Ship upgrades

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Ship upgrades

Post by Kahless_ »

I don't know if anyone else has had an issue with this, but today i thought, after trading from the start of the round that i might like to try some combat.

The biggest problem i found though when i went to get my ship (ignoring the fact that its nearly impossible to get a decent evil ship because its nearly impossible to keep you allignment low enough), is that now that i have it, i thought, righto, better upgrade this, seeing as i've had to settle for a small ship. But uhoh..Problem. We've implemented a feature that limits you to removing stats once every 24 hours..So the snag i've hit is that because i spent the first few weeks building the perfect trade ship, for the next 3 weeks i'm going to have to settle for a ship which is neither a good trader OR a good warbird because i can't remove my trading improvements fast enough.

I guess this feature was put in to stop people from chopping and changing roles or something like that. But is it possible that we tone down the limitations here? Because for the next 3 weeks i basically wont be able to compete with traders or other hunters/birds, so basically people in my situation dont get to enjoy either aspect of the game properly for a while..

Might just be me who sees a problem here. Anyone else?
silverx2
Quiet One

Re: Ship upgrades

Post by silverx2 »

it make people plan longterm, i see no problem with it, i currently have 13 upgrades to my holds, when im thinking about getting a warship ill start to remove hold upgrades. im not overly worried about it yet though as iv still got 600 more shipsize to excavate and buy.
i killed orca.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

easy way to reset your upgrades is to die
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

My opinion is that the limitation of 24 hours per downgrade is good. I don't think we want people to be able to change from trading to fighting/Oping much faster.

I have 500 ship upgrade points (probably about average for most players, though I'm not sure) and when I'm trading I have 9 upgrades to cargo and a few upgrades to armor, shields, weapons, and forces, giving me a nice /14 IST. I have found that the conversion to a warbird from that configuration is pretty good. The bird is souped up more than it would be with a /25 defense or so (with too much cargo of course) and over the next several days, I downgrade the cargo and convert the points to weapon slots, armor, shields, or whatever.

Yeah for those 4-5 days my ship is not quite where it should be as a fighter, but it serves fairly well except perhaps as a 1v1 killing machine. But with only 500 points to work with I will never be able to compete with someone who has upgraded to 14 HP, 10 gadgets, and /35 defense.
that which pods you makes you stronger
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

We were discussing changing the way upgrades are affected both at removal and when you die. One option was instead of just being one point removal per 24hr term it would be a percentage.
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

Ship upgrades no longer done.