Planets

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

DWill
Admin Emeritus

Planets

Post by DWill »

The combined mental prowess and SMR planetary war acumen of the 1.5 beta team has come up with (so far) these planet types for 1.5.

First I'll go over the different planet types and their purposes.

Planet Types

Defensive- Acts as a counter-measure against missiles launched from Offensive planets (see below).

Offensive- Launches missiles (at a high price obviously) at enemy planets in order to make them easier to bust.

Research- Can build structures on this planet that will increase the effectiveness of generators, drones, turrets, and missiles on all other planets in this planets galaxy.

Lander- Heavily defended planet that will be difficult to attack where a fleet can safely land.

Resource- This planet provides materials that allow the other planets in the galaxy to keep their defenses intact. If this planet gets busted the other planets defenses will be significantly weaker.

Idealology

Ok that is the run down of the planets types. Remember they are like this because Azool wants to move away from the present day strategy which is have as many people online with as many turns as possible to bust a planet.

With these planets he hopes to add a bit of variety to how an enemy alliance would go about taking an alliances galaxy. If the enemy alliance goes straight for the lander they will probably not be successful because of the toughness of these planets combined with bonuses from the research planets.

However if they pick off the weaker planets first and use their missiles to whittle away at the lander then they will probably be much more successful. A well organized enemy alliance should be able to successfully control a galaxy within two weeks (thats the goal at least I think).

Planetary Buildings

Defensive Systems Factory, 36 hours, 30 circuitry, 30 computer, 100, wood, 150 ore, 150 food

-Used to produce the theoritical goods to maintain the upkeep on planets in the galaxy defensive systems.

Energy Weapon Lab, 12 hours, 30 circuitry, 30 computer, 30 wood, 50 ore, 75 food

-Used to increase the effectiveness of turrets stationed in the same galaxy as the lab (turret damage increased, etc...)

Combat Drone Programming Lab, 12 hours, 50 circuitry, 50 computer, 20 wood, 10 ore, 20 food

-Used to increase the effectiveness of drones stationed in the same galaxy as the lab (drone damage increased by .1, etc...)

Force Field Tech Lab, 8 hours 15 circuitry, 15 computer, 15 wood, 25 ore, 35 food

-Used to increase the effectiveness of shield generators within the galaxy of the lab (more shields per generator, etc...)

Ballistics Lab, 48 hours, 75 circuitry, 50 computer, 30 wood, 40 ore, 50 food

-Used to increase the effectiveness of missiles produced on missile silos within the galaxy of the lab (increased accuracy, damage, etc...)

Missile Silo, 96 hours, 600 circuitry, 600 computer, 600 wood, 600 ore, 600 food

-Used to build missiles to detonate against planets and possibly other things.

EMP Missile Silo, 48 hours, 200 circuitry, 200 computer, 200 wood, 200 ore, 200 food

-Used on defensive planets to build missiles to counter missiles from missile silos on offensive planets (obviously not finalized yet).

Generator, 2 hours, 20 circuitry, 10 computer, 30 food

-Same as old generators.

Hanger, 4 hours, 30 wood, 40 food

-Same as old hangers.

Turret, 12 hours, 30 circuitry, 10 computer, 5 wood, 20 ore, 30 food

-Same as old turrets.

The building times and costs are obviously open to change if you see problems with them, and I think Azool is still looking for more ideas if you have any. So suggest away.

**edit I know my names are a bit lame too, so feel free to flame me and suggest new ones.
Last edited by DWill on Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
-when there is a will there is a way
DWill
Admin Emeritus

Post by DWill »

Mine and Tah's additional planet ideas....

Orbital Defense Planet:

This planet would build parts of an orbital defense platform (say builds 1/4 of a platform in a week) that would then have to be towed (by towships, 4 or more) to the planet it would orbit around. There the piece would sit until the other 3 pieces arrived, at which point you could activate the orbital defense platform and it would have similar characteristics of the lander class planet (on a reduced scale of course). You would have to destroy the orbital defense platform before you could attack the planet.

Repair Drone Planet:

This planet would be able to build a Repair Drone factory, which would make, you guessed it, repair drones. These guys could be stored in special repair drone hangers on all planets and when the planet is attacked could repair destroyed structures (like turrets) or perhaps replace shields or such.
Last edited by DWill on Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
DWill
Admin Emeritus

Post by DWill »

Point System:

All planets can build generators and hangers up to level 10. At that point you can go to options (from planet main) and decide what type of planet you want it to be. From there each type of planet will have a certain amount of points that can be used to develop the planet.

