Increase XP from building planets

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Increase XP from building planets

Post by N.ator »

you should be rewarded more for more work.
ImageImage
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

N.ator wrote:you should be rewarded more for more work.
10k per planet is a bunch of exp for the work. It was 0 before, there is no need to make it something ridiculous like 20-30k per planet. I have yet to see a reason to change other than people saying I want it changed. Reasoning goes a long way with this.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

The reasoning is that not enough people build planets. Unless more people start building planets, the game will continue to become less and less appealing as the few that do stop. If you have better ideas for enticing folks to build planets by all means please share them. In the current game there is only one alliance building planets with any effort. When there ceases to be an opposing force, games become pointless. This game may not be the start of a trend but I see no reason to sit on our hands and risk allowing things to become completely stale. If this game flops how many more players will we lose? How many more can we afford to lose before we hit the point of no return? The only strategy that is a guaranteed failure is doing nothing.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Ok, first thing, planet building is not in the game as a method to gain experience, if you want to gain experience then go trade, it's that simple. Planet building is there so that you can get the reward of having a planet at the end of it and I added some experience gain for the people who take the hit of going and building, I don't care about those selfish people who just want exp, they are for the most part not team players at all and therefore trying to get them to do something for the team is a bit of a lost cause.
Put simply the reward of the planets at the end should be enough and the exp is just there to soften the blow a little for the people who have to pick up the slack for those who won't help build.

If the reward of the planets themselves is not enough then surely we should be looking at that, rather than at making planet building better than trading for experience?
Beausoleil
Quiet One

Post by Beausoleil »

Page wrote:Ok, first thing, planet building is not in the game as a method to gain experience, if you want to gain experience then go trade, it's that simple.
More appropriately, "planet building has not been in the game as a method to gain experience". Simply saying "it wasn't so before, so you're lucky you get anything at all" is flimsy reasoning. There was a reason the experience gain was added in the first place, and I feel the amount has fallen just short of its intentions.
Planet building is there so that you can get the reward of having a planet at the end of it and I added some experience gain for the people who take the hit of going and building, I don't care about those selfish people who just want exp, they are for the most part not team players at all and therefore trying to get them to do something for the team is a bit of a lost cause.
Put simply the reward of the planets at the end should be enough and the exp is just there to soften the blow a little for the people who have to pick up the slack for those who won't help build.
Key difference: trading gains you experience that, if you are kicked from or leave your alliance, you retain. Trade benefits both individual and team (though mostly individual); building planets does nothing for the individual, and everything for the team. As it stands, building is an extremely altruistic task, and I don't think relying on altruism to get a galaxy done is fair. The reason there are so few dedicated builders is because its just grunt work that yields little to no personal benefit. A little experience is not much to ask for.

20k experience for a Level 70 will not make anybody spooky. Consider:

1) No single player every grabs *every build*
2) Galaxies typically have no more than 8 planets, so there's a max of 160k experience to be gained assuming the builder never takes a pod, never ops, etc.
3) If they do get 160k, its going to be 4-6 weeks into the game, at which point its not as though they will be the only one at 160k. For 4-6 weeks worth of work, 160k experience is about right.
If the reward of the planets themselves is not enough then surely we should be looking at that, rather than at making planet building better than trading for experience?
Planets are an alliance tool that require intense attention from usually one or a small number of players. Very few people can be on every 2-4 hours as building necessitates. That deserves a reward. I think the adequate reward is to give them experience so that when they emerge, they have a respectable (but not ungodly) amount of experience to enter combat with. 80k is not that respectable for 4-6 weeks worth of constant attention to planets. 160k is. That experience will even follow them if they leave the alliance after to run solo, or if they get kicked over some personal dispute.

