Alliances

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

BooRawl
Quiet One

Alliances

Post by BooRawl »

Just a thought on alliances, I have this idea that may work. The idea is the size of the alliances. How about a formula. Elite players assigned a number say 5 Elite and expert 4, Adept3, fledgling2, newbie1. With these values the an alliance can 100 points to fill alliance. So it would benifit Alliances to teach new players, would even encourage vets to encourage old vets to come back to the game. Would add a new demision to the game, where vets actually want to teach new players. leaders would have to think about teaching new players how to play this game as there would be an advantage to a good teacher. The 100 pts would be jockeyed into play in first week of game players locked in. If you change alliances you maybe locked out from coming back as some peoples levels have changed. Personally i think it may help the game grow..... Some alliance with elite players could only be 20 people. Another with 8 elite players and 20 dept players. And still another alliance with 2 elite players, 5 expert players, 10 Adept and 20 fledgling or 40 newbie players..... I think it would help make this game grow as it is the vast skill and knowledge between a newbie alliance and vet alliance is just way out of balance.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Moved to appropriate forum, suggestions.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

this idea, or one very similar, was posted a while back...i can't seem to find the thread, but the basic argument against it was that having an alliance built that way makes advancing frowned upon. It'll make it so that alot of people can't play with their friends, and why would we want to do that?

I think i hit the main two points, but anyone else feel free to intervene
DWill
Admin Emeritus

Post by DWill »

-when there is a will there is a way
BooRawl
Quiet One

Post by BooRawl »

The biggest difference is from the other suggestion is I think is that what I am proposing, encourages alliances to try and get along with alliance mates and work as a team. It does not restrict you from playing with friends, in anyway. The only thing it restricts, is maybe it is not such a good idea to pool all the talent in one alliance. Not much talent in getting all the best players in your alliance and then shooting up SpaceMerchantsRealms. The way I see it is that is what the game has become, those who are talented vets vs the less talented and to hell with them. And the I don't care for the future of this game, just the moment when we get the best hunters in the game all in one alliance or the best opers, and some the best traders. The game is stale as it is been played now. I don't see this great break through of newbs coming up, and no where near the vets that are hang them up.
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

BooRawl wrote: The way I see it is that is what the game has become, those who are talented vets vs the less talented and to hell with them.
The game's always been about playing who you want to play with, be it newb, expert, whoever. Almost all multiplayer gaming is about playing with people you like (or finding it).
What, you want something witty?
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

to be honest, i don't even think its talent vs less talent.... look at crew and sf...they do as well as they do because they always play together. They've become very close and work well together. armory works well together and this is their second round together, and the core of them have been together for whoknows how long.

They so called "less talented" is made up of alliances that semi-stay together, or just get thrown together round to round...non tight knit groups....if you were to get a bunch of people and have them stick together round to round, you'd see them improve, and be able to compete on the same level as the "talented"
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

Formulizing the alliance vet make up to make the vets spread out more is not going to make new alliances better. There is one tool available to all the alliances that helps organize the team. Allows almost instant communication between leaders and followers. In the past week or 2 I have seen this tool in usage to the fullest. Without this tool most big allainces wouldnt be able to as effectivly do what they do.

When I log on I can see anywhere from 8-19 people using this tool currently. Last game as a member of one of the NEW alliances maybe their was 8 tops on a good day using this tool and 3 of them was usually one of my chat multis.

Last week I asked a member of Crusaders how many players did they have using this tool at the time I asked I was told 15 players all communicating ship movements, hunter logging on, trader pings, route info mine field info single info everything. The alliance Im with this round they had 16 players at that time using this tool. (15 and 16 players in the Top allainces using a tool to help them do what they do. 15 or 16 players able to be organized into fleets if needed)

In my HONEST Opinion this tool should be implemnted to the main game screen where all that blank green space. Maybe haveing it on a faded effect so you can recieve the information.

Making it so that there can only be a certain number of vets in a sigle allaince would just mean that only a certain amount of players in the NEW allaince would be using this tool.

Last game I logged on to the game did some checking around the read news made notes on my paper maps of player pods at sectors and kills and all that I also noticed that near one of my team mates routes a very well known hunter had just podded another player 5 minutes before. I then notice on the CPL the team mates name pop up.

I started screaming at my screen and sending PM's and allaince meesages to him or her "STAY DONT TRADE YOUR ROUTE SO AND SO IS RIGHT NEXT TO IT HUNTING"

30 seconds later I see the down and up arrows and then I click the read news just knowing before the page loads what id see. The trader who couldnt recieve my warning took a pod ride. Podded becuase they refuse to use the tools the gods that be have given to ALL OF US. Dont think for one second that having vets in your allaince can make your allaince better. Sure the knowledge about the game the vets have is very valuable to new allainces but that is not going to help one iota unless organization happens first.
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

Baalzamon wrote:armory works well together and this is their second round together, and the core of them have been together for whoknows how long.
FALSE.... Armory is made up of 10 of Lotus' best gun loving friends + the 6 daisy chainin euros (-smorz) + alliance fillers that can be easily added and replaced...

Anywho, for DNs point.... It is quite difficult to get new players to use chat.... for many different reasons.... whether it be they're at work and the crapplet won't load, or they're too shy and just want to do their own thing... It is a huge struggle to get them there... Maybe have the crapplet auto-load when they login (option that can be turned off in preferences) would be the way to go???

As for people being forced to work with people of various levels.... it would never work... people are going to play with their friends no matter what and they'll find a way around this limitation, either it be by creating a new account.... rotating alliance members.....they will find a way.... and the intended purpose of helping new players learn will be thrown out the window...

(btw 85-90% of the Italic players in this game are not noobs.... but old players who received the SMR Newsletter and decided to come back, and found their old account gone/forgot the info/had no vet status)
DWill
Admin Emeritus

Post by DWill »

Purify wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:armory works well together and this is their second round together, and the core of them have been together for whoknows how long.
FALSE.... Armory is made up of 10 of Lotus' best gun loving friends + the 6 daisy chainin euros (-smorz) + alliance fillers that can be easily added and replaced...
I don't love guns, I just have a healthy respect for them. And there is only 3 of us :(.
-when there is a will there is a way