Interface idea

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

qiraz
Quiet One

Interface idea

Post by qiraz »

Well?

I'm imagining a screen aimed at 1280x1024 resolution, containing a full map like above, as well as plotting/jumping, current sector information, maybe more.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

interesting idea, but I think we are running up against limits on the amount of information we can realistically hope to convey in the limited space available. Personally, I am also against too much information available passively like this, since it takes away the basic skill of scanner use.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

Maybe just the mere presence of friendly or enemy forces/ships on local map, then? Use scanner to tell you precisely how much you have to deal with.

right now, LM tells you ships/forces but not precisely who or what.
What, you want something witty?
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Agreed, I would definitely like to see local distinguish between friend and foe.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

such as was in beta before it got closed this most recent time?

I think a lot of us would agree that thats something that should be implemented, its just a matter of actually getting it done.
Grey
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Grey »

It's a balance issue. If you give out too much information on LM you'll remove the need for LS. That'll favor the people with fast connections and low ping times even more since LM is a little more load heavy than LS.

LM is for overview and LS is for detail.
Pings seldom come alone and rarely when you're online
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

it woudl slow down local map treimdously. i liked it when you localed map, it would still show if the forces/player was an enemy or friendly. if you make it any more then that. local would be to powerful
ImageImage
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

I personally don't like the clutter. I prefer a nice simple interface where each screen shows the info it was designed to show.

The scanner does passive scans on local and it does directed scans using the scan button. This would get rid of the scan button..which might be good..cause no more people missing scan buttons and getting teammates killed =)

But overall, i prefer the simplicity of the current system, i even prefer the current system over the system that appeared in beta, because that looked kinda untidy too..
Holti
Quiet One

Re: Interface idea

Post by Holti »

simplicity rules, everyone hates slow loading screens, too :)