Make Trails

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Nix`
Quiet One

Make Trails

Post by Nix` »

Might make things slightly more interesting if you could make trails. Such as a location being in a dead end make it somehow possible to "break through" the walls and have other sectors link to it.

Also make it possible to break off other connections. Of course then you coould bust a planet and lock someone in so anything that has a location or player cannot be broken up.

Could make / destory long uno routes for planets... wreck routes etc.
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

you mean like a short range emergency thrust booster? randomly shoots you 5 sectors away in any random order?
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Nix`
Quiet One

Post by Nix` »

No, example...

Planet is in sector 5. Sector 5 is linked by all surrounding sectors.

Alliance 1 has had issues with Alliance 2 busting it a lot and dancing through the mine field with little difficulty. This is because the planet is 2(Sector 4,3) from the warp and 7(4,3, Warp) from a UNO in total.

So Alliance 1 decide to close the route off... they destroy the path to sector 4 for starters but can't destory the sector 3 as the warp exists there. So in theory they've just added an extra 3 / 4 turns to get into the planet (2 in reality :p).

Of course they also have the option to invest heavily and make it only so 1 path to said planet exists. Of course Alliance 2 can come along now and re-create the paths.
z-money
Quiet One

Post by z-money »

would you need a special kind of very expensive ship for this or just a lot of WBs?
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Interesting. It sounds like you're talking about altering and reshaping the space/time continuum to suit your whim.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Nix`
Quiet One

Post by Nix` »

Yup thats it exactly :)

What it would require is difficult. If its too easy obviously they place will get screwed up... but it also means its easy to reverse any changes. Would be difficult to impliment correctly I think.

That said it could provide a lot of new options to alliances / players
Travdan
Quiet One

Post by Travdan »

Nix` wrote:What it would require is difficult. If its too easy obviously they place will get screwed up... but it also means its easy to reverse any changes. Would be difficult to impliment correctly I think.

That said it could provide a lot of new options to alliances / players
Not only is it a very interesting idea, but you understand the delicacy of the situation (which is very important).
axisofunity
Beta Tester

Post by axisofunity »

tbh though Space doesn't have these 'barriers' you're talking about. Indeed Mine Fields are pretty close to stretching reality as space is meant to be 3D and you *can* ALWAYS go round something....

If you could alter the galaxy map you'd damage newbie players who wouldn't have the power or knowledge to change it back.

If you could alter the galaxy map you'd allow alliances to create 'corridors' of power for example leading from one planet to an UNO or CA etc

If you could alter the galaxy map you'd really screw the solo players in a slow ship such as a PSF, because they wouldn't have alliance mates who could spend turns (and have ships with decent speed / hard points) to destroy / create these 'routes'.

IMHO although this idea is very interesting, it will cause a huge amount of problems. Especially for those players we want to keep, the new ones.

I also think the coding would be a nightmare as each sector would have to have individual exclusions / inclusions depending on what was in it. Do you follow? Kinda like, you couldn't alter FED space or location space or warp space etc.

Also, it would create server performance issues wouldn't it? The reason being that ports use distance to calculate profit / xp for goods. If routes were always changing, calculation time would increase as one sector change could affect many ports.

Additionally, doing this would mean tools such as SMC and MGU as well as basic galaxy maps would be pretty useless. I think this would cause the following:

1) Lack of development of 3rd party applications

2) Less money coming into SMR. I'll explain: I paid $50 or so this game for maps of every galaxy which I then shared in password maps. I used this for the alliance I'm in as well. I'm not going to pay that money if the maps change in the first week of game play. Therefore removing a source of SMR income...

Finally, I know this is all negative comments, but I really feel that SMR needs to concentrate on the small things first.

The bugs I reported months ago aren't fixed, I voluntered help as a newbie helper and in other areas and didn't hear anything etc.

Sorry for being negative
Nix`
Quiet One

Post by Nix` »

axisofunity wrote: If you could alter the galaxy map you'd damage newbie players who wouldn't have the power or knowledge to change it back.
Chances are newb's wont notice ;) No dead ends in essence would be created from it. Would be a problem of course but nothing major
If you could alter the galaxy map you'd allow alliances to create 'corridors' of power for example leading from one planet to an UNO or CA etc
Thats the idea ;) Add's something to alliance war's. This also means Alliances planet galaxies could get shafted after that 20 turn uno trip is turned into something like a 10 turn trip
If you could alter the galaxy map you'd really screw the solo players in a slow ship such as a PSF, because they wouldn't have alliance mates who could spend turns (and have ships with decent speed / hard points) to destroy / create these 'routes'.
Solo players can get heavily shafted when an alliance busts the best routes. They have to adapt or join an alliance usually.
IMHO although this idea is very interesting, it will cause a huge amount of problems. Especially for those players we want to keep, the new ones.
New players can't complain about what the game used to be like... they didn't play :p
I also think the coding would be a nightmare as each sector would have to have individual exclusions / inclusions depending on what was in it. Do you follow? Kinda like, you couldn't alter FED space or location space or warp space etc.
The scripting would be there already. Not sure what the SMR database structure is like. But it should be ok (For MySql) and would already have the galaxy layout inclusive of all locations, traders, forces stored.
Also, it would create server performance issues wouldn't it? The reason being that ports use distance to calculate profit / xp for goods. If routes were always changing, calculation time would increase as one sector change could affect many ports.
Currently 500 players on a beast of a machine :) But I'm unsure as what the setup is for SMR.
Additionally, doing this would mean tools such as SMC and MGU as well as basic galaxy maps would be pretty useless. I think this would cause the following:

1) Lack of development of 3rd party applications

2) Less money coming into SMR. I'll explain: I paid $50 or so this game for maps of every galaxy which I then shared in password maps. I used this for the alliance I'm in as well. I'm not going to pay that money if the maps change in the first week of game play. Therefore removing a source of SMR income...
Ports are changed all the time, be it via raids or upgrades. Mine fields can also make areas of the map inaccessable to most. Updating your SMC / MGU is already common practice amongst most :)
Finally, I know this is all negative comments, but I really feel that SMR needs to concentrate on the small things first.

The bugs I reported months ago aren't fixed, I voluntered help as a newbie helper and in other areas and didn't hear anything etc.

Sorry for being negative
I can outdo negativity... its been a long week hehehe. Valid point all the same. Still good to have idea's there to be considered :)
Carnuth
Quiet One

Post by Carnuth »

make it applicable in planet galaxies only, we can think of barriers as something similar to asteroid belts and such, floating obstacles put there or taken away etc. Hey, we should have Suns! thad be awesome
dawnrazors, shadow, system failure, cereal killers, death control, suckas, armory