Reworking Of Planet Busts

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

DPR

Reworking Of Planet Busts

Post by DPR »

I think we should make planets like they used to. When a planet loses all shield/drones, it should not pop. All the ships should stay on the planet, and return fire from the planet. This will put an end to mass parking 30 ships on one planet, and firing like mad when the planet pops. I think mass parking is kinda lame. You shouldn't need twenty + ships to go after a planet. If the enemy ships stay on planet (like they used to, why was this changed to begin with? Any one know the rationale behind the change?), the attacking team can uno as needed. This change will most likely have alliances parking on several different planets, making it more important to build all your planets around the clock. I also think this should be implemented before next game. Discuss.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Back when Spock frist coded SMR a close copy of SM. He coded it so all ship launch when planets defends are gone. In order to change it some of the code would have to be rewriten then tested.

Even if everyone all agreed we don't have a coder anymore. I like the idea but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

Yeah I've always been partial to the older way. It made cloaks a tiny bit weaker. Couldn't park on a planet cause you'd fire and what not.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Uhm in old SM i don't remember not getting popped off the planet. ANd even if you didn't, you all still fired together. Whatever your talking about DR I think is from the "new" SM.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

No it was the old SM. Died many times on a planet back then. lol

PS, You could only do return fire. Like when you are attacked your ship auto returns fire.
Last edited by Freon22 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Well if that is the case, I would never land on a planet. You would get no benefit to landing in a lvl 70 if you woulda all die one at a time to a whole incoming fleet above the planet. Why bother when you can armin 40 turns and never risk dieing to a ludicrous way of planet combating?
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Planet galaxies were much larger back then. An attacking fleet could not take more then one level 70 in an OP if they were good that is.

PS, You also could not arm in 40 turns back then, more like 100 to 200 turns. If you could get through the mine fields to the weapons shops.
Last edited by Freon22 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

Sterling wrote:The way it used to worK:

When planets defenses were down, 10 randoms from planet (orup to 10) would fire at up to 10 randoms from attacking fleet. Like a fleet fight for the planet. Planet was still owned by the defenders until they were all gone.

Would force a change of al otof tactics. Would mass parking really be less effective? I'd say no, bust a 70 then kill 30 parkers (even with unoing) is a whole lot harder then just busting a 70. But the attackers get to uno too, lots of different considerations.

Personaly, either way the good players will figure out how to use it to their advantage.
Well one way it would change is you can't return fire from the planet. As it is now, you get launched off the planet, and anyone online can trigger on the raiding fleet.

With the old way, the only thing online people could do is restock the planet or run. And yes the original way is you fired in defense of the planet. You knew there was cream on the planet if you got "Planet Defenses are destroyed. [button]Continue Attack[/button]". If there were no defenders there wouldn't be a continue attack button, it would be a Land button.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
DPR

Post by DPR »

Yeah Sterling I think it would really make mass parking 1000x less effective. Because if the attacking team does it right and gets a little luck on their side they could kill everyone on the planet without getting a single pod. Now they would have to have saved turns and used those turns properly, but it could be done. So I think most alliances would scatter their fleets around in order to cut losses if they lose a planet. And you would no longer need to have 20-25 ships to hit a lander, which is bad. Most alliances can't get those numbers. You should not be completely safe on a planet, but when you got 28-30 birds on a planet (under the current system), you are bout as safe as you are in FED.

Maybe we could boost the planet defenses a little bit, add more gen or something to make it harder to take a lvl 70 planet (although they would no longer be lvl 70 if more gen were added =P). But I think this would make the game a lot more fun. lvl 70's would still provide some safety because they're not easy to take, and you wont lose more than one an op. So if you get op'ed and they take a planet you are gonna lose 5-6 ships. When a team goes through the hard work to take a lvl 70, they should get some cream.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

We don't need to strengthen planets, we just need to cap max turns at 400.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!