more turns....slower planets

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

I don't understand how you can say making the games faster will make it easier for people who dont have much time to play.

The point of keeping the game at a maximum of 1.5x is so that a person can have just as much of an experience if they can only play for 1 hours as if they can play for 24 hours. If we start making the game faster and faster while reducing the turn cap, its marginalising the people who don't have time to sit at the comp for hours

I just quite frankly don't see a problem with the current system. The only reason there wasa problem with 70's last round is that the game was 1month longer than a normal 1.5 game would be.
Shtoopid wrote: Yet another random suggestion would be to rework the turn system in that different speed ships, have different turn caps, not speed at which they gain them. This would provide much more of a solid advantage to speed, instead of speed=amount of time playing. More of a balance between the birds, creos can hit harder then thevs but a TAC can uno and trigger more times then the dev. It would also make a strategic deployment of races in an alliance a much bigger factor.
I like this idea.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

Kahless_ wrote:I just quite frankly don't see a problem with the current system. The only reason there wasa problem with 70's last round is that the game was 1month longer than a normal 1.5 game would be.

I agree... it was the length of the game that munged things up..... 70s were built too fast... and Spooky was obtained too fast.... but i do like the current system
Shtoopid
Quiet One

Post by Shtoopid »

Well, what I meant by faster games would not hurt many folks because ot seems to me(no real data just from chatting with random folks) most people have no problems using up their turns in even a 1.5x game. So thus a faster game would still not yeild any advantage to those with tons more time untill the group of people hitting their turn cap starts to increase(assuming turn cap is not increased with speed).
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Ardbeg wrote:A 2x game is way too many turns way too fast for most players. Try to keep in mind that it is a small minority of players who want to spend all of their free time in fron of a computer. Fast games (anything faster than 1.5x) are fine for fun, but should not be considered serious games.

Ardbeg. YOU DONT KNOW THAT. has smr EVER have a 2x game before...mhmm i believe not. you dont know if its to fast. you just think. we wont REALLY know untill it is done. i like the idea of capping the turns at 500 also.

what happens if we made it so different ships cap at different # of turns. so like psf would cap at 400 maybe.
ImageImage
Dread Pirate Roberts
Quiet One

Post by Dread Pirate Roberts »

As much as I hate to say it, Ardbeg is 110% right, 2x game is way too fast. Not everyone can log in every single day, some people have real lives, believe it or not. And with a game that is 2x, and a normal turn cap, if you don't log in everyday you're going to lose turns, and therefor won't be able to compete with the people that can sit on SMR all day every day. You cannot raise the turn cap because it unbalances the game. Not to mention a 2x game would get burnt out and become dead so fast. Instead of crying for more turns, why not just use your turns wisely. I can spend a couple hours with just a few hundred turns. Use your turns wisely and with skill and you can too.
If you can't beat em, ban em!
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

The other thing is that turns are like any other commodity - the more you have of them, the less you value them. I predict that the quality of gameplay would deteriorate for a number of reasons in a very fast game, one of which is that a lot of players will "waste" a lot of their turns. This would affect both their contribution to the game and their perception of how good the game is.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Ardbeg wrote:The other thing is that turns are like any other commodity - the more you have of them, the less you value them. I predict that the quality of gameplay would deteriorate for a number of reasons in a very fast game, one of which is that a lot of players will "waste" a lot of their turns. This would affect both their contribution to the game and their perception of how good the game is.
no man. because you will still be running out of turns just as much. traders would still be trading routes just as cafefully as if it was a normal game. and AGAIN you dont know that. we never had a 2x game before so you dotn know what anyone would do.
ImageImage
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:As much as I hate to say it, Ardbeg is 110% right, 2x game is way too fast. Not everyone can log in every single day, some people have real lives, believe it or not. And with a game that is 2x, and a normal turn cap, if you don't log in everyday you're going to lose turns, and therefor won't be able to compete with the people that can sit on SMR all day every day. You cannot raise the turn cap because it unbalances the game. Not to mention a 2x game would get burnt out and become dead so fast. Instead of crying for more turns, why not just use your turns wisely. I can spend a couple hours with just a few hundred turns. Use your turns wisely and with skill and you can too.
dude even with a real life, you can log in smr for 10 min every single day!

i am a full time student, doing advanced math and science, with numerous extra caricular activitys. also i always do sports, 3 seaons, xc, baskebtalll, track. i dont get home till 5 or later every day from school, and sometimes even 8/9 pm. even with all of my homework and everything, dinner and tv i STILL HAVE TIME TO PLAY SMR. normally for at least an hour a night. and for somone to log on 10 min. right before they go to bed to go trade. or wake up 10 min. earilier to trade is seriously not that hard!!! and serisously, if they cant keep up with smr every day, then they should be penelized! because the people that play more should have a better adavantage, and this one woul dbe maxing out less times.

and HOW DO YOU KNOW A 2X WOULD GET BURNT OUT SO QUICK?

YOU DONT!

why? oo yeah because smr has never had one before. as stated in my previous posts, you dont know something untill you try it.

Example: you have never traded fish before. Never ever tried fish, and you say you hate it!, absolutely hate it! that is just an opionion, YET you never tried it, and therefore you dont know if its good or bad.

this is the same idea. we have never had a 2x game before, so therefore we dont know how it will turns out. hey you never know it could be the BEST GAME EVER!!
ImageImage
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

poca youre in highschool you dont count
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

i would repeat what he says with fewer exclamation marks, and go through spell check, and be a little less harsh with the opinions (the caps were overkill)

But I agree with everything he says. Except for fish. I like fish. A lot. Especially salmon. Yum.