Universe Design Competition (Fall 2009)

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
LotuS
Beta Tester

Re: Universe Design Competition (Fall 2009)

Post by LotuS »

silverx2 wrote:then the map should be called hide and seek instead of fish in a barrel;)

fair
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

why do we have to quote the map 2 times?

lotys map is the best!
silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

seldum wrote:why do we have to quote the map 2 times?

lotys map is the best!
why do we have to complain so much?
i killed orca.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

i dont mind loty's map, if the force times of the large neutral are small, cant have massive mine fields or else the game would be stale as hell
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

JettJackson wrote:i dont mind loty's map, if the force times of the large neutral are small, cant have massive mine fields or else the game would be stale as hell
Agreed, it should not be mined to heavily. i put it at 48 hours for 50 mins but maybe thats even to long. 36 hours? 24 hours?
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Dont have time atm to do the graphical look (will do it after work) but here we go:

Basically the same as this round except removing Omar and replacing with a galaxy similar to Salzik + 4 more planet gals

Number of Total Galaxies (min of 12): 23
Number of Neutral (min of 2): 7
Number of Planet (min of 2): 8

Racial Galaxies
* all racials mines expire in 6 hours
* All racials have 60% Connectivity
* Race specific weapons located in each racial
*3 UNO's, 4 Banks, 4 Bars each
* 50 ports each galaxy
* For warps refer to the diagram below, basically all racials connect to one corridor galaxy

Alskant -- 15x15
Creonti -- 12x12
Human -- 12x12
Ik'Thorne -- 12x12
Salvene -- 12x12
Thevian -- 12x12
WQ Human -- 12x12
Nijarin -- 12x12

Neutral/Corridors/CA Galaxies
** Plains mines expire 4 hours
** CA Galaxies mines expire 4 hours
** Major Neutral mines expire 6 hours
** Minor Neutral mines expire 24 hours
** Planet galaxies mines expire 120 hours

Plains
Good Plain -- 3x6
Neutral Plain -- 3x6
Evil Plain -- 3x6
*As names state, each will contain the related weapons and ships and HQ/UG

Neutral Galaxies:
* Planet Neutral galaxys, 40 ports, mixed races, 4 banks, 2 UNO's each, 4 connecting planet galaxies off of each
Major -- 12x12
Minor -- 12x12

CA Galaxies
CA 1 -- 2x2 * CA Only, Links to minor neutral + locations
CA 2 -- 2x2 * CA Only, links to Major neutral + locations

Planet Galaxies
*Each galaxy contains 1 bar, referb ships, general store, 9 ports 1 of each lvl, mixxed race)
* Each contains 6 Planets
* Connectivity of 40% each galaxy
* Warps only to Neutral, 1 each

Planet 1 -- 9x4
Planet 2 -- 6x6
Planet 3 -- 3x12
Planet 4 -- 4x9
Planet 5 -- 6x6
Planet 6 -- 6x6
Planet 7 -- 6x6
Planet 8 -- 6x6
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

36 hours? 24 hours?
24 hrs, not more. You saw this round that it shouldn't be longer (just take us as an example). It's hard to be maintained, but possible.
Use The Force(s)!
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Some comments on RCKs proposition...
All racials have 60% Connectivity
This makes dull racials with very bad routes. From my experience with connectivity, you get a decently boring galaxy with connectivity over 55% with no places to hide a hunting ship and very, very bad routes. As it is always nice to have some versatility, make racial galaxies differ amongst themselves, so use connectivity between 52% and say 57%, but different for each galaxy.
CA Galaxies
CA 1 -- 2x2 * CA Only, Links to minor neutral + locations
CA 2 -- 2x2 * CA Only, links to Major neutral + locations
Why locations? We have seen this round that mine expiry works just nice, so why not leave the possibility of scouting these galaxies? Promotes interaction.
Planet Galaxies
..., 9 ports 1 of each lvl, mixxed race)
You made that once, and you shouldn't make it again. There are two ways in which port level should be distributed in planet galaxies.... Either all ports should be low level, not over lvl4, maybe 5, either all ports should be high level.

The way you put it, creates instant super routes (remember this round, Ing! did 0 work to get their 25x narcs sell, tho Salzik had only low level ports, which also wasn't supposed to be the case), so all an alliance has to do, if somewhat organized, is take one of those. Put back some work to it. Upgrading, then raiding. Promotes activity and team work. Yes, makes the game harder, but it slows down the big bad alliance, if we're going to have one next round at all.
* Warps only to Neutral, 1 each
There could be two warps to a neutral galaxy, makes defending a bit easier, gives more versatility in strategy. We had it before and it came out just fine.
Use The Force(s)!
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Good points (wow, i messed that up bad, my apologies kinky) THANKS KINKY! , and to defend most those cases.. i copy pasted from last competition just didnt edit everything :)

Connectivity, im cool with what ever, think it was actually less then 60 for this round (dont remember exactly)

CA's -- and ppl whined when i didnt put locations in last round.. hence why i put them in this time, But i agree the ability to mine the CA (with really short expiry times makes more sence to me)

Ports -- sounds fair enough to me, was actually thinking of making all the ports lvl 1's (thought of it while i was at work today :)

Warps -- Assume you are referring to planet galaxies, and if thats the case i remember what your talking about, though from my recollection it resulted in more minefields in the neutral then with just 1 warp, but the ability to use strategy to go around an attacking fleet is always a bonus.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

it resulted in more minefields in the neutral then with just 1 warp,
Yah, but that's hard to maintain now.
Use The Force(s)!