SMR2 -> Mines Revamped

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

SMR2 -> Mines Revamped

Post by OmegaRenegade »

I think part of the reason we're having such a hard time coming up with a solution we all can deal with is that we are all trying to solve different problems. I figure the best way to come up with a viable solution is to list the problems we would like solved, then from that list we can come to an agreement of what things need to be adressed and form a solution from that.
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

Right, sorry OR, I meant to get to this earlier - here goes.

There are two things with mines that I think need to be fixed:

1) Using singles mines to drain 3 turns away. There have been several solutions proposed to this, and I think I can safely say I like most of what's been proposed - this is an easy problem to solve, and even agree on, really, as long as low amounts of mines don't drain the same amount of turns as large amounts.

2) Reducing the number of mines, or the area they maintain "control" over. This is where most of our problems are, I think - there are several ways to go at this, and no easy way to determine the best one. Increasing mine cost, decreasing overall money, changing the way mines are used or how they can be used....etc.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

RandyOrsolo wrote:2) Reducing the number of mines, or the area they maintain "control" over. This is where most of our problems are, I think - there are several ways to go at this, and no easy way to determine the best one. Increasing mine cost, decreasing overall money, changing the way mines are used or how they can be used....etc.
The first one ajusting the turn lost would be moving in the right direction.
Other then that ajusting money in the game will help anything else. I don't think its wise to change mines to much because of the way they are used in the game.

1) Mining off an area of the galaxy so you can park in dead end sectors.
2) Mining your trade routes.
3) Mining to defend your planet galaxy.
4) Mining to hunt.

There are a few more but as you can see mines are a key part of the game so there isn't any easy solution. But to tell you the true I don't have a problem with mines, I don't like losing three turns to them but other then that, mines are just fine. If I want something in the game and it is mined-in, I just pick something else, it makes the game fun. Increase the cost and lower the money in the game, you will see less mines. Just those two thing will change other things in the game also. Like how soon you will see hunter, how soon before an alliance can start to build planets, the upgrading of ships, how many Ops you can do and when you can start them, planet building.
Travdan
Quiet One

Post by Travdan »

I think it is safe to say that RandyOrsolo gave the two major concerns.

We have solved the first problem. All ideas proposed include this solution.

The second problem is much more complicated, and Freon elaborated pretty concisely. All proposed solutions still allow #3 and #4.

It's #1 and #2 where we are getting hung up.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

Freon22 wrote: There are a few more but as you can see mines are a key part of the game so there isn't any easy solution. But to tell you the true I don't have a problem with mines, I don't like losing three turns to them but other then that, mines are just fine. If I want something in the game and it is mined-in, I just pick something else, it makes the game fun. Increase the cost and lower the money in the game, you will see less mines. Just those two thing will change other things in the game also. Like how soon you will see hunter, how soon before an alliance can start to build planets, the upgrading of ships, how many Ops you can do and when you can start them, planet building.
Not everyone has the option to "choose something else" though, and often its not even just about choosing something else, its about movement, and its even about control.

I have a feeling in SMR2 people will pay more attention to what weapon configs they use, and there will be more variety, but I really feel we need an "open" game alot of people hate the feeling of having so much of the game blocked off by mines
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will