Port Raids revisited....

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

piratedan
Quiet One

Port Raids revisited....

Post by piratedan »

HK and I were drinking and BSsing and came up with a couple of ideas for people to kick around that would make port raiding more of a tactical challenge as well as a political one.

Change #1

Make racial ports unchangable, i.e. ports in racial galaxies retain their races when busted. I.E. the galaxy that the port is in truly matters and while the alliance can rake in the cash from the port, they can't change the race, although they can definately affect the goods remaining on the port.

- Why? so that newbies and traders and others joining the game late, still have routes to trade (and be hunted at). Doesn't make sense to change the race of the port until racial wars really matter, ports are raided by alliances, not racially aligned fleets, so why should that affect a racial port within it's own racial galaxy.

possible tweaker to this. the alliance that raids the port, gets a 5% cut of the port profits to their AA daily, post the PR and the port retains 5% of it's profit for upgrades.

Change #2

Neutral galaxy and planet galaxy ports - once they are raided by an alliance, they fall under control of that alliance. Namely, any member of the alliance that controls that port(s) can trade that port under full rels. Any member outside that alliance sees the port as a Neutral port and has to bargain appropriately. You can add the potential tweaker to this suggestion as well. Means that ports become part of the neutral galaxy and planet galaxy turf wars just like warps and planets. Doesn't bar trade, but makes neutral galaxy routes a bit more important strategically speaking.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Port Raids revisited....

Post by Ardbeg »

piratedan wrote:HK and I were drinking and BSsing and came up with a couple of ideas for people to kick around that would make port raiding more of a tactical challenge as well as a political one.

Change #1

Make racial ports unchangable, i.e. ports in racial galaxies retain their races when busted. I.E. the galaxy that the port is in truly matters and while the alliance can rake in the cash from the port, they can't change the race, although they can definately affect the goods remaining on the port.

- Why? so that newbies and traders and others joining the game late, still have routes to trade (and be hunted at). Doesn't make sense to change the race of the port until racial wars really matter, ports are raided by alliances, not racially aligned fleets, so why should that affect a racial port within it's own racial galaxy.
I like this idea, racial ports in racial galaxies should not change
possible tweaker to this. the alliance that raids the port, gets a 5% cut of the port profits to their AA daily, post the PR and the port retains 5% of it's profit for upgrades.
Not so keen on this part, all it does is give yet more cash to the major alliances and nothing to the little guys. We need tweaks that go in the opposite direction IMO.
Change #2

Neutral galaxy and planet galaxy ports - once they are raided by an alliance, they fall under control of that alliance. Namely, any member of the alliance that controls that port(s) can trade that port under full rels. Any member outside that alliance sees the port as a Neutral port and has to bargain appropriately. You can add the potential tweaker to this suggestion as well. Means that ports become part of the neutral galaxy and planet galaxy turf wars just like warps and planets. Doesn't bar trade, but makes neutral galaxy routes a bit more important strategically speaking.
Not a good idea, since this leads to yet another way for the major alliances to create and control cash cows. All they need to do is take ownership of a couple of key mid level ports early and then milk them for the rest of the game.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
ipod
Quiet One

Post by ipod »

I agree with Ard
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: Port Raids revisited....

Post by JettJackson »

rejected
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all