XP loss

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: XP loss

Post by JettJackson »

Meh wrote:Another thing, which I believe you are utterly wrong on is that you talk as though all lvls are equal. But the amount of work it takes to gain each different lvl is not the same (as evident by the amount of xp between each lvl). So kiNky losing 'only' 1 lvl at lvl 23 (50,964 xp) down to lvl 22 (44,765 xp), is the not the same as Come Find Me losing 'only' 1 lvl at lvl 36.9 (205k xp), down to lvl 35 (175k xp).

Those 2 losses are not equivalent.

/sarcasm
If you want them to be equivalent & fair, then we should flatten the xp scale, instead of having it be exponential as it is. IE, there is 50 lvls from 0 xp to 500k xp, so lets flatten every lvl to 10k xp, so:
Lvl 0 = 0 to 9,999 xp.
Lvl 1 = 10,000 to 19,999 xp.
Lvl 3 = 20,000 to 29,999 xp.
Lvl 22 = 220,000 to 229,999 xp.
Lvl 23 = 230,000 to 239,999 xp.
Lvl 35 = 350,000 to 359,999 xp.
Lvl 36 = 360,000 to 369,999 xp.
Lvl 37 = 370,000 to 379,999 xp.
Lvl 49 = 490,000 to 499,999 xp.
Lvl 50 = 500,000+

Next, instead of being a percentage, you want it to cost multiple lvls, so lets take an automatic 20k on every death (so everyone always loses 2 lvls when they die), and then +/- 1k for every lvl difference between the poddee & podder. And lets give the podder an automatic 10k +/- 500 xp for every lvl difference.

So in this case, Lotus at lvl 1 (15k), and Come Find Me at lvl 20 (205k), Come Find Me would lose 20k + ((20 - 1) * 1k), for a total loss of 39k, or 3.9 lvls putting him 166k or lvl 16, and Lotus would gain 10k + ((20 - 1) * 500), for a total gain of 19.5k putting him at 34.5k or lvl 3 (2 lvls gained).

Is that a big enough punishment for Come Find Me then JJ? Would that make you happy and pleased with yourself?

/endsarcasm
Losing a level is equal at any level when it comes to the combat code and cloaking, like I had said...
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Meh
Quiet One

Post by Meh »

JettJackson wrote:Opping has a negative affect on your exp most of the time, because one death is crippling no matter what exp you are.
I don't know why you keep bring up opping. It's irrelevant to what we are arguing about. I keep telling you that you don't op for xp.
So the current rate of xp gain/loss from PvP has nothing to do with dying from an op. So in terms of 'opping' having less value then trading, then yes it does when it comes to gaining xp. Cause you don't gain xp in a op, or even money most of the time.

You op for other reasons that have an indirect benefit to xp & money, in that you build a better xp route, or better money route. Or you destroy your enemies' routes. Or their lander. Or their bonder.
All these things in opping can have an indirect benefit to xp & money, and no discernible way of directly measuring the exact benefit or loss (based on how much your oppers lose to pods) compared to how much you might gain from your traders on a route, or how much money/xp your enemies lose.

So you can't compare the money & xp gained from steady/active trading to that of opping. They aren't the same. So to continue to bring it into play about the amount gained/lost from PvP is totally irrelevant, and I fail to understand why you keep arguing it?
Meh
Quiet One

Post by Meh »

JettJackson wrote:Losing a level is equal at any level when it comes to the combat code and cloaking, like I had said...
And I'm telling you it isn't.
Putting in the work to get to lvl 25 at 65,045 and gain that bonus 25% accuracy (or whatever the formula is), to the work involved in getting to lvl 35 at 174,615 and gaining an additionally 10% (or whatever the formula is) is not the same.

Dropping from lvl 25 to lvl 24 at 57,698, (8k roughly), and losing 1% accuracy is not the same as dropping from lvl 35 to 34 at 160,310, (14k roughly), and losing 1% accuracy.
The 2 aren't equivalent. If you flattened the xp lvls, then going from lvl 25 to 24, and lvl 35 to 34 would be the same. But as it stands now, they aren't.

