Ingame Chat

SnakeBite
Newbie Spam Artist

Ingame Chat

Post by SnakeBite »

This is probably an idea that will be flamed to death within a week but here goes...

I suggest an in-game trade bar on the side such as can be found on many websites. This would be a little white box on the right hand side of the screen in which a live chat would be running at all times. If possible it could be linked to the #smr Irc channel. The main goal of this would be to help newbies. I realize this would create many problems especially involving flame and swearing control but I also believe it would be worth it and I'll try and explain why.

After an extremely long absence (In the region of 5-6 years) I decided to play around with SMR again. I was shocked at how little I could I remember of the game. I am essentially once more a complete newbie. While remembering quite allot of the game such as trading mechanics, I forgot things as simple as plotting a course. Luckily, knowing about the mIRC chat site, I could immediately ask JJ, an old friend, on mIRC to remind me on some of the things I was suddenly useless at.

In theory I could have sent a global message, but there is something inexplicably daunting about doing that, even if I knew that it existed. I've played my fair share of MMORPG's and the one positive thing I could take from all of them was that as soon as something didn't make sense to me I would simply ask on the global chat. Why this is less daunting then SMR's global message system I'm not sure. It probably has to do with the fact that the replies are instant. A reply usually came fairly quickly from helpful player and the conversation would usually continue in a private chat where that player would then happily answer all my questions.

These side chat bars are also not a new concept and newbies wouldn't need any knowledge of the game to know how to use it.

Unless things have changed here, as I recall there was never a shortage of people willing to help new players, in fact it was the opposite. This could be a way to reach them more effectively since things like manuals and tutorials have proven ineffective. People really don't like reading those, they want to start playing asap and this way we get to answer specific questions instead of giving them 2 tons of info to sort through.
SnakeBite
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Ingame Chat

Post by SnakeBite »

Also, if someone knows of a site with an example of a chat box, please post a link.
Beausoleil
Quiet One

Post by Beausoleil »

Just need to set up a jabber client - Facebook uses this, as does Torn City I believe. I think the only issue with it could be how it affects the latency of page loads...but Page is the authority on such matters here.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

This requires more discussion but I am for it.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

I like it.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Its more an issue of placement.. then it is actually coding IMO.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Approved.

Location: right panel directly under the section provided for weapons on your ship.
Grey Death
Anonymous Roman General
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

That's not allot of room...
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Doesn't need to be.

Live example in competing game here: http://en.playpulsar.com/
Grey Death
Anonymous Roman General
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

hmmm might work..
btw...

Round II has just ended. The winners are:

Best level: I Stand Alone (lvl. 94)
Top fighter: I Stand Alone (8223 fights won)

Wonder if its the same ISA... ;)