Re: Less Fed routes.

Post by N.ator »

no i say we make them at least 3 fed sectors
ImageImage
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

It depends upon the lay out, the lowest it could be is 2 sectors if fed falls in a tunnel (not likely) or max will be 6 sectors. Either way the mapmaker automatically places the feds when adding in locations, so I am going to let that happen, such that we don't have identical feds for every gal. Adds in a randomness/luck factor.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

Whatever happens, something needs to be done. Im all for routes near fed, but none of them should go through it...
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

the570z wrote:Whatever happens, something needs to be done. Im all for routes near fed, but none of them should go through it...
It's nearly impossible not to have a route or two go through fed. Shrinking the size of fed will limit the chances of a fed route but it can not be eliminated.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

Beausoleil
Quiet One

Post by Beausoleil »

JettJackson wrote:
the570z wrote:Whatever happens, something needs to be done. Im all for routes near fed, but none of them should go through it...
It's nearly impossible not to have a route or two go through fed. Shrinking the size of fed will limit the chances of a fed route but it can not be eliminated.
In this context, I believe the definition of a "fed route" entails a route in which ports are very close (only 1-2 sectors away) from fed space. It can certainly be just about eliminated if a concerted effort was made to have no more than one port within that space around fed, and that in itself would be made easier by having fewer (think two) fed spaces.
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

247-255 would be my example A of what should be manually removed if it occurs. I would say we really only need one fed sector per gal, as long as its put in a 4 way sector(again can be changed manually if needed) with locations around it(perhaps the federal shipyard and such). If you do that it will be impossible to mine in, but will pretty much prevent fed routes from occurring. Besides with the force expiration time even mining all around fed is nigh impossible for any length of time and if it can be done temporarily while hunting a trader, well then whats wrong with that?
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Beausoleil wrote:
JettJackson wrote:
In this context, I believe the definition of a "fed route" entails a route in which ports are very close (only 1-2 sectors away) from fed space. It can certainly be just about eliminated if a concerted effort was made to have no more than one port within that space around fed, and that in itself would be made easier by having fewer (think two) fed spaces.
Having only 2 fed spaces makes grossly easy to mine fed, not everything involving fed has to do with trade routes. So to make it that small has a huge reprecussion to it. As for hand placing ports, I'd rather let the gal generator randomly place the ports, if there happens to be a fed route with the 5 or less sector feds that I will be making then consider that race lucky, but we can't entirely eliminate them because there has to be some luck of the draw to the game. Sometimes your race gets good routes, sometimes you end up with a race that has a bad of rocks.

JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

the570z wrote:247-255 would be my example A of what should be manually removed if it occurs. I would say we really only need one fed sector per gal, as long as its put in a 4 way sector(again can be changed manually if needed) with locations around it(perhaps the federal shipyard and such). If you do that it will be impossible to mine in, but will pretty much prevent fed routes from occurring. Besides with the force expiration time even mining all around fed is nigh impossible for any length of time and if it can be done temporarily while hunting a trader, well then whats wrong with that?
When making the map the gal generator randomly places the ports/levels however the goods fall is completely random, its entirely possible to have those same ports be there and have no route. Its not nearly impossible if you have someone active maintaining the mines there, trust me I have seen it done before.

the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

If somebody wants to waste all their turns refreshing forces then yes, mines can be maintained anywhere, however being able to maintain mines and still have turns to do something about them is a little tougher... Besides that argument would work just as well for saying that current feds are NOT BIG ENOUGH! which is not true and you know it. There are plenty of examples of fed zones with less fed entrance sectors then having one fed with 4 bars around it would create. Yes luck of the draw should be important but that pertains to if they have a perfect route on game start, not if they have a route that they are invincible on at game start.
It is quite possible to adjust maps manually, the custom feds during the draft round would be one example, the other being the Thevian galaxy at the beginning of this game. My personal thoughts are that the removal of the fed route in Thevian at the beginning of this game AFTER it had started would be cheating if fed routes were about luck of the draw and nothing else. There can be luck in perfect 6x routes(or better) being around when game started, it doesnt have to be luck as well that those routes include only one vulnerable sector that when combined with green sectors prevents even using singles against traders. How about we let luck play its role AND prevent the game from accidentally generating things that are just plain silly.
Beausoleil
Quiet One

Post by Beausoleil »

JettJackson wrote:Having only 2 fed spaces makes grossly easy to mine fed, not everything involving fed has to do with trade routes. So to make it that small has a huge reprecussion to it. As for hand placing ports, I'd rather let the gal generator randomly place the ports, if there happens to be a fed route with the 5 or less sector feds that I will be making then consider that race lucky, but we can't entirely eliminate them because there has to be some luck of the draw to the game. Sometimes your race gets good routes, sometimes you end up with a race that has a bad of rocks.
Its easy. Let the port generator make the ports, then trim the ones around fed. Done.

As for mining a two-space fed...let it happen. Anyone willing to take the effort to do it should be able to reap the reward. Will help with the hunting/trading issue we've talked about in another thread.