Random Way to cut some pressure on traders

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

Kal wrote:How about we have ships that just randomly blow up. Like you click to move to next sector, then you are in a pod. Like you had an electrical problem or something in the fuel line and your ship decides to implode. We can do it like 2% chance on move click to blow up. This would encourage traders to be prepared for pods at all times. Let me know what you think.
Umm...no. You would be in a pod approximately every 50 turns.
You would even be able to make enough money fast enough to keep getting a decent ship. Everyone would be flying junky free ones.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

In a online BBS game I played back in the 80's (called Space Empires)there was a alien race that no one played, it was only controlled by the computers. I don't know what percentage chance it was but they would show up unexpectedly and lay in on you. If something like this is desireable this computer controlled race could target Birds and other non trade ships (it is a honor thing).

They could appear basically as a ship simular to the one the hunter is in at the same level. They could even be attracted to jump usage(maybe some cumlitive percentage chance based on level and ship ratings or something that is for the coders to figure out.)
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I remember that, but wasn't it the eary 90s? 1992 or 1994. Also didn't a school somewhere support that BBS game. I had found it and only got to play it for a few months before they closed it down.
Kal
Quiet One

Post by Kal »

DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

They were around in there early 90's. That is also about the time when they got one of the first Internet Portals in the Milwaukee Area that anyone could use(They had a time limit on it for BBS Account holders).
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
DemiGod
Quiet One

Post by DemiGod »

Kal wrote:How about we have ships that just randomly blow up. Like you click to move to next sector, then you are in a pod. Like you had an electrical problem or something in the fuel line and your ship decides to implode. We can do it like 2% chance on move click to blow up. This would encourage traders to be prepared for pods at all times. Let me know what you think.
Thanks for the constructive advice. If you think its a bad idea say why. Everyone would like to see a greater player base correct? Well the majority of the time a new player is in a trade ship. Now if we made it harder to kill traders than new players would die less right? Now if new players didn't get destroyed everytime the moved outside of fed that would encourage them to keep playing right? Obviously one of the problems is keeping people playing because there seems to be plenty of traffic to the site.
Mar
Quiet One

Post by Mar »

But all the old players would quit, what's the fun in trading when you don't really have a chance of dying?
All players who play now were newbies once and we didn't quit because we died.
Same goes for all games, you die alot in the beginning.
=)

It takes one to be one!
DemiGod
Quiet One

Post by DemiGod »

Come on, the vets wouldn't quit because they might get blasted by a port while trying to pop hunters.
Mar
Quiet One

Post by Mar »

Hehe, guess I shouldnt make replies to threads it was over a week ago since I read :) I thought the suggestion was to make traders harder to pod.
Well in that case the suggestion is just rediculous ;)
And what I said wasnt that the hunters would quit but the traders.
=)

It takes one to be one!
SnakeBite
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by SnakeBite »

I agree. It wouldn't work. I certainly wouldnt play if I just randomly blew up every once in a while... And without traders there would be no point in this game as their could be no hunters to hunt traders and no warship to hunt hunters... But anyway it was just a joke just go to page 1 and click on the link that says "clicky for B.O.B".