Alliance Politics

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Dread Pirate Roberts
Quiet One

Alliance Politics

Post by Dread Pirate Roberts »

I think most of us can agree that we do not have the player base to have alliance politics yet. I think a lot of us can also agree that alliance politics added a lot to the game and were one of the most fun aspects of SM. I would love to see treaties put into SMR, but I really really don't want to see it become the rebels vs. the empire mega war. That was always lame when it was team A vs. team B. I don't know if this has been suggested or not, I would assume it has since its a pretty basic suggestion. I think this would add a lot to SMR, and bring us all a whole lot of fun, so don't let your dislike of me and what not effect your opinion please, lets discuss this objectively, okay?

First thing to do is drop alliance cap down to 15 members from 30. Then turn on alliance treaties. Limit the amount of treaties an alliance can have to something like one Affiliate Alliance or MOP (Mutual Offense Pact) (You can land on allies planets, you attack together when IS together, you can add forces to and refresh their stacks. Basically like you are in the same alliance.) , two PNAPs (Planetary Non-Aggression Pact) (PNAPs would prevent you from attacking their planets, but you would be allowed to attack their members. You do have the option of having a PNAP and a regular NAP with the same alliance if you chose.) , and unlimited NAPS (Non-Aggression Pacts) (NAPS should not protect against NAP'ed forces to prevent large minefields that have been known to plague the universe when there are treaties), and unlimited declarations of WAR (self explanatory).

So basically the alliance cap would still be 30, just with two 15 man alliances working together. You may be asking whats the point if the alliance cap is the same. Well adding politics would add a lot to the game. We would have twice as many different alliances which is a good thing. Now the whole diplomatic aspect is added to SMR. It will make things much more interesting. Alliances can form their MOPs secretly or publicly. So lets say Alliance B declares war on Alliance A, but Alliance A secretly has a MOP with Alliance C. So Alliance A just got more than they bargained for. So Alliance B signs an MOP with Alliance D to help in the war effort. It would be just like one alliance fighting one alliance under the current system. But two 15 man alliances fighting another two 15 man alliances is much more fun and challenging than one 30 man alliance fighting another 30 man alliance, IMO. The two alliance leaders will have to co-operate and communicate in order to win the war. Ops will have to be joint ops.

Also it will give us more options and add change to the game. When it comes to galaxy and route building. Alliance A and allied Alliance C have two choices. They can either work together to build one galaxy to share. Or they can each build up a galaxy by each other so they have two galaxies and two routes to use (since you are allowed a couple PNAPs it wouldn't be impossible for a 15 man alliance to build up a galaxy by themselves.). Half way through game we could see teams switch up, alliances broke, enemies becoming allies. Alliance A and Alliance C aren't quite seeing eye to eye, they just have different goals, so half way through the game they cancel they MOP. Alliance A allies with Alliance F, and Alliance C aligns with Alliance D. Now we have a whole new war on our hands. Politics will add much more flavor to the game instead of Crusaders vs. other top alliance, that it is now has been for years.

Since the cap will really still be 30 our current player base can support this. It will add so much more flavor to SMR. I think this could create a lot of fun for us all. We will all have to work on our diplomacy skills. This adds a whole new aspect to the game, but it won't turn it into The Rebels vs. The Empire, like it used to in the past. I don't really see any cons to this, and there are tons of pros (probably even more than I listed, but I am pretty tired). So guys please discuss this objectivly. In fact lets not even look at the names of the people that are posting, just read what they have to say not whos saying it :P . Alright, discuss.
If you can't beat em, ban em!
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

I like this idea.
Dread Pirate Roberts
Quiet One

One more plus to this idea is it will create a whole new generation of leaders. We have the same people leading the same alliances for years now. Well with twice as many alliances, we will need twice as many leaders. So we will be having a whole new bunch of people steppin' up to lead.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

I'm kinda confused....... so you cut our regular alliance size in half but are able to be one alliance with a MoP.. only difference is 2 alliance accounts and 2 messageboards.....

Then with pNAPS its coded so you can't attack someons planets..... but.... this is perfectly doable by word of mouth in todays game cause its pretty tough to attack an enemies planet by accident....

Then with NAPS..... you still hit their forces but aren't at 'war' with them?

To me anyways this seems pNAPS and NAPS are kinda useless and wouldn't have to be coded in at all.... just, the MOP seems to effect gameplay as alliances could split apart and get angry with one another and thus add more kinds of interaction.... Hard to predict what players in the game would do in this situation.... i believe we had a game with a 25 or 20 man alliance cap (i forget which) and it did not turn out very well..... but i wouldn't be opposed to this..
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

in SM, when you had a NAP with someone, you were immune from their forces, and they'd get a big bright warning before they could trigger on you, but you couldnt land on their plants, and you couldnt do anything to their forces other then refresh them....im pretty sure thats how it worked though.

The only case I could see for a PNAP would be if you could land on your allies planet....that would be a good reason for this sort of pact.

alliance cap at 15, with the ability to basically merge with another alliance in all but name.../me shrugs i guess

I wouldnt be opposed to it, but nor would i fight hard for it.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

i think in 1.5 we should add naps back. naps are really fun! because you can see how other alliance work together and it adds some new strategy to the game.!!

and with naps this is how it should work

a regular nap, alliance a and alliance b CANOT attack eachother(attack button wont show)

maybe create a new nap of just forces? so only forces will be naped and not players.

lastly a pNAP, so with a pnap, no one can attack the planets

and like pretend alliance a wants a regular nap, and then also a Fnap, you can have both and then making each alliance "united" except for pnap
ImageImage
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Alliances can have all the treaties they want, just not hard-coded. Hard-coded treaties were an unsuccessful experiment, and I see no reason to bring back something that did not work.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Ardbeg wrote:Alliances can have all the treaties they want, just not hard-coded. Hard-coded treaties were an unsuccessful experiment, and I see no reason to bring back something that did not work.

exactly, why would we bring back something, that did not work? we should bring back the same idea, but CHANGE it to make it work!!! learn from our mistakes the first time and fix it. its a good idea, but it just has to be balanced.
ImageImage
Dread Pirate Roberts
Quiet One

Ardbeg wrote:Alliances can have all the treaties they want, just not hard-coded. Hard-coded treaties were an unsuccessful experiment, and I see no reason to bring back something that did not work.
See I beg to differ, I think alliance treaties were quite successful. They added a whole new aspect to the game. The only problem before was you could have as many as you wanted, so it turned in to team 1 vs team 2 and that was kinda lame.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:
See I beg to differ, I think alliance treaties were quite successful. They added a whole new aspect to the game. The only problem before was you could have as many as you wanted, so it turned in to team 1 vs team 2 and that was kinda lame.
agree, and also you could have 30 people in an alliance. so really there was no need to have treaty. like now if you made it 15 people per alliance, you could technicly, have your one alliance split up into 2 different alliances. so 2 different leaders. and you never know, you jus tmight become enemys by the end. and also this will help split up the vet alliances! and get soem new alliances into the game instead of 3 or 4 main alliance there will be liike 10 alliances that are all near eachother. man tht woul dbe a fun a game!!
ImageImage