Planet Concept

OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Planet Concept

Post by OmegaRenegade »

I posted a little bit with this idea, but here is more detail.

My idea is to add a "war-weariness" to planets. So the longer a planet is under attack, the worse its ability to defend itself becomes. Turrets loose thier accuracy, buildings get destroyed quicker, drones fail to launch etc. To counter balance this, support buildings can be built that will reduce these effects.

Power Generators: Prevent building destruction from increasing

Sheild Generators: Once defences are activated (by being attacked) they go into a solid state mode, meaning no more can be added, this means planets cant be stocked, however shield generators can now be built which slowly add shields back onto the planet, the more you have, the quicker they regenerate.

Radar Scanners: Prevents turrets from loosing accuracy, as well as prevents drones from failed launches.

Factories: Builds drones to replace ones that were lost.

Along with these, banks can also be built. They either increase the amount of interest gained from a planet, or reduce bond times.

Lastly, we modify turrets and drones.

Hangers: Now support the discussed two types of drones, the hard hitting low armor ones, or the high armor low damage ones. (battle drones vs defence drones). These different drone types were discussed back when this team was fully active.

Turrets: Are now customizable, you can manipulate the damages and even turret size, within reason

To accomidate these changes, different sized turrets each having a power rating can be built up to a total power value (eg 3 turrets with a 10 power level or 30 turrets with a 1 rating, or something in between)

2000 drones is the max still, same with sheilds at 10 000.

However all new buildings will have limits set, in relation to thier affect. We may also want to look at having two buildings on the go, or something like that.

There is also now a total building limit, so all planets have to be balanced in some reguards.
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Siege
Admin Emeritus

Post by Siege »

I like everything except for having two types of drones.. too crazy.. But if we had these buildings they would have to be called 'Secondary Builds' or something.. and each planet can only have so many.. So there is 4 types of buildings right?

I saw it like this.. each 5 levels you can build another secondary building.. so at level 70 you can have.. 14 secondary buildings? Maybe an extra one at level 70. So 15 total.

They would also have to be expensive..like each one you build gets 10 mil higher in cost.. starting at 10 mil.. So your last one would be like 150 mil or something... I like it.
Member of far too many to name, here are the main ones : The Edge, The Forsaken, S.P.A.M. , Anla'Shok, Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Lead/colead : The Edge, Adult Swim, EPIC, Quiot Riot, Cereal Killers.
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

Variation to a certain point might be a good idea - 240 hangars would just be moronic, though. Good luck ever busting that rock....

If you want minor variations, here's an idea. Keep the "ideal" limits where they are now (or bump it a bit, the numbers are arbitrary here to illustrate my idea) - at 100/100/10, keeping the max level at 70.

Here's the catch: make it so you can build a certain number of extra buildings, but that any # of buildings beyond the "ideal" costs more - ie, an extra hangar past 100 represents two buildings. So, you could have 110 hangars, 80 gens, ten turrets, that sort of thing (the same could work for generators). Obviously, extra turrets would have to cost more in this formula, maybe like fifteen buildings for each turret beyond ten, to a maximum of fifteen turrets. So if you want a firepower only planet, it'd be 15 turrets and 125 hangars (each the maximum I chose for the example) :).

Also, I think as long as the generators are up, turret should *not* be able to be destroyed (shields protecting the turrets). 70 busts can be made easier with a few lucky shots. In the circus last game, we lost a total of 5 ships hitting a 70 once and that should never happen. Maybe even lower the # of buildings killed per shot.

I like OR's ideas about planets getting war wearied, though not necessarily the execution of it.
What, you want something witty?
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

