Next Map

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.

Scrub current game? (New map would start the coming Sunday)

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 67

buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

All you can do is try. Message every new player and invite them to your alliance. Do your best to get them hooked to the game. Of course some and maybe a lot of the newbies will not play very much, but you will find gems every once in awhile. All we can do is try. I've got nothing better to do next game. If all our newbies go inactive, well I'll try to find new ones, and if that doesn't work, I guess I am done playing SMR.
Green Skulls, Crimson and Clover, Army of Cuda, Suckas, Armory, Armory v2, Green Skulls, Lords of the Pings, Green Skulls, Ingenious!
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

We did this very same thing years ago, but it never took off, some of the early SMR'ers here will remember the attempt.

The new players are the future of this game, as are the more experienced players who have stuck with the game for weeks/months/years.

I bring up this point because on the first thought me leading a newbie alliance would strike me as interesting and yeah maybe good for the few new players at the start of the game, but each game is different, and some if not most players change the direction in which they play each game regularly, now it wouldn't be a good advertisement for the game if 3/4 weeks in even half way through a newbie alliance is found to be inactively lead or finished because the people in their own right leading it want to try a different direction to have fun.

I am talking in the whole it will be better for the game to have something set in stone that can not be dissolved or die out due to boredom or even something like lack of time due to changes in real life. If we all want to help in which we do, then we really need to put our heads together and as a team the game need to come up with something water tight that will

1) Intrigue new players to play more
2) Help them in every step they take a new player
3) Make them a player that plays many more games to come
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Bonker
Beta Tester

Post by Bonker »

nod
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

no matter what the next map looks like, one basic rule of thumb needs to be followed to avoid easily hunted bottlenecks like the ones ruining this game: The number of travel routes (either direct warps or via a CA galaxy) between galaxies must be proportional to the expected amount of traffic. For example, routes between major neutral galaxies will be heavily travelled, so should have multiple warps.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

Ardbeg wrote:no matter what the next map looks like, one basic rule of thumb needs to be followed to avoid easily hunted bottlenecks like the ones ruining this game: The number of travel routes (either direct warps or via a CA galaxy) between galaxies must be proportional to the expected amount of traffic. For example, routes between major neutral galaxies will be heavily travelled, so should have multiple warps.
I agree.
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

We did a map designed by lotus (it was changed a bit howver the design was still his) and we did a map made by Curufir this round. I believe it is only fair to do a map by Ardbeg for the next game.
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

DarthNihilus wrote:We did a map designed by lotus (it was changed a bit howver the design was still his) and we did a map made by Curufir this round. I believe it is only fair to do a map by Ardbeg for the next game.
thanks for the vote of confidence, although I don't really care who designs the map, as long as it is a good design that addresses the problems we have in the game. I happen to believe my current map suggestion would help do that, but i am open to other ideas or suggestions on how to improve it.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

1 warp to rule them all!