Even on a general level - doesn't it make sense that a person building something gets experience for the act? In this game, you gain experience from trading, from fighting...experience from building seems equally fitting. I am all for increasing the reward for this largely under-appreciated aspect of the game.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Beausoleil wrote:Key difference: trading gains you experience that, if you are kicked from or leave your alliance, you retain. Trade benefits both individual and team (though mostly individual); building planets does nothing for the individual, and everything for the team. As it stands, building is an extremely altruistic task, and I don't think relying on altruism to get a galaxy done is fair. The reason there are so few dedicated builders is because its just grunt work that yields little to no personal benefit. A little experience is not much to ask for.
First of all I think it is bad if you go in with the assumption that you will either get kicked or leave the alliance during the game but besides that, yes, it is altruistic and often that is needed and adds something to the game. In TDZK you had repair carriers, TF2 has the medic, Enfo's/LoL have support characters, WoW has healers (unless I've been greatly mislead), none of these really take the glory for themselves but are key roles and there are people who do enjoy playing support roles. The moment you turn it into a role that is taken for selfish purposes then you take away the fact of it really being a support role and turn it into a game where everyone is encouraged to be just for themselves.
Sure, I agree it's not a role everyone will fill but that's exactly why there are different roles.
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

In all of those games, support characters have enough offense to do just fine on their own if they are not part of a team. Either way, this was not the point of increasing xp. The folks that build planets now would do it if it took away xp.

The problem is not enough people do it, and we need to fix that. I suggested adding more XP to building planets so that even folks that just like trading to super high xp will want to do it. See if your a big alliance that can attract and retain top players, building galaxies is pretty easy, even if nobody wants to do it, discipline is maintained and SOMEBODY will build. However in smaller alliances, they dont have that polish, nor do they have any real ability to kick folks that are not team players as there is nobody waiting to fill the gap. That rules them out of doing anything but sharing cash. If people WANTED to build planets because they could get ahead of the traders, it would make it possible for smaller alliances to build planet gals.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

the570z wrote:In all of those games, support characters have enough offense to do just fine on their own if they are not part of a team. Either way, this was not the point of increasing xp. The folks that build planets now would do it if it took away xp.

The problem is not enough people do it, and we need to fix that. I suggested adding more XP to building planets so that even folks that just like trading to super high xp will want to do it. See if your a big alliance that can attract and retain top players, building galaxies is pretty easy, even if nobody wants to do it, discipline is maintained and SOMEBODY will build. However in smaller alliances, they dont have that polish, nor do they have any real ability to kick folks that are not team players as there is nobody waiting to fill the gap. That rules them out of doing anything but sharing cash. If people WANTED to build planets because they could get ahead of the traders, it would make it possible for smaller alliances to build planet gals.
That is because there is not a lot of people playing the game. Find me 100 players and this becomes a non-issue.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

the570z wrote:In all of those games, support characters have enough offense to do just fine on their own if they are not part of a team.
Maybe for WoW (I only ever played a few hours as a Paladin back in beta), but for all the other games I listed I know that those support characters do not have enough offense to do fine on their own, they made their team much stronger by supporting than by playing another character, although on the off side it did not work if everyone chose support..

the570z wrote:The problem is not enough people do it, and we need to fix that.
If people are not doing it because the rewards of the planet are not enough to justify an alliance making a concerted effort to try and take them, then fine, however if it is just a bunch of people being selfish and greedy then that is not the fault of the game imo.
the570z wrote:If people WANTED to build planets because they could get ahead of the traders, it would make it possible for smaller alliances to build planet gals.
And then you get the issue of all the selfish players wanting to build the planets instead and having to try and get the people who actually do what is needed to trade instead, all it really does is shift the issue to the other side.
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

Page wrote:
the570z wrote:In all of those games, support characters have enough offense to do just fine on their own if they are not part of a team.
Maybe for WoW (I only ever played a few hours as a Paladin back in beta), but for all the other games I listed I know that those support characters do not have enough offense to do fine on their own, they made their team much stronger by supporting than by playing another character, although on the off side it did not work if everyone chose support..
I dunno about TDZK but even the league of legends chars are quite capable of defending themselves they wont get many kills but they are not useless without another hero around.
Page wrote:
the570z wrote:If people WANTED to build planets because they could get ahead of the traders, it would make it possible for smaller alliances to build planet gals.
And then you get the issue of all the selfish players wanting to build the planets instead and having to try and get the people who actually do what is needed to trade instead, all it really does is shift the issue to the other side.
This is wrong, for the simple reason that building cannot be done without trading, but trading can be done without building. If you encourage people to do things that require team based strategies, then perhaps those selfish players might learn how to be part of a team, if only to enrich themselves further.