increase size of ship banners

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

increase size of ship banners

Post by N.ator »

i know you just recently increased the size of ship banners but could you increase the size to like 250kb? i wanted to buy one, but i dont want to make an image that is soo ":D" when it comes to quality!
ImageImage
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: increase size of ship banners

Post by Infinity »

250kB... boy's insane.

One SMR page is about 1/8 of that, AJAX call is under one kB...

4 different images (say TR has lots of ship tags) when reading news would be 1MB, as that is the only thing not blocked once you turn ship tags display off in preferences.
So imagine that you by accident have your browser's cache cleared, (you just got home, fired up the browser, logged on to chat and your mates need you fast as there's a stand off going on), you get jumped, some of your mates die, 4 guys from the same alliance with ship tags get kills, you manage to escape several sectors away and as you hit Read News 1MB loads into your browser - you notice the red background flashing, you hit CS in an attempt to escape, but you're lagging cause of that 1MB of ship tags - and you die. "STUPID LAG, STUPID GAME!" follows.

Are you sure you want this?

There is, of course, a remedy to this... every time you start your browser to play SMR, you turn on ship tag display in preferences, then click on every single player with a ship tag, so the images get cached into your browser and - then, finally, you can play safe from reloading them from the server if reading news in a bad situation, after you've turned ship tags off again.

Can we please not implement this?
Use The Force(s)!
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

i think it will be fine! think about going to lets say google images and you search an image. how quick does that come up? quick! goign to yahoo.com which is heavily imaged.
ImageImage
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

It will work just fine for people with very fast connection.... Not for Crusher or anyone using lame 3G or wi-fi.

Yahoo.com weighs 254kB - 3.69s load time
"space ship" image search on google... about 700k, load time of about 5s - hard to catch exactly as it loads with AJAX.

Those are times in which you're dead in SMR.

I am loading these from 7Mbps cable connection which allows me 2 shots per second in SMR often, 4 stacks refreshed per second and prolly travelling at about 3 sectors per second if I spam click "Follow plotted course", just for reference.
Use The Force(s)!
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

250kb is oversized or super high quality. I think we could however increase the size from 20kb and 200x30 to perhaps 250x100 and like 50 or 100kb without much lag for majority of folks. For those that need more speed(or cuz your on a slow connection) have an option to turn em off.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Not to mention that google has a huge number of servers distributed all around the world so a lot of the time you will be loading the images from a server pretty close to you.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

For those that need more speed(or cuz your on a slow connection) have an option to turn em off.
Even when you turn them off they are visible in the news, which can cause pods (read my scenario from the first post I made in this thread).
Use The Force(s)!
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Infinity wrote:
For those that need more speed(or cuz your on a slow connection) have an option to turn em off.
Even when you turn them off they are visible in the news, which can cause pods (read my scenario from the first post I made in this thread).
Well then dont read the news in the open, duh! ;)
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

I honestly dont think many people will get podded reading the news, at least any more then already do... lol. Images are normally the last thing to display, you should have your option to CS long before the tags show up. The link is active and you downloading images will not stop you from leaving page and abandoning that download.

Last of all, nobody here is taking into account the internet cache, the 3rd or 4th time you view a given ship tag, its stashed on your hard drive and your no longer downloading it just reading the file off the drive.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

the570z wrote:
Last of all, nobody here is taking into account the internet cache, the 3rd or 4th time you view a given ship tag, its stashed on your hard drive and your no longer downloading it just reading the file off the drive.
thank you! so really there is no reason why we cant increase the size!!
ImageImage