Public User Ranks

XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Public User Ranks

Post by XDemonX »

Freon22 wrote:
XDemonX wrote:Would look ugly in public view. This scale is used to force people to try something new in the game.
Ugly! that is your opinion not the public's opinion. You should also try to use another word other then "force". People do not like to be forced to do anything. Make sure that you guys put this to the players for a vote instead of just here on the board. If you pushed this through without giving the players a chance to voice their opinions. You may find that some of them will just think whats the point and leave. Can the game afford to lose many more players?

I think SMR has reached a point that each thing that you add to or remove from the game. Should be weigh to see if it will add players or lose players.

XDemonX, your idea is good but it does tell every player in the game that is very good at something that they still don't know how to play. Orca was the best hunter this game has ever seen he was a master at hunting. I don't think he like some of the other thing but he did them for the alliance. I am not sure what would have happened if you forced him to do anything other then what he liked and wanted to do.

I have a test for you! Are you an alliance leader? If so tell your hunters that this round they can not hunt but have to trade for the first half of the game. Tell your traders they can not trade but have to hunt for the first half of the game. What you will be doing is forcing those two groups to do something that they do not like to do. If they happily do it then I am wrong about people and your idea should go through just the way you have it.

Last I do like XDemonX idea being changed so that you have a Masters in each category and if you get Master in all category's you are a SMR Spooky. :-)
I apologize Freon22, I gave you a half-ass response earlier with that reply. I should have worded it a bit better and gave more explanation than using vague words like "ugly" and "force"

Alright so what I am talking about in this suggestion is the idea of a public view of ranks. It wouldn't be you have to click through couple different screens to see their rank it would be a quick view. My suggestion lays it out on CPL view but more realistically what I could see happen is it viewed when you click on their name. When I said "Would look ugly in public view" i didn't mean the public agrees with me. I mean wouldn't look good on current player list/trader results.. This is my opinion that it would look ugly. For example

#1 is how it is currently setup. Easy switch so you don't clutter it too much is take the "online" column out or the "newbie" column. The main key is keeping it a clean look.

#2 is how I am suggesting. Makes it simple so you can see the player's rank. To achieve the rank of "elite" you have to show skill in 3 of the 4 categories. Then possibly the rank can be clickable to view more detailed stats of the player. This can be used by other players or possibly alliance leaders who are considering their options on recruiting players.

#3 is a basic idea of how I am picturing your suggestion. It kinda clutters the page and it CANNOT be displayed like that on CPL or it would be a true mess. SMR is a game about using all aspects of the game to be the best. Would you consider someone a "Master" by just being good at trading? For your example you used Orca. I have played with Orca many times and his hunting skills are amazing. He could possibly be ranked "Master" for kills.. does this mean he is a master? Back in the day when we had a basic rank system it was based off strictly kills/experience traded. I believe Lotus was the first person to achieve Master. Lotus is a player that had played this game years upon years, leading alliances and doing everything possibly.. He could possibly be called a "Master".
To compare another player we can talk about Holy. Holy is currently the #1 trader in the Hall of Fame by a large margin. He will achieve the rank of Master for your idea. Yes it will be in trading but he can still call himself a master if anyone asks. Do you believe he is a true "Master" by only trading game after game after game?

To address my word choice of "force" that was poor wording by me. It will promote different styles of gameplay for players to tryout in SMR. This could possibly lead to more alliance competition. Just about every game there is 2 alliances. Yes I understand this game low player based at the moment but there are enough active players who choose not to participate in a alliance and it could possibly form a 3rd alliance. Some of these categories are not possible to reach the quota playing solo. SMR is not a game meant to be played solo. I understand a lot of people have time constrictions and cannot play a couple hours a day like some people. Most alliances require very little time to be contributing member.

To address your point about getting more feedback. I 100% agree. I posted this thread on my alliance message board, put it in #SMR trying to get more feedback. The more feedback from players the better. Yet, a change like this is not something that is going to make players quit the game over. In my eyes now (sorry Page I love you) the rank system we currently have in place is non-existent. Like i said previously, this is something that I have talked to very few people about (wish there were more people that would give feedback) but the people I talked to (including myself) would like a idea like this as it will give them something to work towards in a game that resets every couple months. We record all this data only to be thrown in Hall of Fame that isn't used for much.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

XDemonX it is not my idea it is jouldax's idea. He added his idea to your idea and made it better. Your image showing CPL display you could list it as OverAll Rank in stead of just Rank. The over all rank is the ranking system that you are suggesting. Now with just a little bit of CSS and/or javascript you could have a mouseOver that will show the rest of the ranking. Or like you said you could make it a clickable link but I kinda like the mouseover event better.

So everyone is happy you get the ranking system and you are not taking away anyone hard work that they put in to get a rank in a category that they are very good at.

So what do you think?
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

XDX - there's no reason to have it be displayed like your third option. A mouseover per Freon's suggestion or even the ability to select one title at a time would be the most likely solution. Maybe have a category ranking system and a combined ranking system (expert in 3 categories grants you title of Stellar Explorer or some such nonsense). Either way, it definitely doesn't need to be cluttered.
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

jouldax wrote:XDX - there's no reason to have it be displayed like your third option. A mouseover per Freon's suggestion or even the ability to select one title at a time would be the most likely solution. Maybe have a category ranking system and a combined ranking system (expert in 3 categories grants you title of Stellar Explorer or some such nonsense). Either way, it definitely doesn't need to be cluttered.

XDX agrees that there is no reason to have it displayed like option 3. He is just stating that that is how he thought Freon was suggesting it should appear.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Incognito wrote:
jouldax wrote:XDX - there's no reason to have it be displayed like your third option. A mouseover per Freon's suggestion or even the ability to select one title at a time would be the most likely solution. Maybe have a category ranking system and a combined ranking system (expert in 3 categories grants you title of Stellar Explorer or some such nonsense). Either way, it definitely doesn't need to be cluttered.

XDX agrees that there is no reason to have it displayed like option 3. He is just stating that that is how he thought Freon was suggesting it should appear.
I understand that - I'm just confirming it definitely doesn't need to be that way and offering additional ideas as to how it might be accomplished so it doesn't look that way.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Change the Online column to a red or green "light", take out the newbie column completely.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

I see no reason to have on-line status displayed in rankings.

That feature is already implemented for alliances rosters.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

RCK wrote:I see no reason to have on-line status displayed in rankings.

That feature is already implemented for alliances rosters.
Where?
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

okay its.. 'implemented' ;)

IE its been coded just not applied to live. Its on beta though.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

its not in ranking, hes talking about when you click on a players name, try and keep up...
Current:
New Online:
New Offline

Oh and not to steal Demon's thread add the ranking column in there somewhere