Auction - Market

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Auction - Market

Post by Harry Krishna »

SMR could have a market place where players can put items up for sale. It could be an auction where the highest bidder takes it, or it could be a simple pay the asked price and go.

I would like to see everything available for sale: ships, weapons, port goods, special planet-produced goods (see my barricade idea), other special items that we haven't invented yet.

Some may say this would unbalance the game and everyone would have perfect weapon setups, but really I think the prices people would charge for a CBD or a WQSV would prevent this. And considering how easily most of us blow up, the cost to replace a inaccessible weapon on the market would be high.

This isn't a new idea. Most browser games offer something similar. It would increase a players ability to have personal wealth in the game, would give players something to do besides trade/hunt/OP.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I remember you bring this up once before. I liked the idea then and still like it. It adds more player interaction, which is something that the game is slowly losing imo.
canff
Beta Tester

Post by canff »

ya it is a good idea.... but you could have alliances just get one player to buy everything for their alliance and market it for a cheap price or a way to save turns...
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

hey, /me goes calls up my close smr friend whos alskant. hey dude can you action off your amt man. since im WQ i cant get it, buti could get a ton of exp. form your ATM!

Sure man! ill sell it a really low price for you to man.
Ok thanks man! i owe you.

this is what would happen. and there would be no point to go any race.
ImageImage
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Poca wrote:Sure man! ill sell it a really low price for you to man.
Ok thanks man! i owe you.
This just shows that you do not understand what HK said. Didn't you see the word auction in his post? You do not get to pick who gets what you are selling. His idea does need some work and a open I am selling this to whoever I want for what ever price I want to sell it for would not work.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I think the way for this to work is, you would have to go to an Auction - Market house. You would have to put it up for sell there setting your price. Other would then have the chance to bid on your item at or above your asking price. You do not get to see who won your item and you have to pay a fee to the auction house for their services.

You should also be restricted on how offen you can put things up for auction. We don't want this to become a new form of funding an alliance.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Honestly, I am not sure I see the problem with letting people exchange items for whatever prices they choose.

SMR is the ONLY game I have ever played where people cannot transfer items between eachother in some way -- either free gifts or for a price. To me this is a major drawback to the game and limits interaction.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

This is different then what I remember then. Could you explain in more detail.

What would this do to war/peace in the game. If I can not buy a weapon because my race is at war this the race that has a weapon I want. I can still buy it at the market house? I can buy a HHG even if I am evil? I can buy other races ships?

If I am in an alliance we can trade ships and weapons between us. If I am Ik'Thorne I can buy a MS give it to one of my team mates then go and buy another one and give it to another alliance member.... on and on until we have 10 or 15 MS's.

How do you stop this from being abused? In price? How does the price get set? If it is a gift then what is to stop me from arming my whole alliance with the best weapons and ships in the game?

If I am seting the price and I know that someone within my alliance is buying it then the money is still in my alliance? Right?

I am looking for the penalty of getting items this way.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Granted, in most other games all the players are humans without the racial limitations SMR has. So they can buy or give weapons, money, and other items to their teammates and their friends easily and YES everyone has the best weapons they can get if they are "connected".

You see this now even in SMR, where a few teams have complete maps in the first 10 minutes of the game. They share or not as they like.

In terms of player interaction and looking towards the future where SMR has 100s or 1000s of players, I think there is some merit to having an open market place. I also think that race limits should still have a strong influence in what players can buy. Someone smarter than me should give it some serious thought.

Buying Creonti weapons on the market place if your race is at war with them is a perfect example of the motivation for the buyer. The motivation for the seller is simple: profit or influence. They bought that CBD either at full price at the shop or from someone else on the market for the market price. Losing money on the deal is one motivator to curb abuse.

If you have 15 CBDs for sale, the lowest price will sell first. If the lowest price is 3million then you either buy or you don't. The CBD selling for 100 will go fast and there is no guarantee who the buyer will be.

There is nothing stopping other games from arming their players with the best weapons if they have the money or the influence. Most other games don't restart after 3 months or let you die so fast and make you start over from scratch when you die. Those two limits are significant.

Edited: and as for the auction, that might be best because the highest bidder would win and that would ensure that low prices would be discouraged.
Sufex
Quiet One

Post by Sufex »

Harry Krishna wrote:and YES everyone has the best weapons they can get if they are "connected". .
Can someone explain to me how it would be unbalanced if everyone can get it?