Ships

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

very fun idea HK

I like it a lot but give it a chance to live make it like /7 or 8

Id definitely run a tow service all game maybe make a towers alliance and just charge people for a tow when they get stranded

man it sounds so fun would be crazy to tow ships to an op so the WBs would have full turns

would need to be carefully considered for balance

good idea way to bring something different but still fun
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Harry Krishna wrote:I think a towing ship might add something to the game. New technology would be a tractor beam.

Tow Truck
Shields: 100
Armor: 100
Speed: 8
Hard points: 1
Mines: 0
CDs: 0
Scouts: 0

This would be a neutral utility ship used for one purpose: pulling ships from place to place. Primarily ships that are stranded could be brought to fed or some other place of safety.

Tractor Beam: new technology installed allows for one ship to pull another at a rate of 3x normal turn cost. Limits on tractor beam are that you can't engage the tractor in federal beacon sector to pull someone out of fed.

i think it probabaly wouldnt be used as much as you think. because hey man im in my eos and i dont want to go and get that ship and loose all of my turns and just waste 100 turns there. hey ill just go clear 3 sectors so then hes safe. and able to get back to fed. idk though i do like the idea though.
ImageImage
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Lately, We have been talking about in the open space there well be asteriod belts and gas clouds and such. what i think we should do is maybe make a whole new race completely and have it so there special abbility is that they dont see asteriod belts...thats sortof just like wq(cloak) nj(drone scambeler) Salvene(illusion) Human(Jump). idk im just throwing up some ideas...
ImageImage
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

Poca wrote:Lately, We have been talking about in the open space there well be asteriod belts and gas clouds and such. what i think we should do is maybe make a whole new race completely and have it so there special abbility is that they dont see asteriod belts...thats sortof just like wq(cloak) nj(drone scambeler) Salvene(illusion) Human(Jump). idk im just throwing up some ideas...
Poca keep it to the threads topic.
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
kerkem
Quiet One

Post by kerkem »

i dont think the suggestion was for people to swap ships from top racials to help tow other ships through mines. I think its more desigend for towing ships to OPS, towing ships that run out of turns to planet or fed sector.
Kerkem
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

towing booted inactives away from lander as to not give away its position
Shtoopid
Quiet One

Post by Shtoopid »

Op class battleships. Perhaps give them an ablative armor of sorts. I.E. 3 different shields that all hold 100. And perhaps 2 levels of armor that hold 50 each but drones would stop after the first one. While those would be a possible one shot to a warbird. Planet and port based defenses would not be able to kill them. They should get at least 7-8 hps and have the ability to carry one extra of each level weapon with slight tweaks per normal racial bias. I.E. Thevian gets 7 weps and is faster, Creo loses one bank of sheilds but can carry 3 lvl 5s 4 lvl 4s... perhaps has 9 weps too. An unguarded one of these would fall easily even to a mid racial but in the right fleet configuration they could prove to be quite powerfull.
Dark Cloud

A different concept of a ship

Post by Dark Cloud »

As I read thru this thread.. One thing struck me.. It's about fire power.. Maybe it's the prior military in me.. and maybe I missed a post or two (I am catching up on five years of change, so forgive me) But one of the most important aspects of an operation is intelligence gathering, yet I have not found anything regarding scout ships.. What I would propose is a neutral scout ship, but unlike the one you see in the begining of the game that's used for exploration.. The ship's ingame coding would reflect it's 'stealth' and ability to get in and out of ALL situations.. so the appearance of the numbers I would suggest might seem strange..

First.. It would have no weapons, as any scout ship should.. as well as no cargo holds.. perhaps a 14/turns per hour.. it is fast, can go long distances etc..

Now, here's where I would make this ship invaluable to any alliance looking to 'invade' or scout enemy territory etc.. and make it 'worthwhile' to fly late in a game.. It would come with a scanner and a jump drive.. one CD, one mine and one scout.. and it would be heavily armored and shielded, perhaps 1000/1000..

Now before anyone pooh-pooh's that paragraph, especially the 'defense' as we traditionally think of armor/shield as absolute.. Let me explain my thinking..

first, the one CD, mine, scout.. this would give it some 'escape' ability.. as well as a secondary purpose as a seeding vessel.. Most workhorse military vehicles serve more than one purpose.. The C-130 has been an offensive, defensive and transport aircraft for the military for decades. If an alliance has three or four of them, they can 'harrass' an alliance in their 'own turf' with annoying little presents.. aform of guerilla warfare.. the possibilities are endless to an imaginative pilot/strategist..

Next, and the thing that gets the traditionalists the most.. the heavy defenses.. the numbers do not indicate a thickness of the hull, but the difficulty with which to kill the vehicle.. I imagine the 'scout ship' to be a single seater the size of mid sized car.. It should have a manueverabilty that makes it very difficult to kill, even in very hot zones.. In this case, the heavy armor/shielding gives it a greater opportunity to escape.. which is it's secondary objective after intelligence gathering.. I don't know if I would make it immune to minefields or give it a cloak, arguments could go either way, but this certainly would be a useful ship at a point in the game when it would be needed the most, mid game forward..

Feel free to critique the concept.. This ship is not about firepower, but preparation for war..
Shtoopid
Quiet One

Post by Shtoopid »

I like the idea but I think the way to go with it would be to make it immune to forces and perhaps a 600/200. If it had no weapons and a high tph it could be a really usefull tool for scouting planet galaxies and looking for parked cloakers. This game needs more single purpose ships, and more purposes for them.
Shtoopid
Quiet One

Post by Shtoopid »

I just wanted to bump the idea of a Minesweeper class ship, perhaps make it a nij low mid racial to give that race a much needed boost. It can carry 50-100 mines and perhaps 45-50 scouts. its big ability would be to be able to pick up enemy forces with a timer(such as what happens with refresh all). This does not burn turns and the ship can lay mines only X seconds after picking up enemy forces(im thinking 20-30 seconds) It would have limited weaponry(1-2 guns tops) and around /8-9 defense, a much lower chance of hitting mines(perhaps 20% of normal) and perhaps carry a couple(2-3) "navigation drones" which would grant allied ships the abilty to dodge mine stacks below 25 and a reduced hit rate from larger stacks.