this goes? You can really twist it to support any view point. Worry first about gameplay and realism is really secondary.

In any case, its not unrealistic to think a planet sends out some distress signal, which is picked up by media outputs who spread the news around the universe almost instantly.

Personally I think breaking news adds to player interaction which is a good thing.

HoF stats I agree with, needs to be some delay, pick a hour, 6 hours, every day, whatever.
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

To: Trigek
Subject: thanks
just wanted to say thanks for trying to control the situation on webboard. it's all the people around me who keep up their great work.
smr lives through you!
SPOCK
Prince Valiant
Admin Emeritus

Post by Prince Valiant »

i agree i actually think we can impliment this next game
I am the calm before the storm, The second before the crash.
Space Merchant Realms Administrative Team
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

I can live w/o the breaking news delay, although I'd still like to see *some* sort of a delay (5-10 mins, even). Seems like we're all in agreement about HoF stats; they were never supposed to be used to find parking planets and figure out what people were doing.
Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Vtreka »

I see no point to the breaking news delay... most of the time it comes up is when there is 10+ people doing an op so they can't be thwarted easily if they are organised.

I agree with the HoF stats... daily would be good, log in ince a day to see how well you've improved etc...
Founder of: Death Control, Life Control and The Order
Member of: DK, CM, EdL, Northstar, RR, FTV, FI, SPB, TD, LoM, LB