SMR Tutorial

LotuS
Beta Tester

SMR Tutorial

Post by LotuS »

Its very clear from the voices of the player base and from MrSpock that the game needs a tutorial. Something that we can link in big letters on the play game screen so that all new people can go through and get a general idea of "what the hell is going on here."

There have been 2 types of tutorials proposed. A static tutorial, e.g. a smr page with almost all links removed, they get a instructuion and they can only click that way. This is very tedious and time consuming.

The screen shot with explination tutorial. Basicly a tutorial of screen shots with text boxes, arrows, markers, to tell the person in a few simple instructions what is what and how things work.

Of these 2 types of tutorials the picture tutrorial would probably be the easiest and most effecient to do. What i am posting this for is I would like to attempt to make one. Well i would like US, the SMR improvment team to make one. This thread has gone neglected and me roach, and nariis are the only ones who ever even use the IRC chat for smr-improvment anymore. Its a ghost of what it was supose to be. I think we need a project to get us going. This is the perfect thing.

So let me lay out what is going to need to be done to complete this. Lots of screen shots. good screen shots with stuff that can be used to explain simple aspects of the game, such as;

Trading
Fighting
Moving
Feding
Planets
Forces
Polotics
Alliances
Relations
Levels
Experience
Configurable Hardware (each individually explained)
Ships
Weapons
Money
Interest gain
Scanning
Galaxy map
Local map

and more as we think of them...
Each of these will require a screenshot from the game as well as a simple writeup of what is in the pic and what/how it is relevent to them as a new player. We can provide extraneous links to things like a 'Complete Ship List' and 'Level Requirements' pages easily in and among these. We need to tell it in a way that they will understand, e.g. no game slang.

For a Example of the type of tutorial I am talking about go here
http://eve-online.com/faq/faq_01.asp
Click on the 'Picture Tutorial' in the left navigation menu. That is what we are going for. If you are interested in helping on this tutorial post here. Everyone is welcome, especially Admins and experienced players.

As a reminder the irc channle for the SMR-Improvement team is #smr-improve
key is shakeup
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

Also I do think I have time so we can make a tutorial. I would just have to think for a while on how exactly to implement it.

It would be fairly easy to add a game type 'Tutorial' and add a database table with their next step...we would still show them all the buttons but unless they click the right one they will get an error telling them what really to do. Heres a simplified version of what the db would look like

Code: Select all

Current Player Tutorial Table
Player_ID                    Step
542                               5              

Overal Tutorial Table
Step                   Desc                           Message
1                         Examine Port          Click examine next to port
2                        Buy Food                Click the Buy Button next to the food
3                        Move to sector 2      Click the #2 in the middle of the screen
4                         Examine Port          Click examine next to the prot
5                         Sell Wood               Click sell next to the wood
In this example the player would see 'Message' at the top of the screen. If the did something against 'Message' They would get an error message tell them what to do.

We could really add as many steps as we wanted into the tutorial and theoretically each step wouldn't be very hard to add.

I would be willing to start coding this now. But I would need help from you guys. If you guys want this way post here and we can start on it.
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

Im all for it. It seems that we are geting a lack of participation here...
theres less than 25 members to this usergroup anyway. perheps we could move this thread to general discussion or something.

All you goto do is catch me online and i will try to help as much as i can.
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

The lack of participation is probably because some of us don't see how this is different from general discussion/suggestions forum.

Anyways, I think this idea would be good if there is an option to skip it as well-like leaving newbie protection, it could be advised against it (maybe two warnings instead of one) but if people want to learn stuff on their own, they should be able to.
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

The tutorial would be a game you join, so obviously its optional.

The reason for this forums is to have ideas discussed and refined before we present them to the public.
-Henry David Thoreau
Thauglor
Quiet One

Post by Thauglor »

Think all agree that a tutorial would be great, so whats needed from us? To me it "just" looks like coders need to code
The almighty Thauglor
Lords of Melnibone

HoA, DS, UT, TC, TE, TSM, DD, DEATH, SP, DC, Virus, MH
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

I believe Zool needs a list of steps.....
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

yes a list of ships would be great. Also right now I am talking to spock about how exactly we want to implement this so it may take a week or so to get started (new game types have the potential to slow things down so we are looking for a way to keep game fast while still having special games)
-Henry David Thoreau
Remlak
Beta Tester

Post by Remlak »

sounds like something to do...let me know when we are ready to go, and what exactly you will be needing from us
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: SMR Tutorial

Post by RCK »

Requires discussion.