So you argument that losing a level is equal at any level is just plain stupid. They aren't equal in any way shape or form.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Meh wrote:
JettJackson wrote:Opping has a negative affect on your exp most of the time, because one death is crippling no matter what exp you are.
I don't know why you keep bring up opping. It's irrelevant to what we are arguing about. I keep telling you that you don't op for xp.
So the current rate of xp gain/loss from PvP has nothing to do with dying from an op. So in terms of 'opping' having less value then trading, then yes it does when it comes to gaining xp. Cause you don't gain xp in a op, or even money most of the time.

You op for other reasons that have an indirect benefit to xp & money, in that you build a better xp route, or better money route. Or you destroy your enemies' routes. Or their lander. Or their bonder.
All these things in opping can have an indirect benefit to xp & money, and no discernible way of directly measuring the exact benefit or loss (based on how much your oppers lose to pods) compared to how much you might gain from your traders on a route, or how much money/xp your enemies lose.

So you can't compare the money & xp gained from steady/active trading to that of opping. They aren't the same. So to continue to bring it into play about the amount gained/lost from PvP is totally irrelevant, and I fail to understand why you keep arguing it?
I bring up opping because when you die to a planet/port its a flat 1/3rd exp loss, which is very important to an exp loss discussion.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Meh wrote:
JettJackson wrote:Losing a level is equal at any level when it comes to the combat code and cloaking, like I had said...
And I'm telling you it isn't.
Putting in the work to get to lvl 25 at 65,045 and gain that bonus 25% accuracy (or whatever the formula is), to the work involved in getting to lvl 35 at 174,615 and gaining an additionally 10% (or whatever the formula is) is not the same.

Dropping from lvl 25 to lvl 24 at 57,698, (8k roughly), and losing 1% accuracy is not the same as dropping from lvl 35 to 34 at 160,310, (14k roughly), and losing 1% accuracy.
The 2 aren't equivalent. If you flattened the xp lvls, then going from lvl 25 to 24, and lvl 35 to 34 would be the same. But as it stands now, they aren't.

So you argument that losing a level is equal at any level is just plain stupid. They aren't equal in any way shape or form.
Honestly you are ignoring my point that LEVEL changes no matter what level is equal when it comes to the combat code and cloaking, the distance between levels is different yes but the code doesn't care what exp you are, it cares what level you are.

Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

In the combat code the difference between lvl 34 and 35 is larger than the difference between lvl 24 and 25 because it uses an exponential in the formula, so dropping from lvl 35 to 34 does have more of an effect than 25 to 24.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Not in terms of accuracy loss.
Use The Force(s)!
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Page wrote:
In the combat code the difference between lvl 34 and 35 is larger than the difference between lvl 24 and 25 because it uses an exponential in the formula, so dropping from lvl 35 to 34 does have more of an effect than 25 to 24.
This may be true but the distance in exp from level 35 to level 34 is much much larger than that of the distance from level 25 to 24.

Infinity wrote:Not in terms of accuracy loss.
Correct, and the same with the ability to cloak.

Meh
Quiet One

Post by Meh »

JettJackson wrote:Honestly you are ignoring my point that LEVEL changes no matter what level is equal when it comes to the combat code and cloaking, the distance between levels is different yes but the code doesn't care what exp you are, it cares what level you are.
I'm ignoring your point because you are wrong. A lvl 2 dying and dropping to lvl 1 is not the same as a lvl 50 dying and dropping to lvl 49. The levels are not equal. If they were, then there would be a flat amount of xp required for each lvl.
SpaceSock
Quiet One

Post by SpaceSock »

Meh wrote:
JettJackson wrote:Honestly you are ignoring my point that LEVEL changes no matter what level is equal when it comes to the combat code and cloaking, the distance between levels is different yes but the code doesn't care what exp you are, it cares what level you are.
I'm ignoring your point because you are wrong. A lvl 2 dying and dropping to lvl 1 is not the same as a lvl 50 dying and dropping to lvl 49. The levels are not equal. If they were, then there would be a flat amount of xp required for each lvl.
It is the same in terms of accuracy and cloaking ability. I do agree that losing a level at level 35 is different than a level 2 losing a level. However The XP loss to player is so tiny as to be rediculous. Whereas before the change it was 'too' high. The only ones who are really affected are the few who trade up massive amounts of XP. They have the most to lose with little to gain. Flat XP levels seems pretty fair to me. I do not feel comfortable with it though.