Planet building

Thauglor
Quiet One

Planet building

Post by Thauglor »

This idea has been talking about in the past. I think its great and have no idea why its not been done.

Have builds be fast early in game, and then take longer and longer the bigger the planet gets. And I think its the right way to go. You would start out with builds being maybe 1/3 of what they take now and having the last builds before you reach lvl 70 take 3-4 times as long as now.

That way we could quite early in game get to lvl 40 or so. Maybe have building to lvl 60 take as long as it does now and getting it maxed out take even longer. Builds working this way would make planet worth something much earlier in game without getting the top planets to early.
The almighty Thauglor
Lords of Melnibone

HoA, DS, UT, TC, TE, TSM, DD, DEATH, SP, DC, Virus, MH
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

Would you also decrease the resources need for it in addition to the time needed (not the cost, obviously, since then everyone would build turrets right off the bat)?

If we can come up with actual numbers for this, I think it's be a great idea. I'd be willing to help in anyway I can, because I am a planet freak after all.

Maybe something like this:

planet level 0-10: 1/4 time needed to build
10-20: 1/2 time
20-30: 3/4 time
30-50: full time
50-60: 1.5x build time
60-70: 3x build time

This obviously isn't a very mathematical way of looking at it-and this is just a rough idea. But I think we all agree that the way planets work need to be changed somehow.
GuitarDude
Quiet One

Post by GuitarDude »

I LOVE IT! Seeing as how it is really hard to get a planet ESTABLISHED, i like that, make it a bit easier to get roots down so that you cant have people popping em off as soon as they show up. Then as it gets defensible having solid tactics and mine feilds will come in to play.

ow, my eye is twitching...
I am the guy that you fear...
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

I did some calculations (I'm bored and really, really keen on trying to change the planet system)-and the amount of time to get a planet to level 70, with the figures I've proposed, would be about the same-except it'd be more end heavy rather than taking so long the whole way through. That's about what I was aiming for.

I'm thinking we should increase the cost at the beginning as well-it would keep people from claiming planets all over the place, and provdie a realistic offset for the building being so much faster. So, maybe for 1/4 build time, we increase the cost by a factor of 4, etc. etc. But later on, as your building crew gets more experienced, they decrease the cost, but as a result the build time is increased because the planet is so much more crowded. Or something like that....

Throw out some numbers, people! Or say why you agree or disagree with any potential planet changes.
canff
Beta Tester

Post by canff »

I like the idea. Maby we can get a beta game setup to test this ?
Thauglor
Quiet One

Post by Thauglor »

About cost. I don't think building should be more expensive to start with. I would rather have both time and price go up. From my point of view the idea is to get more people to claim and build planets.

Doing this and having planets in all non racial gals, like there has been talk about would make for a interesting game where planets would be used a lot more.
The almighty Thauglor
Lords of Melnibone

HoA, DS, UT, TC, TE, TSM, DD, DEATH, SP, DC, Virus, MH
Prince Valiant
Admin Emeritus

Post by Prince Valiant »

what about slaves i have always felt they need to be used to increase planet construction speed...i mean we do live in a universe where order doesnt rule the right way is not the best way and slavery is used not just as a trade but as power
I am the calm before the storm, The second before the crash.
Space Merchant Realms Administrative Team
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

the slaves thing. would your slaves be used up when building? like a option to build normally or build with slaves, but when you built with slaves it takes some away in exchange for faster speeds?
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

The slaves idea is an interesting one-it'd probably be pretty hard to code, but it would make slaves useful for something. I'm for it, if it can be done.
About cost. I don't think building should be more expensive to start with. I would rather have both time and price go up. From my point of view the idea is to get more people to claim and build planets.
I disagree. IMHO, we're trying to make planets more viable early on, but increasing build time AND cost would not do it-it'd make it worse than it is now.

If we're looking at decreasing early game build time, something has to be done to offset it-and besides the resources involved, making it cost more would be the way to do it. I think the cost may even need to go up more, but we'll see.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Planet building

Post by RCK »

We have already discussed this, but just needs some more discussion on specifics.