Ship to Ship Combat

Report and discuss any bugs found in SMR.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Ship to Ship Combat

Post by RCK »

There is a "bug" with ship to ship combat

Yes i know Page has looked into it several times, but there is clearly a bug or least an "imbalance" issue.

I've noticed from my few hunting trips this round (speed round) as well as some of my alliance mates

that if the attacker has LESS experence (say 2x less) then the person they are attacking there shot will be high.

on the other hand,

if you have MORE exp the the person you are attacking you will hit terribly (100k+ hits for 110 damage??)

This works great to help out newbies... but it also means that any benefit from trading to a higher level is pointless. (least from a combat point of view)

Anyone else noticed this trending?
LotuS
Beta Tester

Re: Ship to Ship Combat

Post by LotuS »

yes, it is just as you say hehe.
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

Combat code has a huge random factor in it... therefore to see if it is not being calculated correctly a sample of say 10,000 combats would have to be done and then analyzed.

Can a combat simulator be created using the code from the game?? (like Curufir had) So it can be tested?
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

There is a combat sim in beta which uses the exact same code (just uses dummy players that you specify), it's in beta but you have to be given permission to use it. However it doesn't currently allow you to just run off a load of combats and just get a report on the results.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Any chance you can make it do that? ;) though might want to restrict it from the general player base incase someone decides to run 500k sims and crash the server :P
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Definitely an imbalance issue..More i gain, the less i hit =\
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Ya ask kouga last game how hard I hit at 25k to his 175k, the fact of the matter is that its either inverse to what it should be or there is way too much of a random factor
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

just to contradict myself.... was fighting last night vs a player with almost the same lvl as me (think there was 1 lvl difference) and i was doing 500+ shots most the time (with a few misses and 50's) even managed to pull a 1100 shot...

So maybe its the random factor that is a problem? Now im confused, work allowing maybe i'll run some tests in beta.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I don't know PHP but in C# the random generator is seeded by the server time. So if I do something like this

Random myRandom = new Random();

foreach (var item in weaponList)
{
myRandom.Next(1, 100);
'do something....
}

Now what happens is if the first shot misses then there is more of a chance that each shot after will also miss. If the first shot hits then there is a good chance that each shot after will also hit. When I was test the random generator with the 2.0 frameworks I noticed this. I have not tested with the new 4.0 frameworks so it maybe different now.

I like it better to declare the random within the loop this way it is reset each time the loop passes. Page would know much more about how the random should be done in PHP but it maybe something to look at.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Random factor is contained in weapon accuracy, not particularly in the equation that adds accuracy based on player level and ships participating in the fight. And there is no random number generator for weapons (there is for combat drones, but those shoot just fine comparing with the level of the player).

If there is an issue with the code, that equation needs to be looked into.
Use The Force(s)!