Alliance cap

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

I like Ardbeg's revised option 1...... it doesn't stop what people are doing now, it just puts a price on it... whether the price is too steep or not is their decision... Also, if a 'well coordinated' alliance aka supernerds wants to figure away how to rotate into an alliance without hurting them let them.... but make them have to use their mathematical skills and not just do it for free...

Like Mar said earlier we often try to control players actions in the game, like him, i don't think it should be controlled.... just ummm regulated :D
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

I really dont see a problem, you all jump on this stuff way too fast
Shtoopid
Quiet One

Post by Shtoopid »

Well, whats the point of having a cap on an alliance member list if nobody has to follow it.
Creel
Quiet One

Post by Creel »

Just thinking on my feet a little bit here.

Aim
- stop/limit jumping in an out of a particular alliance (usually a high level alliance)

But not
- eliminate merged ops
- unnecessarily penalise normal joining of an alliance

I personally like the scaled turn cost (eg the 10x turn rate or similar) but as the current suggestion sits, if one wants to temporarily join another alliance for an op then they have double the turn cost (ie the cost of joining the opping alliance plus the cost of returning to their original alliance)

Heres my modification to the current discussion
1. Turn cost of joining alliance implemented (eg 10x turn rate of current ship)
2. New alliances have period of free joining (eg 6 hours real time)
3. Once leaving a top 10 alliance, no player may ever return to that same alliance *this one will get some squeals*

What this does:
- if ops are done by a new alliance, all members of the op have the cost of rejoining their old alliance only. All oppers have a cost, not just a few.
- any kills that come from the new alliances op do not add to the original alliances tally. Which seems fair as it is not all the original alliances members participating.
- someone wishing to join an existing alliance for an op can but it costs double as detailed above (in my view this penalty is fair, the practice should be dissuaded)
- top 10 alliances should be totally dissuaded from joint opping, fiddling the rules etc. They are strong enough in their own right. If they cannot organise an op amongst themselves then that is their problem. A top ten alliance working with another alliance informally is effectively a 60 player alliance no matter what way I look at it, unfair to lesser alliances and against the spirit of the game.

what this does not do:
- stop top 10 alliances completely disbanding and reforming as a new alliance. But at least this will be pretty damn obvious for all to see and can be penalised some other way eg bans, whatever

In my opinion the alliance system should encouraging tight knit groups working together (ie the alliance) and any deviation from this should have a cost and/or be eliminated. However in the interests of the game, smaller alliances need some slack, they get very little currently.
Astax
SMR Coder

Post by Astax »

Number 3 will make anyone squel. But it makes sense sort of. Overall I like it. However modify the joining so that each player has a one time free join per game. I dont want to waste newbie turns joinign alliance. And it woudl really hurt at the start of the round.
Mar
Quiet One

Post by Mar »

I say make everyone only be able to join the alliance once. If you leave you can't rejoin.
Sure it will kill any chance smaller alliances have of fighting the big ones, but they could just make a large alliance in the first place and have that problem solved.
Then you have to see if it's worth keeping a member who will be inactive for 3 weeks or not.
=)

It takes one to be one!
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Creel wrote: Heres my modification to the current discussion
1. Turn cost of joining alliance implemented (eg 10x turn rate of current ship)
2. New alliances have period of free joining (eg 6 hours real time)
3. Once leaving a top 10 alliance, no player may ever return to that same alliance *this one will get some squeals*
I like #1 and #2 but #3 does bother me for a couple of reasons. First, it relies on a definition of "top 10 alliance" which would need to be defined very clearly somehow. Secondly, it seems too restrictive and I suspect it would prevent more harmless tasks than harmful ones and that is IMO undesirable.
that which pods you makes you stronger
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

How about we try this for one game. Alliance's have 30 spots. Once a spot is filled it can't be filled again. If you should happen to end up in an alliance of 5 actives and the rest just sitting around fed because they left the game and are not playing anymore then thats your problem.

Or how about if you want to replace a player in your allaince with another player then you need to get a admin to do it for you or someone the admins have given the powers to.

I think this will work because I guess a certain group of players can't trust another group of players. However certain players don't fully trust admins either.

Maybe admins and committee members should be required to be part of a Admin Alliance.
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

I see advantages to both a turn cost (for example 10* ship speed* game speed) or some kind of limit to the number of times you can join a particular alliance (for example, 3) or even a limit to the number of times you can join any alliance (for example, 5 - with a warning before you leave an alliance for the 5th time).

The important thing is to try to penalize repeated alliance hopping without hurting legitimate alliance switching too much.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

....i like it.