YOU ALL MUST READ: :P

[20:08] <RandyOrsolo> if you've got something in mind, by all means bring it up, but I'd like to discuss the planets thread you started
[20:08] <OmegaRenegade> we can start with planets
[20:09] <RandyOrsolo> War-weariness: good idea. I don't like the counter-balance you had for it, as I don't see what it really adds to the flavor of the game. I think a (wait for Travdan to come out of the bushes at hearing this) mathematical formula of some kind, decreasing what an attack does to "war weary" the planet over time, would work just as effectively
[20:10] <RandyOrsolo> ie. the more you attack, the less "war weariness" that is added to the planet - after a while, you're just blasting in craters youv'e already made, which isn't doing much to the planet. overall damage should stay the same
[20:11] <RandyOrsolo> I know this would be fairly hard to code, but if I cared about coders I wouldn't be here :)
[20:11] <OmegaRenegade> lol
[20:12] <OmegaRenegade> well the idea was that planet defences fall fairly quickly
[20:12] <OmegaRenegade> so over time 2 things happen
[20:12] <OmegaRenegade> 1) things stop working
[20:13] <RandyOrsolo> okay. I was thinking it's just take longer to rebuild or something as opposed to inflicting more real damage, but go on
[20:13] <OmegaRenegade> hang on
[20:14] <OmegaRenegade> damn contacts
[20:14] <OmegaRenegade> 2) the planet also refills itself partially
[20:14] <OmegaRenegade> if we just add war-wariness
[20:14] <OmegaRenegade> defences could end up falling even quicker
[20:14] <OmegaRenegade> in the long run
[20:15] <OmegaRenegade> basically forcing buildiers to build more than just the typical buildings
[20:15] <OmegaRenegade> planets would again be unknown
[20:16] <RandyOrsolo> good thoughts. do we have to force them, though? why not just make planets more customizable then the typical 100/100/10 ones out there now?
[20:16] <RandyOrsolo> give them the choice to customize (ie, uno planets, death planets, and such) as opposed to saying "you have to build these new buildings".
[20:16] <OmegaRenegade> well people can do that, or any other number of other combinations
[20:16] <OmegaRenegade> well, people can build those
[20:17] <RandyOrsolo> dont' get me wrong, I like the idea of some new buildings, but I'm just playing the devil's advocate here (though unlike certain people who shall remain nameless suggesting 240 hangars)
[20:17] <OmegaRenegade> we increase # of allowed total buildings
[20:17] <OmegaRenegade> (LOL)
[20:17] <OmegaRenegade> as well as increase the max # of individual buildings
[20:18] <OmegaRenegade> so people can use the new buildings to customize what role thier rock will play
[20:18] <OmegaRenegade> however, unlike now where all planets end up the same
[20:19] <OmegaRenegade> even at max level planets will have diversity
[20:20] <RandyOrsolo> just not convinced we need new buildings to cutomize planets. that said, I like your approach far better then PV's
[20:20] <RandyOrsolo> customize*
[20:21] <OmegaRenegade> think of it this way, these buildings are "support structures" they increase a planets ability to do *something*
[20:22] <Kahless-AFK> <-- AFK for a bit
[20:22] * Kahless-AFK is now known as Kahless-AFK-AFK
[20:23] <OmegaRenegade> we dont even "need" the war-wariness idea, it just means people will still need some balance
[20:24] <RandyOrsolo> I kinda like that tho :(
[20:24] <RandyOrsolo> just another little touch to add realism to an unrealistic game
[20:24] <OmegaRenegade> yeah
[20:24] <OmegaRenegade> I like it too
[20:25] <Kahless-AFK-AFK> from what i've read it sounds good =)
[20:25] <OmegaRenegade> hehe
[20:25] <OmegaRenegade> hi kah
[20:25] <Kahless-AFK-AFK> lo
[20:25] <OmegaRenegade> I think I like this suggestion to planets more than the old ideas we had, great though they were, twas way too much
[20:26] <OmegaRenegade> this is still simple
[20:27] <Kahless-AFK-AFK> <-- getting food and haircut - i'll bb soon
[20:27] <OmegaRenegade> ok kah
[20:29] <OmegaRenegade> still there randy?
[20:30] <RandyOrsolo> you betcha
[20:30] <OmegaRenegade> what ya thinkin?
[20:30] <RandyOrsolo> just one stupid question from yours truly, since I haven't asked one in a while
[20:30] <OmegaRenegade> heh ok
[20:30] <RandyOrsolo> support buildings do or do not count towards total buildings? or are they seperately counted?
[20:31] <OmegaRenegade> not sure, depends how we decide to do support buildings
[20:31] <OmegaRenegade> as in, each building is a large affect
[20:31] <RandyOrsolo> okay
[20:31] <OmegaRenegade> and only have a few
[20:31] <OmegaRenegade> or each one does a little affect
[20:31] <OmegaRenegade> and have alot
[20:32] <OmegaRenegade> I personally prefer going with the small affect/lots route, in which they would have thier own limit
[20:32] <RandyOrsolo> yeah, no reason to not keep it simple
[20:33] <RandyOrsolo> I love your idea about turrets
[20:33] <OmegaRenegade> which was? lol
[20:33] <RandyOrsolo> varying their damage and amount. now even if it's never allowed, my thoughts will always be consumed by building one super turret
[20:33] <OmegaRenegade> lol
[20:34] <OmegaRenegade> yeah, that was a good one
[20:35] <RandyOrsolo> hell to balance, but that's the kind of relatively simple change we should be aiming for. if the support buildings can be done simply (and, most importantly, ;) off PV), I'm all for it
[20:36] <RandyOrsolo> not that I won't stop exploring other options like the idea I presented in my post, but it looks good
[20:36] <OmegaRenegade> for turrets instead of having a set # I'd like to see a setup similar to weapons, where different sized ones will require more power, so there is a set amount of power they require
[20:36] <OmegaRenegade> hehe ok
[20:36] <RandyOrsolo> end of my productive evening. I'll probably be on again friday
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Prince Valiant
Admin Emeritus

Re: Planet Concept

Post by Prince Valiant »

OmegaRenegade wrote:I posted a little bit with this idea, but here is more detail.

