Big Ideas (copied from my whine thread in General)

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

qiraz
Quiet One

Big Ideas (copied from my whine thread in General)

Post by qiraz »

Edited, cleaned up, expanded, etc.

I don't think you need a seperate newbie game. I can imagine a set of changes that could make things better for newbies without hurting vets. I understand there are several player ranks, Newbie, Beginner, Fledgling, etc.

I think you should have to get at least one kill before making out of beginner.

I think the invisibility thing going on with newbie players (i think?) could be expanded on. Essentially creating games within the game. A fledgling player might no longer be able to see Newbies, but could see the next rank up. Sort of a 3-rank visibility range [rank-1, rank, rank+1]. I dont recall how many ranks there are though. I think you should not be able to see players outside your rank-range at all. Perhaps let lower ranks see the higher ranks but unable to interact, this could be conducive to spying however.

Additionally, perhaps in a later version release, the game could be made to have more linear progression. New players would be unable to use or trade high level ships, weapons and goods. A deeper array of ships available as a player levels up (both in current game level and player rank). The higher level ports dealing in high end goods would only have the higher end goods, and a whole lot more supply/demand as well to deal with increased trade capacity of higher level players.

You would need to have a progression from lower level ships, weapons and goods, to mid level, to high level. Not just three stages, but gradual progression. A "beginner" player might have a current-equivilant of 6/12 rating, or 300*8 trade ability, while a veteran could be at 60/100 or 1800*15 trade ability. All ships, weapons, and goods would have level requirements. Speed would increase on higher level ships as well, as the player gains access to more galaxies. Perhaps minimum levels on some galaxies, also perhaps maximum levels on some galaxies.

Ports would only buy/sell certain level ranges of goods in order to make it so those areas could be made dangerous by mining/hunting/etc while not hurting newbies.

Having a higher player rank would enable a level 1 player to level up much faster. It could grant access to slightly better newbie ships, or let you get higher level goods a bit sooner.

Make the xp gain from hunting bigger, while also making the xp loss from death smaller. Perhaps allow interaction of all player ranks, but make it so no score is kept of killing people outside your rank-range, and also no xp or money gain/loss.

Player level would have a much bigger impact on combat.

The whole game would be faster in turns/hr, and larger. Sensors would be on every ship and work for 2-3 sectors range standard. Perhaps some race(s) could have access to better scanners, reaching 4-5 sectors.

I don't know how cloak works now, but I think it should be a non-movement ability. You can only cloak while immobile, and it should require using some turns to cloak.

Maybe allow anyone to jump home at any time, unless they've been in combat recently. Even if out of turns, but you'd end up with a negative turn balance, unable to get going again until you get them back. Perhaps costing turns relative to distance, and also a timer on this ability of at least 30 minutes. This way when you REALLY HAVE TO RUN to the restroom, you can do it without fear of dying.

</brainstorm>
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

my only complain is your suggestion about jump...I don't think that that would work because alot of the reason that people use fed ships with jump is so that instead of having to run sector to sector, they can just jump out of harm's way. ISTs use jump to get out of the way when a hunter comes calling.

preventing jump to be used if there has been recent combat stops people from using the best means of running.

As for everything else.... :clap:
Shtoopid
Quiet One

Post by Shtoopid »

good stuff!
qiraz
Quiet One

Post by qiraz »

Baalzamon wrote:my only complain is your suggestion about jump...I don't think that that would work because alot of the reason that people use fed ships with jump is so that instead of having to run sector to sector, they can just jump out of harm's way. ISTs use jump to get out of the way when a hunter comes calling.

preventing jump to be used if there has been recent combat stops people from using the best means of running.

As for everything else.... :clap:
I only mean the jump home even without turns ability, would not require a jump drive. Would use turns based on distance, giving a negative turn balance if you didn't have enough. It would nearly eliminate getting stranded. Combat ships would still have to disarm first, of course.

Regular jump would be the same as now.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Such an idea (jump thing) could (should) only be implemented for newbies/beginners.

Implementing that for any vets would just negate the issue of running out of turns, which should be a thing that only happens if someone isn't careful/goes with too fewer turns to do what they want/running out of turns clearing etc.

Newbs have a lesser understanding of all these factors, so thats why this should only be used for newbs.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Kahless_ wrote:Such an idea (jump thing) could (should) only be implemented for newbies/beginners.

Implementing that for any vets would just negate the issue of running out of turns, which should be a thing that only happens if someone isn't careful/goes with too fewer turns to do what they want/running out of turns clearing etc.

Newbs have a lesser understanding of all these factors, so thats why this should only be used for newbs.
agreed, only that jump should be used for newbies/begginners.
ImageImage
Captain Black

Post by Captain Black »

I'm new around here too and have been reading as many topics as possible to find out what all fuss is about.

anyhoo to be honest I don't have any problems with the game so far but that is purely becuase I have not played it for very long. My only issue so far is that you can get out of the Newbie/beginner/Fledgling ranks too easily.

The recent Dupont game was my first, and within a couple of weeks I had progressed to Fledgling, got over 100k exp with no kills and being podded twice I think (maybe 3). To be honest I feel like I have learned nothing about the game, not even had a taste of hunting, port raiding or planet building etc and already I am fair game for the vets yet I have no idea of the dynamics of SMR.

I like qiraz's idea of rank inspired multi games within a game and think it would give new players the ability to learn the game without being pounded by the vets (honourable or not).

additionally regarding the ermergency home jump, it should be restricted so that the attacker can not use this function. It's not the targets fault if the battle is not going the attacker's way, he should have stayed in the pub. And if you do use it I think the turn deficiet should be quite severe say distance +50 or 100 turns to stop people using it frequently.

anyway, apologies for the length, not really the place to hello but still.....
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I agree with you 100% on it is to easy for new players to become visible to vets. Once vets can see you and if you do not know what you are doing its like fish in a barrow for them.

I have always felt that moving up to become visible should be based on goods traded/kills not on exper, level. Finding a good trading route for a new player is the worst thing that can happen to them in SMR.

I am hoping that in SMR 1.5 things like this will be address from the start.