Arranged Kills

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Dread Pirate Roberts
Quiet One

Arranged Kills

Post by Dread Pirate Roberts »

Plain and simple, we should allow arranged kills. Space Merchant Realms is a game of skill, strategy, and roleplaying. Sometimes the best strategy is the easy way out. If it is beneficial to you, you should be allowed to suicide. Now arranged kills should not be allowed to pad stats, kill or death stats, but it should be allowed strategic arranged kills should be allowed. There are countless instances where dying to your own guns can be useful. For example, you get the loot off an enemy bonder but are traped in their galaxy, that level nine port looks mighty tempting. Or you miscalculate turns and run out of turns in open space with that hunter on your tail, it would be better to give that xp to your team mates then the enemy. Or you alliance AA is dwindling and you have a 100 million credit bounty. I mean the reasons are endless. In SM you could kill yourself, or have a team mate kill yourself, and people did it. Limitation on gameplay is detrimental to the game. Lets stop abuse of lame loopholes, but let's not tell people how they can play the game and limit the strategy they use.
If you can't beat em, ban em!
Puredeath

Post by Puredeath »

Bad idea whatever the reason. Poor planning is no excuse for allowing this. Also, your alliance finances should not be allowed to be padded with bounties.

What happens when an alliance is this close to decloaking someone, lets let him kill our top trader/s, then he can see him..

Overall...its just not a good idea. Arranged kills should not be allowed

PD
Dread Pirate Roberts
Quiet One

Post by Dread Pirate Roberts »

If you want to sacrifice your top trader to decloak someone why the hell not? Don't leave yourself out in the open if you don't want to be decloaked. And if you want to sacrifice your xp in order to collect a bounty why not? You are not getting something for nothing. You are losing xp in order to get money. Rule should be there to protect against abuse and unfair practices, not to limit how we play the game.
If you can't beat em, ban em!
Puredeath

Post by Puredeath »

So for everyone that trades to become undetectable, they are just out of luck?

Very narrow minded approach. Just casue you want to be able to kill your alliance mates, to get a leg up, dosent mean others do.

In the strange instance that you do allow this, i say make the penalty for this great, for instance, if you kill an alliance mate, or die to a port or whatever to get out of a circumstance, then you loose 500 turns(weather or not you have them, IE negative turns). That prevents someone from just going out and randomly saving 500 turns, killing 12 traders, and then have all their turns to hunt with. BTW, that is all parties involved, killers and suiciders.

PD
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Re: Arranged Kills

Post by RandyOrsolo »

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:Plain and simple, we should allow arranged kills.
You have a flawed definition of what an arranged kill is. Suiciding to a port or enemy player once, and not repeatedly, is not an arranged kill.
For example, you get the loot off an enemy bonder but are traped in their galaxy, that level nine port looks mighty tempting. Or you miscalculate turns and run out of turns in open space with that hunter on your tail, it would be better to give that xp to your team mates then the enemy. Or you alliance AA is dwindling and you have a 100 million credit bounty. I mean the reasons are endless. In SM you could kill yourself, or have a team mate kill yourself, and people did it. Limitation on gameplay is detrimental to the game. Lets stop abuse of lame loopholes, but let's not tell people how they can play the game and limit the strategy they use.
The reason these scenarios were put into "arranged kill" is that they *are* loopholes. If you get trapped in gal with bond money on a non jumping ship (honestly, you should have at least one), then you deserve to lose it or give it back. Enemy alliances should be rewarded for good strategy. If you get trapped in gal, you deserve to die, end of discussion.

The high bounties are intended to be a reward for opposing players killing hard-to-kill enemies, and not as a reward for alliances killing their own players. Although if your bounties are that high, you've either raided 238907423 ports or killed enough players that you should have enough cash.

Unless you have concrete examples of teamates killing each other in SM and then rejoining the same team, you shouldn't refer to it.
What, you want something witty?
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:If you want to sacrifice your top trader to decloak someone why the hell not? Don't leave yourself out in the open if you don't want to be decloaked. And if you want to sacrifice your xp in order to collect a bounty why not? You are not getting something for nothing. You are losing xp in order to get money. Rule should be there to protect against abuse and unfair practices, not to limit how we play the game.

This has happened in this game.... back in Triad 3 days before the end of the game 'Stupid Emo Skater Punk' was the #1 XP cloaker.... Orca killed these three very skilled players so he could decloak the Emo....

11/17/2005 2:00:47 PM News from the War Front
SYS Konfigg (Ik'Thorne) flying The Lemon Fairy was killed by Orca (WQ Human) flying Bis Zum Bitteren Ende in Sector #285
11/17/2005 2:28:23 PM News from the War Front
Grey Goose (Thevian) was killed by Orca (WQ Human) flying Bis Zum Bitteren Ende in Sector #285
11/17/2005 2:32:39 PM News from the War Front
Grey Goose (Thevian) was killed by Orca (WQ Human) flying Bis Zum Bitteren Ende in Sector #285
11/17/2005 3:27:43 PM News from the War Front
Stupid Emo Skater Punk (Nijarin) flying Real Men Wear Pink was killed by Orca (WQ Human) flying Bis Zum Bitteren Ende in Sector #1321

Obviously they were legit kills............. but Frost (Grey Goose) and Sys Konfigg sacrificed themselves so the top cloaker could die.. The thing is your 'arranged kill' scenarios come around not very often, and when they do it is easy to excuse the actions away as legitimate.... so making a rule saying that arranged kills should be allowed is pointless just think before you act and you'll be fine...
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

i beleive in small government
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Space Gnat
Quiet One

Post by Space Gnat »

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:Plain and simple, we should allow arranged kills. Space Merchant Realms is a game of skill, strategy, and roleplaying. Sometimes the best strategy is the easy way out. If it is beneficial to you, you should be allowed to suicide. Now arranged kills should not be allowed to pad stats, kill or death stats, but it should be allowed strategic arranged kills should be allowed. There are countless instances where dying to your own guns can be useful. For example, you get the loot off an enemy bonder but are traped in their galaxy, that level nine port looks mighty tempting. Or you miscalculate turns and run out of turns in open space with that hunter on your tail, it would be better to give that xp to your team mates then the enemy. Or you alliance AA is dwindling and you have a 100 million credit bounty. I mean the reasons are endless. In SM you could kill yourself, or have a team mate kill yourself, and people did it. Limitation on gameplay is detrimental to the game. Lets stop abuse of lame loopholes, but let's not tell people how they can play the game and limit the strategy they use.
I say they arent allowed. kills need to be earned. plus i got banned for an 'arranged kill' trying to help a buddy out of a predicament. sorry man but no dice
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

RandyOrsolo wrote:Unless you have concrete examples of teamates killing each other in SM and then rejoining the same team, you shouldn't refer to it.
I know for a fact that arranged kills are against the rules in SM.

When I started playing SM, an alliance mate in a newbie game wanted me to join him in MY:1. I didn't have enough traded and 0 kills. So he let me kill him 5 times so I could get in. Course I was a dumb newbie at this point and didn't know better.

I was later approached by an admin at the time about this, and I told him what I did and he let it slide cause I was a dumb newbie, but warned me not to do it again as I would be banned.

So yeah I agree with RO, unless you have proof (which you don't), don't go spouting off about how it was allowed in SM.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

I killed a multi of mine 5 times to get into vet game in ng 13 but no consequences I didnt even know SM had admins til one day we had a PB and jerm was like all my accounts are froze lawls