Any Idea For Newbies

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Dread Pirate Roberts
Quiet One

Any Idea For Newbies

Post by Dread Pirate Roberts »

When you first start a game, everything is black. This has got to be overwhelming and discouraging for our new players. They can't see any ports, locations or anything. I remember my very first game when all I saw was black it just didn't draw me in, and I didn't play. Luckily for me I came back the next game learned how to play and the rest is history. But why not give newbies their racial gal scouted out when they start. I don't see how this would be unbalancing since most vet alliances buy all the maps soon as the game starts, so vet alliances wouldn't use noobs for their maps. It's just a small change that would be beneficial to the new people and make the game look more friendly to them off the start.
If you can't beat em, ban em!
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Any Idea For Newbies

Post by N.ator »

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:When you first start a game, everything is black. This has got to be overwhelming and discouraging for our new players. They can't see any ports, locations or anything. I remember my very first game when all I saw was black it just didn't draw me in, and I didn't play. Luckily for me I came back the next game learned how to play and the rest is history. But why not give newbies their racial gal scouted out when they start. I don't see how this would be unbalancing since most vet alliances buy all the maps soon as the game starts, so vet alliances wouldn't use noobs for their maps. It's just a small change that would be beneficial to the new people and make the game look more friendly to them off the start.
not all vets buy the maps though. what allot of alliance would do is just take newbies in, have them send maps and boot them. i know i would do this. why not though right? a free racial galaxy map!
ImageImage
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

I think this is a great idea. And i think Poca, if you would truely just use a newbie to get maps then you are worse than even someone who pods a newb when they stray from their racial.

Thats a shameful sentiment.
Dread Pirate Roberts
Quiet One

Post by Dread Pirate Roberts »

Poca wrote:
not all vets buy the maps though. what allot of alliance would do is just take newbies in, have them send maps and boot them. i know i would do this. why not though right? a free racial galaxy map!
Any self respecting, decent vet would not do this. You are obviously very very lame, if you'd do that to someone new to the game you are a very crappy person, and don't give a :D about SMR. Most of us vets love this game and want to see it expand and see new people come to the game. Therefore I don't think many would use a noob like, since it may very well cause them to avoid the game. Any alliance that would exploit noobs for maps would lose the respect of the community (at least my respect, and I am pretty sure I would not be standing alone here). All the main vet alliances do buy maps. I can't even think of the last game my alliance hasn't bought maps. Especially now with all the credits given out by freon's contest. By giving people ranked beginner and under their racial galaxy mapped out from the start, it makes the game look more friendly to them. They won't have to waste turns to go explore their racial, and they can get right into the learning of the game. When you log in for the first time, and all you see is black, it's very overwhelming from a newbie's stand point
If you can't beat em, ban em!
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

the new new players (who get placed in the NHA) have full maps within a few days of a game opening, courtesy of a vet joining to share maps.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:
Poca wrote:
Any self respecting, decent vet would not do this. You are obviously very very lame, if you'd do that to someone new to the game you are a very crappy person, and don't give a :D about SMR. Most of us vets love this game and want to see it expand and see new people come to the game. Therefore I don't think many would use a noob like, since it may very well cause them to avoid the game. Any alliance that would exploit noobs for maps would lose the respect of the community (at least my respect, and I am pretty sure I would not be standing alone here). All the main vet alliances do buy maps. I can't even think of the last game my alliance hasn't bought maps. Especially now with all the credits given out by freon's contest. By giving people ranked beginner and under their racial galaxy mapped out from the start, it makes the game look more friendly to them. They won't have to waste turns to go explore their racial, and they can get right into the learning of the game. When you log in for the first time, and all you see is black, it's very overwhelming from a newbie's stand point

dude you guys. I WAS TALKING AS A SELFISH PLAYER(not me). i wouldnt do that, im saying PEOPLE WILL!!!!!! even vets. hey man i dont have use 500 turns to scout a map, so iwll just have them join the alliance. and therefore, i can be 4k ahead of the compition. dude there are people out there, vets and "average" players that will do it.

also:

scouting is all apart of the game.

SEGESTION:

what about this. after a week of the start of the game begins, if a new players joins the game he will recieve maps. after a week of a game, all main vet alliance have maps by then, so i think it would be fair.
ImageImage
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

Kahless_ wrote:I think this is a great idea.
Agree with above. No real reason against it, really.
What, you want something witty?
Grey
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Grey »

This somewhat along the lines of what I proposed in this thread:http://smrcnn.smrealms.de/viewtopic.php?t=8524 - Give a tactical advantage to having newbies around.

Letting them have full maps of their racial gives a vet alliance a reason to get up to 8 newbies. All we have to do is give them a reason to keep them - possibly Kah's statement will do it, but I'm afraid it won't. I don't have the answer, I'm just stating the (obvious) issue.

How about: Every day you have a newbie who hasn't overflowed his turns and has not died, a randomly picked member of your alliance gets (...) hours worth of turns. Dunno the number, I'm thinking a low one. Of course the person has to be in the alliance for at least the last 24 hours when the event occurs.
Pings seldom come alone and rarely when you're online
Remlak
Beta Tester

Post by Remlak »

easy fix. Let anyone with newbie/beginner status have full racial maps at the start, but either:

A. disable the "share maps" button if they are ranked newbie/beginner
or
B. When they share maps, only allow the maps to be shared with others in the same alliance that are Newbie/Beginner Ranked. Anyone higher ranked would not receive the maps.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Rejected
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General