Lost of exp from death ( Higher levels)

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Blum wrote:
Azool wrote:
Ardbeg wrote:.....so rework the levels such that level loss is the same across the board with a % hit to xp. I would be fine with level loss being the same at high and low levels, what I am not fine with is high xp deaths having less of an impact than low xp deaths.
The only way to make a % loss always equal the same level loss would be with a linear level system. That completely removes the diminishing returns that we all agree should be present in trading.
Your math is a bit off. With linear level system 20% of 50 levels is 10 levels while 20% of 10 levels is 2 levels. What you are probably thinking about is an exponential level system. I think base 1.3 should be more or less right for us.
even with an exponential system, you cannot have a standard level loss for deaths. Losing levels is going to hurt more the fewer levels you have. Say, for example, we decide that a death should cost you 5 levels. Taking 5 levels from a level 40 player is not too bad, but dropping a level 6 player to level 1 is brutal! Not to mention the question of what we do when someone has less than 5 levels to start with. This is why the level loss currently gradually increases up to a max of 7. The system we have now was not just dumped into the game vicariously, there were reasons for it that need to be considered if we make changes.

(I believe Azool meant a % of xp, not a % of levels)
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
Astax
SMR Coder

Post by Astax »

Purify wrote: You take away the key disadvantage from getting high XP.... and you don't offer another one to replace it....
I thought disadvantage was that it takes long as hell to get high xp.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Ardbeg wrote: Say, for example, we decide that a death should cost you 5 levels. Taking 5 levels from a level 40 player is not too bad, but dropping a level 6 player to level 1 is brutal!
Sorry but I can not agree with you here losing 5 levels at level 6 is easy. There is only 1,016 exper, point from level 0 to level 6. You can recover that in what a day on any half way good route. But for a level 40 to level 35 there are 84,130 exper point between them, now that is brutal!

Flat 2 level drop!
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

2 levels is nothing! 5 level drop or one third of xp, whichever is less.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

You maybe right Ardbeg a flat 5 level drop may not be to bad. At least a low level hunter if poded into a neg. level would have to work harder to get out.

I still like the flat 2 level maybe 3. I think 5 level drop is to much for the low level and high level players.
Mar
Quiet One

Post by Mar »

If you are high lvl you are way less likely to die in a fight, unless you do a PB...
If you are high lvl you can use cloak and get a great advantage on your enemies, there is no reason to give high expers any more advantage than they already get.
=)

It takes one to be one!
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Odd..This went from someone saying that losing 130k when you have 500k is too much..now you want someone to lose 140k or more? (5 level flat drop).

I don't like flat drop. A death should take into account the experience of the person you died to (like it does). If you die to a low exp noob then you deserve to lose xp. If you lose to someone of similar xp then you lose less.. Simple, fair, deal with it.
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

Ardbeg wrote: even with an exponential system, you cannot have a standard level loss for deaths. Losing levels is going to hurt more the fewer levels you have. Say, for example, we decide that a death should cost you 5 levels. Taking 5 levels from a level 40 player is not too bad, but dropping a level 6 player to level 1 is brutal! Not to mention the question of what we do when someone has less than 5 levels to start with. This is why the level loss currently gradually increases up to a max of 7. The system we have now was not just dumped into the game vicariously, there were reasons for it that need to be considered if we make changes.

(I believe Azool meant a % of xp, not a % of levels)
As pointed out, 5 levels loss hurts a level 40 much much more than a level 6. You can trade back 1k exp with about 5 hrs of turns on a decent route (1.0 game)
If you are high lvl you are way less likely to die in a fight, unless you do a PB...
If you are high lvl you can use cloak and get a great advantage on your enemies, there is no reason to give high expers any more advantage than they already get.
Making their exp loss less is not giving another advantage. It is making it fair. 3 levels lost flat makes dying at any level equal in terms of what is noticeably lost (higher levels still lose more exp total but that is okay, thats a risk they take at higher levels, more level lose should not be)
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

Making their exp loss less is not giving another advantage. It is making it fair. 3 levels lost flat makes dying at any level equal in terms of what is noticeably lost (higher levels still lose more exp total but that is okay, thats a risk they take at higher levels, more level lose should not be)
3 levels is nothing when you're level 50, but when you're level 6 it's a lot. It is relative.

You're not listening to anyone who's disagreeing with you, Azool, please respectfully start. (Hey, I'm as shocked as anyone that I'm agreeing with Mar ;)
Last edited by RandyOrsolo on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What, you want something witty?
Shtoopid
Quiet One

Post by Shtoopid »

If you want to help with exp loss, make dieing to planets and ports less painfull. Ship to ship is fine, if you manage to die at spooky, you screwed up plain and simple. There is no way to kill a spooky player unless they make a mistake and you happen to have a couple ships on them when they do. The only thing that sucks is when you have mid levels of exp(100k or so) and you try and op or otherwise run with your team to kill objectives. A death to something that can kill you with one of its 11 weapons(drones on a 70) takes you down to a very low level player very very quickly.