Tutorial-Manditory?

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

the570z
Quiet One

Tutorial-Manditory?

Post by the570z »

We should use the old newbie game function to make a tutorial for noobs. Walk them through finding a route, trading, upgrading ships/holds. Getting attacked, forces, and killing, perhaps even a pod screen. If you show them what to expect and how to deal with the everyday situations we all do, we might be able to keep some of those that stumble into our web :).

As for how to do it, the details will be tougher, but I saw for myself that Page has NPCs working well enough in beta to deal with the basics needed, I.E. go to sector X, execute commands for the ship to ship goodies. The ports and other non moving, player interaction stuff can be handled quite easily with prompts and a triggered message deal. Id love to help develop this! I really, really, reaaaaaly want to see lots of noobs PLAYING! Even if its for the purely selfish reason of having lots of easy targets to shoot :P
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Tutorial-Manditory?

Post by N.ator »

i agree! if you play another game on the web, such as tribal wars, they require you to play the tutorial. it takes 5 minutes, and you are able to learn about the game. in result you get an award, of possibly the racial trader (for newbies).. something like this is highly needed!
ImageImage
silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

the problem between other games and SMR is even with a tutorial, and making it mandatory, there is no way to really demonstrate the wall people are going to hit once they get into the actual game. Its actually a much bigger issue.

For instance in some games you have an overall "protection" from lager/better players, SMR does not have that, the only thing stopping a vet player from destroying a newb is that the vet doesnt get a kill count increase, He still gets the money, and exp.

You cant make newbs invulnerable because they can still kill a vet in group fights, or maybe they are just good and can kill them outright, or maybe they are a returning player with vet skills and newb stats.

SMR really needs to develop some sort of Hook to really grab players early on in the game to get them to keep playing till later on to enjoy the massive fleet battles, which are imho the best part of the game.
i killed orca.
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

All the tutorial is for is to teach them the basics, not many of them understand distance indexes and stuff. A noob suicided to a port in Summer Solstice already, that also could have been prevented with a tutorial.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

yeah its all about showing what is what..

this is sort of what we need implemented into the game.

http://manual.smrealms.de/tutorial.php?ID=1
ImageImage
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

already working on newbie games/tutorials. Some italics players are returning vets who would not want to go through a mandatory tutorial.