Racial Planets

RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Racial Planets

Post by RCK »

(9:34:28 AM) RCK1: hmm, racial planets...
(9:34:44 AM) RCK1: (going through one of those 'ideas' threads
(9:34:45 AM) Jouldax: this planet is owned by the salvene?
(9:34:47 AM) RCK1: aye
(9:34:50 AM) RCK1: only Salvs can land on it
(9:34:57 AM) Jouldax: can you bust it?
(9:34:59 AM) RCK1: pre built...
(9:35:02 AM) RCK1: lvl 30ish
(9:35:05 AM) RCK1: yes
(9:35:15 AM) Jouldax: can you build it up?
(9:35:23 AM) RCK1: if your salv
(9:35:56 AM) RCK1: make it so 'if' your alliance has planets
(9:36:08 AM) RCK1: you have to park on your own planets
(9:36:17 AM) RCK1: otherwise you can park on racial planet
(9:36:37 AM) RCK1: might need a base.. like if you have planet but under lvl 20...
(9:36:40 AM) RCK1: you can park on racail
(9:36:50 AM) Jouldax: interesting concept
(9:36:59 AM) Jouldax: I feel like a lot of newbies would die landing there
(9:37:00 AM) RCK1: would basically mean those small alliances/solo's could park armed... but there is still risk involved
(9:37:09 AM) Jouldax: ton of risk
(9:37:12 AM) Jouldax: if the big boys aren't fighting
(9:37:15 AM) RCK1: not hard to insert a extra page
(9:37:17 AM) Jouldax: they'll get bored and bust them all for fun
(9:37:30 AM) RCK1: for ranks newbie --> average
(9:37:35 AM) RCK1: or even to beginner...
(9:37:52 AM) Jouldax: It's a shame that so many people abuse newbie status
(9:37:57 AM) RCK1: "This is not your racial planet, attempting to land here may result in your ships destruction. Do you wish to continue"
(9:37:58 AM) Jouldax: either through multi's or friends
(9:38:04 AM) Jouldax: lol
(9:38:35 AM) Jouldax: maybe add a fun roll that if you get lucky, you can land on the planet
(9:38:36 AM) RCK1: should stop newbies from landing :P
(9:38:39 AM) Jouldax: like 15%
(9:38:45 AM) RCK1: probably lower... but yah...
(9:39:00 AM) Jouldax: see some salvene landed on a nij planet
(9:39:01 AM) Jouldax: ha
(9:39:04 AM) RCK1: hehe
(9:39:16 AM) RCK1: might be worth discussion anyway...
(9:39:27 AM) Jouldax: sector should have that race's shipyard and weapon shop
(9:39:28 AM) RCK1: I'll see if i cant chop it out of this thread... or create a new one...
(9:39:53 AM) Jouldax: just paste what we just talked about
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Racial Planets

Post by RCK »

To give credit to original post:

Nariis wrote:How about this? Each racial galaxy have a few planets...sorta like that race's home system? No one alliance can claim those planets, and no forces can be placed at or around them? The planets start out already built to lvl 30, and can only be built up by members of that race. Of course, the planets can still be attacked by marauding alliances, podding anyone brave enough to park on the planet.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

As I mentioned later to RCK,
SM had tried planets in the racial gals early on and decided to only place them in neutral gals.

Seldum-do you remember the specifics? I think it had to do with forcing more interaction into the neutrals so that one alliance doesn't just claim a racial gal as home.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

I think it had to do with forcing more interaction into the neutrals so that one alliance doesn't just claim a racial gal as home
I recall claiming Alskant as home in the first round I led GIA. Half of GIA was Alskants, and we weren't cohesive enough to play with the big dogs in the neutrals :)

Seriously, does anyone use planets for anything except landers, money and slaving goods? IF not, then there's not much difference between planets and fed. If you are going to have racial planets, then have no fed.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Holti wrote:Seriously, does anyone use planets for anything except landers, money and slaving goods? IF not, then there's not much difference between planets and fed. If you are going to have racial planets, then have no fed.
Not really, though if me and seldum could iron out the details of an idea we had yesterday then they would become allot more critical to game play. As for Racial planets... something needs to be done IMO, there is no risk associated with Fed, your home free, currently the only bonus of having a planet is bonding and using that 50-100 less turns to arm. But that trade off also means you spend money on defence.

I know people would argue that Racial planets mean no protection, but we're talking about a very big planet, bigger then a lvl 70. Not something just any alliance is going to try for no reason.

Additionally, i think with racial planets it would mean an major drop in relations with that race (at a personal level).

Not to mention its more 'realistic' that a race would live on a planet.
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

Don't underestimate the importance of planets to route building though. Having a super route near planets can be a lot safer than having one just across neutrals or racials
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Also consider this hypothesis:
Racail planets come into being. I, as leader of TLS, have a group of 15-20 people and tell them all to go Creo. We then can land on the racial planet, and proceed to mine the racial galaxy worse than most planet gals currently. Newbies choosing Creo die like flies......
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

What would happen if only members of a particular race could land on the planets? In other words, Creo can land on Creo, but any races at war with Creo could not land on the planet.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Grey Death wrote:Also consider this hypothesis:
Racail planets come into being. I, as leader of TLS, have a group of 15-20 people and tell them all to go Creo. We then can land on the racial planet, and proceed to mine the racial galaxy worse than most planet gals currently. Newbies choosing Creo die like flies......
Obviously there has to be checks/balance to prevent that scenario GD (and im not going to hope it wouldnt happen, cause you know it would).

Racial planets will really only give you 1 'perk' and that is a place to land.
Alliance planets mean trade, money, parking.

other part of this would be what do you do with weapons? Do you permit players to land armed? Do you change a 'landing fee'? How to you apply these to traders, hunters, warbirds etc.

To me from a 'realistic" PoV; Traders and hunters should be able to land, they are 'smaller ships' but then you get to warbirds, just by name they dont sound like they should be able to enter racial space armed.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Incognito wrote:Don't underestimate the importance of planets to route building though. Having a super route near planets can be a lot safer than having one just across neutrals or racials
Think this is mentioned somewhere else.. .but rough idea:

(11:51:59 AM) RCK: well seldum and I had talked about removing ports from planet gals
(11:52:09 AM) RCK: planets would then have mines + factories
(11:52:14 AM) RCK: or similar
(11:52:30 AM) RCK: mines/factories/warehouses
(11:52:41 AM) RCK: which works for production...
(11:52:49 AM) RCK: we just got hung up on the buying side
(11:53:11 AM) RCK: need to determine the demand