New Player Retention

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Schatten

New Player Retention

Post by Schatten »

A common theme I hear about is ideas for new player retention. Many of these point out that this game is not the easiest to learn so many leave before realizing how enjoyable it can be. I thought it might be worth while to have a thread about ideas to help out these new players.

-Already mentioned but I think its a good idea, Mandatory Tutorial. Or you can have the tutorial pop up when someone creates an account with an option to opt out if they want.
-Already on Request a Feature, increases starting newbie turns for new players. The idea being you can burn through them so easy simply by exploring it might be nice to have the extra turns to figure out trading/haggling/banking/shopping etc.
-This may be more out there, but perhaps a newbie/beginner only galaxy? Some place where they can trade/hunt/build planets against other players of their experience. If it would be easier to code maybe even a game with really small galaxies limited to newbie/beginner players
-I can't remember if it is currently this way, but while under newbie protection also show if you are under federal protection as well, to illustrate that you can gain protection multiple ways
-There needs to be an in-game message board for new players to post questions. Its pretty obvious from looking at time of last post that the one on this forum isn't well utilized
-Tying in with the above idea, there should be a way to let advanced players monitor or interact with the newbie help alliance. The alliance is great and does have good tips on the boards but without advanced players to interact with its aid is limited.
Incognito
Quiet One

Re: New Player Retention

Post by Incognito »

There use to be newbie/beginner only racials, but when the player base dropped these were removed (for good reason). Now that more people are out of newbie status, it might be worth it to bring them back.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

what i think we should do is implement these questions marks (?) next words, and when clicked it will tell you what to do basically.

for example. you go to fed and you are notified you are not pertected. you click the ? and then it will say go to a weapon shop and sell your weapon, and or jettison your cargo.

have this next to the local map, saying this is a visual look at the sectors

etc.
ImageImage
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Only issue there would be clicking on them when you dont intend to and in 'rushed' cases this could result in a pod.

Good idea thought, maybe the ability to turn them on/off would be good. (on by default)
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

We have several things in the works to help new players out. No need for this specific one.

Rejected
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General