Auction - Market

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Sufex wrote:
Harry Krishna wrote:and YES everyone has the best weapons they can get if they are "connected". .
Can someone explain to me how it would be unbalanced if everyone can get it?
because once the prices get jacked up, only the rich alliances can buy them - so the "connected" players run around with optimal setups while joe average gets stuck with his laser setup.

This takes us in the wrong direction IMO, we need to encourage more varied weapon use, not encourage more conformity. I would like to see the commonly used weapons become more difficult to acquire, not easier.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Ardbeg, I think you are overstating the effect of basic economics in the game or perhaps you are misunderstanding what I meant. The high prices would apply only to those who wish to pay them, so yes the rich alliances could outfit their politically impaired comrades.

Weapons would continue to be sold at regular prices from the regular shops as usual, following the same racial/political rules as always. The market would be there as a high-priced alternative for those that can't otherwise obtain them.

This idea may not work in a player community of 200. Perhaps when we have 1,000+ full time players?
that which pods you makes you stronger
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

ard this takes away from the need for peace, and who says the price isnt too high

i think transferring of items is a bad idea, let people work for their weaps
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I'm glad to see some good debate over this at least :)

It's a big change to the way things are done now. It affects the entire economic structure of the game and we would probably need to make other changes to accommodate a market and/or auction. I think the main effects of doing something like this are:

1. It offers players something to do besides what they do now, which most of us agree is stale.
2. It gives players a new way to interact besides Attack Trader (3) and ingame messages
3. There would be more focus on acquiring personal wealth in the game. Players could make a decent amount of cash by buying and selling weapons and other items on the market.
4. This would increase the money in circulation, so we would need to think of interesting ways for players to spend the money.
5. It would mean that good players might have Nukes, and Alskants might have CBDs which goes against the established rules up to this point, but consider that they will have paid high prices for those guns, and when they pod they lose it all.

It would not take away the need for Peace or War, because Peace/War would still affect weapons buying. Peace and War would affect the market and the game. We have talked about changing how politics work as well, so it might make sense to think about that too.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

maybe if there is a limitation as to how many times this can be used per game per person, or like a once per 2 week usage, then i could see it feesible

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

STEBO48858 wrote:maybe if there is a limitation as to how many times this can be used per game per person, or like a once per 2 week usage, then i could see it feesible
Who would want to play THAT game?
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Hk to allow it to happen constantly would take away the usage of in game politics because you could then buy whatever you wanted, and if you cant, then you are stuck with lasers, and no one i know like lasers

Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

STEBO48858 wrote:Hk to allow it to happen constantly would take away the usage of in game politics because you could then buy whatever you wanted, and if you cant, then you are stuck with lasers, and no one i know like lasers
Think outside the box, man. Politics wouldn't go away. I think you would see a change in how politics is used. War with everyone would limit access to the weapons in a market setting.

As I said, we've talked about changes to the political system before. Perhaps politicians could vote to cap prices on their goods or set a sales tax rate on their market goods to control prices. Political changes should be another thread all together, but I'm just throwing out ideas here.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

yes hk i know you are throwing ideas out here im just trying to offer a counterpoint to them to show what might go wrong

Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

I'm kinda going off on a tangent here, but I really think we need to do something to promote more diversity in weapon choice - either through some kind of market manipulation, or by changing the mechanics (for example by changing weapon accuracy depending on weapon class (been thinking about this one for a while, just never got around to formulating a suggestion)).
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!