Of course we might have to fine tune this system a bit or rework it :).
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

Ok, so here is a rough planet idea I had from talking to Dwizz. I'm gonna use pretty random numbers to make my mental math easier, they'll have to be tweeked some. Sorry if I'm ignorant on any issue, still catching up on the reading, and I'm gonna steal from the other posts ;)

So what I've gathered is that there will be different planet types, which do different things. The main idea being having one big lander that is very hard to take down, on its own, and then having other planets providing support for that lander or "capital" planet, making it near impenetrable while its support planets remain intact. This is how I think we should accomplish that:

Planet Roles:
Lander.
This is the fleets HQ, I suggest that when the alliance leader lands on the planet he can "Plant a Flag" claiming that planet as the "Capital". This designates this planet as the one to recieve all the support. It also allows extra military building in the form of say twice the defence of a typical 70? I'd also suggest a bonus to build times on a reverse curve with the planets level (ie so it builds a bit faster in the start, but as it grows this slows down to normal build times).

Research.
For a price, advanced technology can be researched to provide bonuses to systems in the galaxy.

Shield Planets.
Have buildings on them that generate and "beam" energy to the shield grid of the galaxy. This would restore planet shields after each attack (If the attackers do 1000 damage, at the end of the combat round, the sheilds get restored 400 points). Not sure if this should only apply to the capital, or to all planets in the galaxy as some sort of shield network. Would make it so taking down these sheild planets would be the very first priority of a bust.

Drone Planets.
Have extra drones that launch and deploy to re-enforce planetary defences, as the above. Also as the above, this could apply to only the lander or all planets as a "Galactic Defence". Having two seperate planets do this may be a bit too much, depending on how many planets are in each galaxy, and how much extra help they provide, and how hard we really want a full bust to be. We could combine the 2 into one, or sheilds are restored right away, but the drones have a flight time that causes a delay before they arrive.

Orbital Defense Planet:

This planet would build parts of an orbital defense platform (say builds 1/4 of a platform in a week) that would then have to be towed (by towships, 4 or more) to the planet it would orbit around. There the piece would sit until the other 3 pieces arrived, at which point you could activate the orbital defense platform and it would have similar characteristics of the lander class planet (on a reduced scale of course). You would have to destroy the orbital defense platform before you could attack the planet.

Resource Planet:
Call it a mining planet, this rock pumps out the raw goods that repair crews will need to repair the damage from attacks as well as general upkeep on buildings.

Tactical:
Planets with missle silos capable of launching a long range attack on enemy planets. Also increases the affectiveness of forces in the galaxy.

Defencive:
Acts as a deterant to enemy missle attacks (Do we really wanna use missles? This is space... Quantum Storm Generator or something? lol), also due to the advanced sensors and communications grid it has, alliance ships operating inside the galaxy gain a minor bonus to weapon accuracy.

I'm sure we'll have no trouble coming up with buildings to do what we need.

Now to provide some balance, diversity, and an element of planning and stratagy. I propose that we also give planets characteristics. I'd suggest that each one of the other planet types still be able to build up to about a level 70's defence on they're own, as well as being able to build the structures needed to fulfill its role.

Area.
This affects the total number of buildings able to be built. Some structures need a larger area than others, but this allows alliances to experiment with different stratagies, maybe they want to try having a couple full maxed out sheild planets, and a couple drone planets, or they could want 4 planets that do both. You can max out the buildings for that role, or mix it up.

Energy.
The amount of energy gathered from solar collectors needed for research and sheild structures.

Metals.
Needed for the resource planets and research labs.

Each planet in the galaxy will have say 300 "points" that will be split up, randomly (or influenced at game creation?) into those 3 areas. One planet may get 130 area, 60 metals, and 110 energy, another may get 90 area, 120 metals and 90 energy. So some planets work better as a shield planet while others as drone or resource planet. Each of the advanced buildings used to fulfill these planet roles, will need a certian amount of energy or metal to limit the amount of that type of building. It also makes it harder for someone to monopolize on one type of planet. 9 sheild planets could be very annoying, so this forces a degree of diversity as well.

We'll still need to come up with buildings, but Dwizz already has a decent list of ones we can use. It would require some balance, but I know I like it ;)
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Nice work OR, I like the lander idea best. The other ones are good also, and with a game were there are no set turn rate having extra defences on main planet is a good thing to have.
DWill
Admin Emeritus

Post by DWill »

I think all the planets should support each other (like the lab planets should help all the planets and resource planets should be critical for all planets). The shield planet can be just for lander though. Call it a shield battery planet maybe? You can put shields in the shield batteries (the amount of batteries you build effects how much you can store on planet and such) then when the lander (or planet with the flag whatever) is attacked the batteries automatically refill the shields to full until the batteries are depleted?

I like all the other stuff ;)