Advertising Locations

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Advertising Locations

Post by RCK »

We are slowly moving towards a point were I feel we can be comfortable with putting out some real $$ to advertise.

So that being said, anyone know any place(s) we should consider targeting?

We're looking for the most exposure for the least $ as possible.
Beausoleil
Quiet One

Re: Advertising Locations

Post by Beausoleil »

I'll throw in my two...

1) Slashdot - very popular website, populated by a lot of older nerds who would probably find the game interesting for its now "retro" feel. Nerds who like the numbers aspect of the game.

2) SomethingAwful - another hugely popular site, forums are well-visited, and many younger (20's and 30's) gamers are there (probably a lot of former SM players, in fact).

I stand by my statement that I would be willing to pay out of my own pocket for advertising on these two sites.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

Facebook. Incredibly cheap advertising, and I don't need to say how many people would see it...anyone has "video games" or even just "games" in their interests would see adds for SMR.
silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

kongregate.com(recently purchased by gamestop)
armorgames.com
newgrounds.com

places with flash games where people play them online while at work/school. thats a similar clientèle(users) SMR wants/needs people that will pop on daily and do their thing.
i killed orca.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

All of the above would be great spots, facebook is most certainly one where you might hit the most people.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Baalzamon wrote:Facebook. Incredibly cheap advertising, and I don't need to say how many people would see it...anyone has "video games" or even just "games" in their interests would see adds for SMR.
Freon22 is currently working on a new template that will suit game play via facebook app, that should help get ppl introduced to the game.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

RCK wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Facebook. Incredibly cheap advertising, and I don't need to say how many people would see it...anyone has "video games" or even just "games" in their interests would see adds for SMR.
Freon22 is currently working on a new template that will suit game play via facebook app, that should help get ppl introduced to the game.
that will be sweet to get it though facebook! another thing we should look into is facebook login! its very easy to emplement and a good way of advertizement.
ImageImage
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Had a random thought while walking to get my coffee....

A "Call to arms" function for an alliance, would trigger a message sent to any alliance member who has (the yet unnamed option) to allow text messaging.

cost im not sure... .

Either flat cost per round or per use....

For instance, for once per round have it 1 credit per alliance member (which would default to the max alliance size)

so for instance... this round you would pay 25 credits to have this feature enabled.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

This option is already implemented. It is called IRC chat.

But what about this: ME has this feature that a broadcast message is automatically sent whenever a ship is attacked. It is ridiculous for fighters, anybody with a buddy close would have assistance in no time. But it *can* be done for traders. So whenever you are in a trader (you can implement this as a technology slot only on certain ships), you would broadcast being attacked. You would probably be dead by the time the cavalry arrives, but at least it would draw attention and make the game a bit more dynamic.

For example, the message would say "Player x has been attacked in sector Y by player Z" and would be visible on main screen, without having to click through to messages.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Edgecrusher wrote:This option is already implemented. It is called IRC chat.

But what about this: ME has this feature that a broadcast message is automatically sent whenever a ship is attacked. It is ridiculous for fighters, anybody with a buddy close would have assistance in no time. But it *can* be done for traders. So whenever you are in a trader (you can implement this as a technology slot only on certain ships), you would broadcast being attacked. You would probably be dead by the time the cavalry arrives, but at least it would draw attention and make the game a bit more dynamic.

For example, the message would say "Player x has been attacked in sector Y by player Z" and would be visible on main screen, without having to click through to messages.
To your first point, not everyone pays attention to IRC nor are they at there computer 24/7, still a useful feature, not to mention with the ever expanding usage of cell phones on the internet.

To the second point, Sounds good to me.