Public User Ranks

Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Re: Public User Ranks

Post by Jester- »

I posted a Request a Feature that has a tangent with this.

I'd like to make player rank more visible for a way to show off your skills. Maybe put it on current players and when you click on someones name. It will say (Scout) Master Jester (Ensign) Newbie Mr Spock. This would add a use to the stat besides another hidden modifier.
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

We could always have a "master" level for each category, and you can only obtain the "spooky" player title by becoming a master in all categories
Or we could have Master level for each category, and a Spooky level for a set of categories (like being master in all trade categories, master in all hunting categories, etc.)
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

jouldax wrote:We could always have a "master" level for each category, and you can only obtain the "spooky" player title by becoming a master in all categories
Would look ugly in public view. This scale is used to force people to try something new in the game.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

XDemonX wrote:Would look ugly in public view. This scale is used to force people to try something new in the game.
Ugly! that is your opinion not the public's opinion. You should also try to use another word other then "force". People do not like to be forced to do anything. Make sure that you guys put this to the players for a vote instead of just here on the board. If you pushed this through without giving the players a chance to voice their opinions. You may find that some of them will just think whats the point and leave. Can the game afford to lose many more players?

I think SMR has reached a point that each thing that you add to or remove from the game. Should be weigh to see if it will add players or lose players.

XDemonX, your idea is good but it does tell every player in the game that is very good at something that they still don't know how to play. Orca was the best hunter this game has ever seen he was a master at hunting. I don't think he like some of the other thing but he did them for the alliance. I am not sure what would have happened if you forced him to do anything other then what he liked and wanted to do.

I have a test for you! Are you an alliance leader? If so tell your hunters that this round they can not hunt but have to trade for the first half of the game. Tell your traders they can not trade but have to hunt for the first half of the game. What you will be doing is forcing those two groups to do something that they do not like to do. If they happily do it then I am wrong about people and your idea should go through just the way you have it.

Last I do like XDemonX idea being changed so that you have a Masters in each category and if you get Master in all category's you are a SMR Spooky. :-)
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Freon22 wrote:
XDemonX wrote:Would look ugly in public view. This scale is used to force people to try something new in the game.
Ugly! that is your opinion not the public's opinion. You should also try to use another word other then "force". People do not like to be forced to do anything. Make sure that you guys put this to the players for a vote instead of just here on the board. If you pushed this through without giving the players a chance to voice their opinions. You may find that some of them will just think whats the point and leave. Can the game afford to lose many more players?

I think SMR has reached a point that each thing that you add to or remove from the game. Should be weigh to see if it will add players or lose players.

XDemonX, your idea is good but it does tell every player in the game that is very good at something that they still don't know how to play. Orca was the best hunter this game has ever seen he was a master at hunting. I don't think he like some of the other thing but he did them for the alliance. I am not sure what would have happened if you forced him to do anything other then what he liked and wanted to do.

I have a test for you! Are you an alliance leader? If so tell your hunters that this round they can not hunt but have to trade for the first half of the game. Tell your traders they can not trade but have to hunt for the first half of the game. What you will be doing is forcing those two groups to do something that they do not like to do. If they happily do it then I am wrong about people and your idea should go through just the way you have it.

Last I do like XDemonX idea being changed so that you have a Masters in each category and if you get Master in all category's you are a SMR Spooky. :-)
I am his alliance leader and I have told hunters they aren't hunting before. It comes down to how firm of a hand you lead by. I am guessing by your comments you haven't played in an alliance role in a while. Might be best to do that before commenting on alliances and their leadership.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Your response makes no sense JettJackson. Freon22 has been around longer than you and has been in many different kinds of alliance. He couldn't be more spot on with what he is saying. You should not be forced to play a certain style to achieve a rank. Sure you get diminishing returns, but it is still possible.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Jester- wrote:Your response makes no sense JettJackson. Freon22 has been around longer than you and has been in many different kinds of alliance. He couldn't be more spot on with what he is saying. You should not be forced to play a certain style to achieve a rank. Sure you get diminishing returns, but it is still possible.
You don't think a well rounded player shouldn't achieve the highest ranking overall? Seems silly to have rankings based upon one thing solely. Being around longer is irrelevant to the equation especially considering how much SMR has changed through time.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Some of the mechanics and equations may have changed but frankly the concepts and more specifically the way the main allainces function have not changed in 14+ years.

Freon22 has been around as long as I have and has as good a grasp on the game et al as the rest of us.

I prefer the idea of Master for each category and Spooky for Master of all.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Just so we're clear, master in each category was my idea, not XDX's :P
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

JettJackson wrote:
Jester- wrote:Your response makes no sense JettJackson. Freon22 has been around longer than you and has been in many different kinds of alliance. He couldn't be more spot on with what he is saying. You should not be forced to play a certain style to achieve a rank. Sure you get diminishing returns, but it is still possible.
You don't think a well rounded player shouldn't achieve the highest ranking overall? Seems silly to have rankings based upon one thing solely. Being around longer is irrelevant to the equation especially considering how much SMR has changed through time.
Let me try and break this down a little.

A well rounded player should get a higher rank, assuming their well roundedness outstrips someone's mastery of a few certain categories. I don't think someone who gets a few kills, attends some PBs and builds a few structures should be able to surpass a Hugh type player who builds like a machine for their alliance. Their needs to be a very big weighty balance on how well you do some activities.

Why is it silly to have rankings based on a feature of the game? A Master Planet Builder would be a cool title to have, as well as a Master Trader, Hunter or any other category we as the player base decides. Then you could choose a ranking that shows publicly to show off your skills.

How much has SMR really changed over the years? We still trade, build planets, mine and hunt. I daresay nothing has REALLY changed besides an upgrade in mechanics thanks to Page.