Newbie Spam Artist

Re: SMR Tutorial

Post by jouldax »

Wiki + newbie games = tutorial
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

I was talking with SD a couple weeks ago, about downloading a free recording program ive used for other things, and recording our screens while we go after some targets. Would be maybe a 5 min video, then we would do a voice track afterwards that explains what we are doing and why. I think that would be very informative.

What newbies need to know, is what pages to click and look at in what situations. When to watch local, when to scan, when to check cpl really quickly, when to check combat logs, when to run, how to setup a trap. They would also get to see how some of us have the chat window open and the browser open at the same time. Me personaly, I have chat squished to 1/4 my screen on the right, and game window 3/4 my screen on the left. I never miss a callout and can switch to chat quickly to communicate. Ive known some that use the bottom of screen for chat and top for game. Some people even just use different tabs and cant see chat while play, having to switch between game and chat (dunno why lol)

A simple 5 min video of real in game play with explanation would be enough to let new players get an idea of what they have to do and why. After seeing that video, most players will have a general concept and can take it from there and learn on the go.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

there already is some videos http://video.smrealms.de/

Why I agree wiki + newbies games should help, a step by step ingame tutorial wouldnt be bad.
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

RCK wrote:there already is some videos http://video.smrealms.de/

Why I agree wiki + newbies games should help, a step by step ingame tutorial wouldnt be bad.
Ya but thats not even remotely close to what I was refering too. Im talking a real time video of in game action. Not just a look at the game or how to use lazy trader.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Kard-excellent idea on recording an op. I have no problems adding such a video to the existing videos along with the wiki and newbie games.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

I think that's not a bad idea. I'd approve as well.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Can we get back to a real in-game tutorial? Will this ever be done? It shouldn't be that hard to implement hints, tips or a whole simulation to train newbies. We need this yesterday.
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

Jester- wrote:Can we get back to a real in-game tutorial? Will this ever be done? It shouldn't be that hard to implement hints, tips or a whole simulation to train newbies. We need this yesterday.
Agreed. We need something that new players can click through themselves, not that they need to follow a link to watch. Few players want to read a manual to learn how to play. The tutorial needs to appear after the creation of an account before they ever start a game, so that they have an idea of what they want to do and can make better race decisions based on that. It takes a lot of time to teach each newbie the same things every game.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Somewhere... Page had a template for how these need to be written up.... now if i could just find it...
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »