IG

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

the IG is fine people are fooled by it sometimes, yes its not the strongest tech but then again it is also on the strongest ship, so to have a weak tech on a strong ship is what we would call game balance
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

I dunno, I personally hate fighting an IG'ed ship 1v1, because usually they IG as themselves, but fully unoed. If I come across an EoS and take a shot or 2, guy runs around a bit and I chase him, end up being in sector with him, even after my 2 shots he's still /20 in CS. Yeah, yeah, you could scan to get his real defense rating, but in some cases scanning means losing your target. So now you're looking at this "/20", you're not fully unoed and you have NO CLUE is he is unoed or not until you go ahead and Examine him. IMO thats a nice feature for the IG, very deceptive and tricky, if you Examine him and he really ends up being /20 while you aren't unoed, you're probably dead, or close to dying. Sure there are ways to get around this by Scanning him, or Examining, or just UNOing (the wisest of all idea, unoing before engaging again), but with the fast paced gameplay of SMR, some might just chase for the kill because on the previous shots they were hitting 500 to 200 and 400 to 150 or something good. If they end up losing the guy on local for a few, you don't know what he could be doing- he could be unoing, running farther, sitting around scared out of his pants, or setting a trap for you.

Maybe the IG could use a small tweak to make it better, but the way it is isn't as underpowered as some might think.
Green Skulls, Crimson and Clover, Army of Cuda, Suckas, Armory, Armory v2, Green Skulls, Lords of the Pings, Green Skulls, Ingenious!
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

The tweak that I suggested way back when is that an IG'ed ship scans as their IG'ed "weight", but the examine works as it does now. In other words, if you IG your EoS as a 1/6 IST, you will scan as 60. At least that forces players to go to the examine screen to get past the IG. As it is now, you can scan & enter and know immediately if the ship weights don't add up that there is an IG in play.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Ardbeg wrote:The tweak that I suggested way back when is that an IG'ed ship scans as their IG'ed "weight", but the examine works as it does now. In other words, if you IG your EoS as a 1/6 IST, you will scan as 60. At least that forces players to go to the examine screen to get past the IG. As it is now, you can scan & enter and know immediately if the ship weights don't add up that there is an IG in play.
this is only logical change that i think would be needed on IG, except make it such that it works like cloak, so you scan an ig ship if you are above the scanner.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

DWill
Admin Emeritus

Post by DWill »

As long as you limit the maximum scan an IG is able to have, for example if he can set it to 9999/9999 thats gonna really throw off the scans for fleet fights or really any situation.
-when there is a will there is a way
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

DWill wrote:As long as you limit the maximum scan an IG is able to have, for example if he can set it to 9999/9999 thats gonna really throw off the scans for fleet fights or really any situation.
Also a valid concern

buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

DWill wrote:As long as you limit the maximum scan an IG is able to have, for example if he can set it to 9999/9999 thats gonna really throw off the scans for fleet fights or really any situation.
Would be an interesting thing to have happen, for sure. You'd have to place a cloaker IS over the fleet to get a REAL scan.
Green Skulls, Crimson and Clover, Army of Cuda, Suckas, Armory, Armory v2, Green Skulls, Lords of the Pings, Green Skulls, Ingenious!
DWill
Admin Emeritus

Post by DWill »

I think if you limited it to the highest possible defensive rating (MS I believe /23) or hell /30 or /40 to throw off scans a bit then that suggested change is fine. But that /9999 would make the scans useless and IG way over powered considering that it always works, a person of any level can use it, and the EoS is already a pretty good ship.

I wouldn't mind seeing the scanning information based on experience either, for example say a lvl 15 player sets his IG for 9999/9999 so another player of equal or lower lvl would scan and see a result that reflects the IG. However, if say a lvl 16 person scanned he would see the true scan, but if he entered the same sector as the IG ship was in he would see the IG as it is set (like it is now).

**Edit** didn't see that JJ had the same idea as me already, sorry.
-when there is a will there is a way
Penglund
Quiet One

Post by Penglund »

I agree with Shtoopid to a point. The IG DOES need improved. i think it could be an interesting twist in fleet fights if you could improve your IG to seem like a whole fleet. Then a fleet of only a few could scare away a fleet of 15.
Alpha Factor, Willowstrance, Reincarnation, Reborn Again, The Order,Sesame Street, System Failure, Beyond DivinityDogs of War, New Dawn, Armory, Armory v2
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

FIX THE IG ON SCAN!