XP Debt

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

the570z
Quiet One

XP Debt

Post by the570z »

I brought this up in another thread but I thought I would create a thread here to see if people were interested in it and get help figuring out the numbers side of it.

Basically the idea is to move from a death costing you experience to having a death give you an XP debt you have to work off. Do like a 30-70 split on xp gained after death with 70% going to pay off the debt. Combine this with a general decrease in xp gained(so we dont wind up with everybody at like 350k by the end of a round.) Could make the xp debt like 750 per level.
Hugh
Quiet One

Re: XP Debt

Post by Hugh »

How would this affect the cloak?
Hugh
~-~-~
Currently with Path TO Oblivion
Previously with Tyranical Rule, Undead Umbrellas, Contraction, V.E.N.o.M, Quiet Riot, System Failure, RoD, TLS and others that don't come to mind...
Led iLegitimate Basterds

Hated 1.5
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

Well, I could see a couple options.
1. One is cloak does not work while you have debt(bad option IMHO, seems overly harsh toward cloak)
2. Cloak xp is XP-debt
3. Have it remain the same but while you have debt people of same level can see you.

Personally id vote for number 2. I think that is the fairest option.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

i like the idea about an exp debt!

how long would you have the debt for?
how would it effect the ranking system?
would other people be able to see how much trading debt they have?

-the only thing is say if you traded to 400k, (been trading for msot of the game) and then die and loose 70k. the last thing you are going to want to do is trade again!
ImageImage
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

Well I would say that the debt sticks around until you pay it off by earning xp. And we should try to set xp gains based on the idea that killing 2.5 million in xp(total xp of traders killed=2.5mil, also number is wild ass guess, could use refinement) or trading a perfect 6x the entire game in an IST(with PSF being gone) will net you 500k xp. I.E. you can trade to 400k but youll only have perhaps 2 weeks to enjoy it if your goal is to trade high enough not to ever lose a fight. Ideally id like to make it so that somebody who can trade to 250k without dying and then get around 15 kills(again no deaths) will make spooky.

The idea is to make it easier for the folks that are very good at both to reach spooky without making it impossible for folks that are just really good at one.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Way too confusing of an idea that would effect too many aspects of the game.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

JettJackson wrote:Way too confusing of an idea that would effect too many aspects of the game.
I don't see how this would add any aspect of the game, but I agree it is too confusing, as it's mostly a cosmetic change.

Any new suggestion should either fix a problem or add something new to the game, and I don't see either of those here. Maybe you need to explain more.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

could you give a simple description.

ie : 1. traded to 30k
2. died and lost 5k

etc..

i want to see a real life example that is easy to read.
ImageImage
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

Xp debt is a fairly simple concept. What it means is when you die you get an XP debt that you have to pay off before you gain XP at the normal rate again. This is done in most MMORPG games to avoid folks losing all their :D when they die. In them the formula is that for whatever level you are you get X amount of debt upon a death. Then when you gain XP after the death, 50%(standard number im suggesting higher) of it is used to pay down your XP debt and the other 50% goes toward your total XP.

Example(going with a 70% payoff rate)

Joe has 100516 xp, he is blown up.
Joe gets 14500xp debt. Joe goes trading, when joe trades and earns 562xp from a trade. 393 of that xp is used to pay off his xp debt and 169 adds to his XP total. Joe now has 100685 xp and 14107 debt remaining. Joe decides trading is for wussies and gets a DC, When Joe decides to cloak on some noobs that have95k xp, he is blown up because the XP used to calculate if he is cloaked or not is his XP- XP Debt.

Essentially this system is very similar to what we have in place, however it carries some advantages, deaths dont carry quite the psychological toll as you havent "lost any xp" and its a little easier not to die again right away since your defense has not dropped(higher xp means harder for you to get shot). The whole point of this is simply to make pods not quite so devastating. I dont want nerf them to the point of an annoyance either, but pods can make folks rage quit as they are now, which sucks.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

I don't get it. Last I checked my math skills were pretty awesome, but how is this different from just losing the xp?

Say I have 100k xp and die.

XP debt

I still have 100K but 30K debt
if I trade 30K, then half of it will go to my xp, making it 115K with a 15k debt
If I then get a DC, my cloak is calculated by XP - XP debt = 115K - 15K = 100K

Normal situation

I have 70K after dieing
If I trade 30K then all of it will go to my xp, making it 100K
If I then get a DC, my cloak is calculated by my XP = 100K

Those numbers look suspiciously the same.