Planet changes

Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Planet changes

Post by Harry Krishna »

I'd like to be able to scan the skies over the planet where I'm parked and see (in the normal blurry scanner readout of course) the number of friendly and enemy ships in orbit and the forces in the sector.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Hate
Quiet One

Post by Hate »

that sounds good for the defenders but for the attackers it makes it kinda unfair. Its like the attackers being able to scan your planet surface for anyone being on it and then moving to planets that they know has enemy on it. Sure there is tech to do so for both but if you want one way implemented then why not have both ways.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I think the planetary defenses have traditionally blocked enemy scanners from seeing what is on the surface until the defenses are destroyed for that reason. Otherwise attackers would roam around and easily find rocks with parked ships to bust. So going both ways with this change would be unreasonable.

This change I'm suggesting gives the defenders a slight advantage of info about who and what is outside their planet, but it seem reasonable to me that a developed planet would have technology to tell as much or more than what a ship's sensors can tell about it's surroundings. And the info could be useful outside of an attack scenario of course. It would give defenders in a PB more info for if/when to launch, run, etc., but I leave it to the experts in the community whether that will overbalance the game play.

Without this change, people on planet can watch the news and local scout reports to tell them a part of the story as it always has.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Harry the planeteary scanner is used in ME, but it would be great to have it here also. It allows you to scan the sector that your planet is in. Here in SMR they could make the scan readout the same as it is when you scan the next sector.
Thauglor
Quiet One

Post by Thauglor »

I'm all for new buildings on planets. Just keep the building lvl at 100, so that for new buildings added you would have build less gens, hangars or turrets.
The almighty Thauglor
Lords of Melnibone

HoA, DS, UT, TC, TE, TSM, DD, DEATH, SP, DC, Virus, MH
Swagman
Quiet One

Post by Swagman »

my only concern is that when attacking, you may have to leave the planet sector after each shot, as if the defenders were able to scan the sector, they would know exactly how many people had left to go to the UNO, makeing it very easy for the defenders to launch 10 ships and take out the attackers... seems a little unfair

also unfair is attackers being able to scan the planet for cream, as it was a few games ago...
Warlock
Quiet One

Post by Warlock »

Why unfair? Hell, we had the technology to do what people are asking for in the 20th century. It consists of looking up, or, barring that, sending out some radar waves. People should be able to see, afterall.
Hate
Quiet One

Post by Hate »

Swagman wrote:my only concern is that when attacking, you may have to leave the planet sector after each shot, as if the defenders were able to scan the sector, they would know exactly how many people had left to go to the UNO, makeing it very easy for the defenders to launch 10 ships and take out the attackers... seems a little unfair

also unfair is attackers being able to scan the planet for cream, as it was a few games ago...
that is exactly what i am saying if you make it easier for the defenders then make it easier for the attackers as well.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Hate wrote:
Swagman wrote:my only concern is that when attacking, you may have to leave the planet sector after each shot, as if the defenders were able to scan the sector, they would know exactly how many people had left to go to the UNO, makeing it very easy for the defenders to launch 10 ships and take out the attackers... seems a little unfair

that is exactly what i am saying if you make it easier for the defenders then make it easier for the attackers as well.
This scenario could also happen in an adjacent sector during a PB, with defenders coming in from the side, why not have the same possibility in the planetary one? The chances that the planet you are attacking has more than 10 ships is slim, and the number actually on line to jump off and attack the non-UNOing ships would be even less likely than that.

Planet busts should be risky for the attackers, thus a need for planning and an organized attack. I don't agree that a *slight* advantage in intel for the defenders would unbalance the situation enough to require an equal ability for the attackers.
Hate
Quiet One

Post by Hate »

with what you are saying is that having defenders could come in from the side. At least then we have a warning to show us you are coming after the attacking fleet. So for the 2 or 3 ships that need to uno know not to go alone or to have a standoff while they are weakened. Which is why the tech for being on the planet would have to work both ways as well. Thats the element of suprise. If your fleet knows that only 3 people were left in the planet sector and you had a fleet of 5 or 6 (very likely to happen) then you all would launch and kill the other 3. Without this tech you wouldnt know and could even possibally launch to your own death.