What kind of computer user I am...

Putting a happy face on the community.
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

N.ator wrote:is there a linuxs that looks like mac ?
That'd be OSX. ;)

Back to Vista, I agree with Purify. It is a very buggy OS. Part of my RL job is Vista research & development of our software. The more I learn about Vista, and how to make our software compatible, the more I hate it.

For instance, they have the new "UAC (User Account Control)". For testing I installed Vista, then immediately turned off UAC, and then installed Microsoft Office 2007, drivers, and anything else I needed.

The next day, when I tried to open my email in Microsoft Outlook 2007, it told me I did not have permission to open the file where my email was stored.

I couldn't open my email until I turned on UAC and rebooted my PC.

Their own feature jacks up their own software. (You turn off UAC if you want to run software in a XP Security compatible way).

My next instance was I started fresh again, but this time left UAC on. Installed everything, ran updates from Windows.

3 days later after install, I hadn't installed anything new, hadn't ran any Windows updates. I turn off the PC, and go home (using proper shutdown methods). The computer turned off fine.

The next morning, I turn it back on, log into Vista, and a couple of seconds after initial startup, it BSODed on me.

Please note that I hadn't changed any OS settings, had not installed any new software, drivers, or windows updates. Nothing had changed on my end. I had properly shutdown the PC the day prior.

So I figured I'd try to figure out why it was BSODing, so I booted into Windows Safe Mode. I log in, and it immediately BSODed.

So whatever was causing the PC to BSOD was a Windows startup service (because in Safe mode only core Windows services are supposed to startup).

Vista is invariably junk.

For every one (1) person who is happy with Vista, and not having any OS problems (yet), there is nine (9) more people who are not happy with Vista because it runs less reliably than XP.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

B.O.B. wrote:
N.ator wrote:is there a linuxs that looks like mac ?
That'd be OSX. ;)
yeah but dont you have to pay for that?

or can you get that for free?
ImageImage
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

you have to pay for everything jon

And as for vista, I've been surprisingly happy with it. Like, I am getting the BS that most vista users encounter, such as non working drivers and the such, but i had one of my RIT friends come over the day I got the computer and he set it up for me, disabling all the :D windows proccesses and security crap that makes people hate vista so much. Its the simple stuff that I like about it. I like the sidebar because it makes my life so much easier, I like the fact that ctrl alt delete brings you back into a different screen with more options.

I don't like the fact it uses so much ram, and i hate microsoft office 2007, even though thats completely off topic.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be using Mac then Windows, but i don't have the deep hatred for vista that others have.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

Actually there are versions of Ubuntu that look like OSX too..... can be fun playing around with them....

and yes.. if you leave your out of the box computer setup the way you got it..... the issues with Vista can be minimized (only really dealing with the gay security).... however, i'm not taht guy.... i am adding and changing hardware on my computer all the time... Vista was a nightmare!
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

so then that means you could instal Mac OS X Leopard ? ( http://www.apple.com/macosx/ )
ImageImage
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

i'm confused :S what do you want to do?
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Purify wrote:i'm confused :S what do you want to do?
i currently have windows vista. i was wondering what other operating system i could install. So could i install Mac OS X Leopard ? on my pc?
ImageImage
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

http://wubi-installer.org/

is a version of Ubuntu (Linux) that is easy to install on a Windows machine....

Leopard is just a Linux engine that Apple used to create its OSX (i believe, bigger nerds may be able to explain better.....) it can only be run on a Mac.
Hobbs
Quiet One

Post by Hobbs »

B.O.B. wrote: Mac runs on Linux (not the other way around).
To be completely picky... Wrong, OSX runs on UNIX. Which is not Linux. They are similar.

As for Linux or Unix installs, I've dabbled with enough of them, and in fact, have always had a problem. First, there were no drivers built in for my sounds card, which I eventually got working (3 days and lots of google-ing later). Second, I installed a distro of Linux that had no support for my WiFi card (apparently, this linux installs don't like Broadcom chipsets for WiFi cards) and, after lots of google-ing, shell scripting, and several days later I finally managed to make my install work with a WPA key (something that was not supported from the GUI, only from the command line - Good luck average Joe getting your network to work) and work about 50% of the time with my WiFi card.

Also, anyone who wants to tell me that Linux is way more stable than Windows can go bite themselves. Throughout my few experiences with Linux I've had more than a few encounters with Kernel Panics... which... wow... are the same thing as a Windows BSOD.
Purify wrote: Leopard is just a Linux engine that Apple used to create its OSX (i believe, bigger nerds may be able to explain better.....) it can only be run on a Mac.
I'm not sure about this. Previous MacOS versions could only run on proprietary mac processors (PowerPC) - (they changed processor architecture every new OS, if I'm correct). OSX runs on pentium 8086 processors, (which is why bootcamp/parallels works) but I don't think it is available for anything other than Macs. The software drivers would be the least of your worries if you tried to install OSX on a dell, for instance, I think.
What part of lockbox do you not understand!?
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

oyyy

It appears we awoke a nerd who works for Microsoft or Intel.... i'm not quite sure which :P