My idea is to add a "war-weariness" to planets. So the longer a planet is under attack, the worse its ability to defend itself becomes. Turrets loose thier accuracy, buildings get destroyed quicker, drones fail to launch etc. To counter balance this, support buildings can be built that will reduce these effects.

Along with these, banks can also be built. They either increase the amount of interest gained from a planet, or reduce bond times.

Lastly, we modify turrets and drones.

To accomidate these changes, different sized turrets each having a power rating can be built up to a total power value (eg 3 turrets with a 10 power level or 30 turrets with a 1 rating, or something in between)

2000 drones is the max still, same with sheilds at 10 000.

However all new buildings will have limits set, in relation to thier affect. We may also want to look at having two buildings on the go, or something like that.

There is also now a total building limit, so all planets have to be balanced in some reguards.

i tdont like the sound of any of it i hate the idea of warwariness
I am the calm before the storm, The second before the crash.
Space Merchant Realms Administrative Team
Prince Valiant
Admin Emeritus

Re: Planet Concept

Post by Prince Valiant »

Prince Valiant wrote:
i tdont like the sound of any of it i hate the idea of warwariness
thats why
I am the calm before the storm, The second before the crash.
Space Merchant Realms Administrative Team
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

Shameless bump (reread, post thoughts, and such).

I think we should make planets vary in size (ie. smaller and larger planets), and make it so smaller planets "support" the larger planets.

Yeah, I know it's late, but I think we need to give alliances somethign to do late game besides bust 70's and clear, in terms of territory wars.

More to come as I gain coherence over the next few days.
What, you want something witty?
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I like the idea of varying the build possibilities on planets. Don't like the war-weariness idea. Planets with different build combinations could offer a variety of defenses (and thus attack challenges). For instance, say a planet still can have a total of 210 buildings on it to achieve level 70. But instead of a fixed 100 gens, 100 hangars, 10 turrets the planet owner has control over how the planet builds will be concentrated within a set of parameters. Perhaps exchanging builds of one type for another.

Example:
5 gens = 2 hangar
10 gens = 1 turret
5 hangars = 1 turret
etc...

So you'd have some planets with 80 gens and 110 hangars and 10 turrets, others with 120 gens, 75 hangars, and 15 turrets, etc.

Only the planet owner could set these. It would need to be balanced so you don't have unbustable planets.

Another thing on varying the purposes of planets...following in Omega and RandyOs line of thought perhaps: Constuction could be focused on other purposes beyond strictly defense, making planets have different functions or act differently beyond the two main ones we have now: bonder and parker.

Different building types:
Factories to improve planet build speed (requires slaves to operate)
Metropolitan to improve cash production (raise % of bond or some other new mechanism?) on planets
Shipyards to repair damaged ships at some rate of speed when they're parked
Storage bunkers to stockpile goods beyond the 600 current max.

Working still withing the 210 buildings limit, you could potentially have many different types and these others would be less well defended because of the concentration on their other function.
that which pods you makes you stronger
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

Yeah I got to agree, I don't like the war-weariness idea. Having buildings counter act it doesn't seem like it would balance out enough.

On top of this, the agressing nation usually has war-weariness, while the defending nation (ie the planet) has a signicantly less war-weariness, as they are the ones being violated.

What would seem a little more realistic it is maybe planetary resistance. It wouldn't have to be anything like you lose the planet or anything from the resistance, but say sabotage. The resistance destroys a turret if you don't have enough warbirds parked on the planet. The resistance would eventually go down to nothing.

To go along with that, if the original owning alliance started busting that planet, the resistance would jump significantly, and if they took the planet back, the resistance would go immediately away.

Not that this is a good idea or anything, but I still say war-weariness is a very bad idea.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
MrSpock
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by MrSpock »

i don't like it either. if i understood it right you want to take away the refilling instead sid back and hope the planet produces enough shield until attacks get it or are dead?
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your trader will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the creator of SMR.