New Layout

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: New Layout

Post by Freon22 »

I fixed the problem with the animation and firefox. Now if you click the link the animation will run then the link will bring you back to the smr web board.

On a side note, HK wanted to know if the animations will slow down the links. The answer was yes! Right now SMR is a text based game and text based game are fast. You click a link or button and something happens but text based games do not have graphic. Yes you can change background images and do a few other things but they are still text based.

Most user now a days want more from their web based games. They want graphics, animations, interaction with the game and the other players. These new style games bring some old problems back to the front. Some of you may remember the old problem of the 14k and 56k modem. If you were running a 14k modem you were kills by those players that were lucky enough to have a 56k modem.

Graphics and animation kind of bring back those type of problem again. The ones with a high speed connection and a fast running computer will have an edge on those with low speed connections and slow running computers. I don't know if SMR is even going to use my layout after I finish it. But I do know that you can not have high graphics and animations with out paying a price somewhere along the way. So if SMR uses my layout of someone else's layout you will have some of these problems. That is unless someone else's is a mid-grade graphics on a still text based game.

Well back to working on the html and css part of the layout. :D
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Freon, my point wasn't about the general concept of graphics slowing down load time. It was about this particular graphic being placed where it is in the game and the impact it would have on the strategies used in the game. I'm all for spicing up planets with graphics to make them more interesting/attractive. But when a cool animation puts my ship at risk, and I'm unable to take off or land safely on a planet if enemy ships are in sector, I see that as a bad idea. Layout/design changes must take into account the way the game is played.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Over riding that animation is a simple as changing the link ID. So Page could set it so if enemy ships are IS he can just give the link a different ID name.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I was think that the way it is right now, when you enter a sector with a planet. You can examine the planet which makes you load a new page. To make things faster and since most of the info is already on the page it would save sever bandwidth and player time if we just have a pop-up to show the planet info and the option to "Land" or if not your alliance to "Attack". So I made a fast pop-up for the planets.

Keep in mind that this is only a shell and still needs to be styled. But when I'm finish everything will be in the right place and it should look cool.

Let me know what you think of this idea?

PS: If you have already been to the page you may need to refresh your browser for it to work.
SpaceDoG
Quiet One

Post by SpaceDoG »

I'm jealous :(
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

SpaceDoG wrote:I'm jealous :(
Thanks SpaceDoG! But the impression I got was that SMR does not want to go with my layout. They have a professional designer working on new images and login page? I think maybe more? Anyway when I started this layout I did not know if SMR would want to use it or not. I was having fun building it so I did not mind but since they are not going to use it. I stopped working on it about two weeks ago. Being that I do like it and I think it is cool looking and is up to date, I made some adjustments and am using it on another project.

So it was not a waste of my time and I had a boat load of fun putting together what I did of it.

Thanks again! :D
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

I think you should finish it.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

screen shot or css so i can try it out?
ImageImage
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Work has resumed on this project
BeJimmieboaws

New Layout

Post by BeJimmieboaws »

Im really not sure how the forums work or anything. I was just wondering if we could change the theme/color/whatever its called for the forums.
Im not really liking the new layout all that much, even though I understand you had to upgrade. It just all seems very blocky and itll take some time to get used to. But if I can, Id like to mess with the colors or something.

On another note: Whoot for the banner and the top links back. NC just doesnt seem like NC without that banner
And the smilies are the old ones too, much love for that