Beta Link

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Beta Link

Post by N.ator »

Lets have a link to Beta on the main login screen of smr.
ImageImage
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

You clearly don't understand the purpose of Beta.
that which pods you makes you stronger
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Azool said today beta was going down soon ( and probably into closed beta at some point?)
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

Beta will reopen as SMR1.5 where it will be tested internally (about 10 testers) until we go to an open beta.

HK is right. There is no need to link from the main page.
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Harry Krishna wrote:You clearly don't understand the purpose of Beta.
yes i do understand the purpose of beta. the purpose of beta is for TESTING. Testing can mean many different things, testing for bugs, or even testing different setups for ships. that is what beta is meant for. and i think if the new players in the game, knew about beta, they would be that much better! they would get a better handle of the game. i have some friends that play, and i always fight them in beta, because in beta you get unlimited turns, and it means nothing.

And having more people play beta, might bring out some bugs that arent known of....So over all, having a link to advertize beta on the login screen cannot hurt!
ImageImage
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

its a futile argument I guess but one last time beta is not for fun or training newbs
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

When Curufir was in Rouge Squadron about 3 or 4 games ago it was he who suggested that we use BETA to train Newbs. It gives us a chance to show the newbs in a somewhat controlled enviroment who to do certian things. This game I used Beta to Train DBird_64 in avoiding and scanner usage. It worked he was able to trade up to the 11th spot. Pretty good for a second game Newb (this game he made Fledgling about 2 or 3 weeks into the game).
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

being able to show newbies stuff is a nice bonus, but not the purpose of beta - testing will always take precedent.

btw, is Rouge squadron the limp-wristed sister alliance of Rogue Squadron?
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Ardbeg wrote:being able to show newbies stuff is a nice bonus, but not the purpose of beta - testing will always take precedent.

btw, is Rouge squadron the limp-wristed sister alliance of Rogue Squadron?
ok but listen, the testers, can go and do there thing and test, and then the newbies and go and learn the game. now what is so bad about that? the server can handle and extra 50 people so no harm will be done!!

and plus more people playing beta will mean more bugs will be released!!!
ImageImage
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

There was a time that I was against anyone using Beta but the testers. For now I don't think it makes much differents because Azool is coding SMR 1.5. Now if or when he moves 1.5 to the beta server then again no one but beta testers should be allowed in it.

PS: For the ones that say why! Do a web board search, because it has all been debated before.