Newbies how to help them..

canff
Beta Tester

Newbies how to help them..

Post by canff »

Moved my post here for talk and ideas...

I would like to see a small race based learning game (newbie game).. where each new player has to play each race... and learn each race, and what each race has to offer,

You can make it into tasks where they need to complete each task and so many tasks to move on to the next race.

Lets see 10 step to vet game program

? 1. Alskant
? 2. Creonti
? 3. Human
? 4. Ik'Thorne
? 5. Nijarin
? 6. Salvene
? 7. Thevian
? 8. WQ Human
? 9. Newbie game
? 10 Vet game
Make it so that when a new player signs up they have 2 options,

#1 Apply for vet games, for old players that may come back to the game, admin sends a code that makes the account vet, in the email,

#2 New Player training, Goes into the 10 step program

Have a start page that tells them what is going to happen, you could make it a easy flash download that just has some easy on the eyes info on the 10 step program and why it is there.

Have them start, with alskant, this one would have a little more to it as they would need to learn what each page does what all the icons mean , small walk through of each button.
Then go into a plot to this location and into a this is a port , this is what is in side and what you need to know to trade, relations etc, how a ship works ,, when trading,

Get then to trade up to 200 exp on a 1x
Then move up to a bigger ship say the Ist or DS, And trade up to 1k exp
Then get into a TM or PSF and trade up to 10 k on a nice 5 or 7x?.

When they get to 10k and have that done you can move on to stage 2? Creonti.
This would be there weapons area for training.
And so on you can use each race to teach something new?

? 3. Human- Jump Drive
? 4. Ik'Thorne- Forces
? 5. Nijarin- How to fight forces
? 6. Salvene-IG/Planets
? 7. Thevian-Speed/ports
? 8. WQ Human-Cloak-hunting
? 9. Newbie game-try it all out
? 10 Vet game-show what you know

Just an idea?IT could work..
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I like the idea of a guided training program. I think going through every race and weapon setup is a little overboard, but the basic idea here is really good. Would just need to be tailored to the main skills that we want players to have before they enter a real game.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Grey
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Grey »

First of all I'd like to promote my suggestion from this thread:
http://smrcnn.smrealms.de/viewtopic.php?t=8522

Second I have another suggestion. What newbies really need is not to learn the game fast. What they really need is interaction with other players and to get a positive experience from the game.

When I started SM many years back I sucked hard (Not saying anything about the present!) but some guys took me in anyway and only laughed when I blew up yet another FU in a mine field. So I got hooked on the game, or rather I got hooked on the players. So what we need is to get newbies into good alliances and most importantly get them into chat.

So how do we get them into good alliances? Give me one good reason why I should recruit new people besides my good samaritan heart. Well they can't use capitals which is good because... Oh wait that kinda sucks for a top alliance.

So how about introducing some tactical advantages for having low rated players around? A couple of suggestions could be:
- If you have 5 or more players below fledgling in your alliance, you'll get more interest on your bonds (they'll have to stay in the alliance for the whole bonding period)
- 5 or more lower rated players means shorter build times
- Lower rated players' mines do slightly more damage (or they get a damage bonus against forces. Means they'll be popular for opping alliances)
- Insert your suggestion here...

These are just brain storming ideas. Numbers are just examples.

[Edit: grammar]
Pings seldom come alone and rarely when you're online
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: Newbies how to help them..

Post by JettJackson »

this could be expanded upon.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Newbies how to help them..

Post by jouldax »

The system would be totally abused. I like the idea of newbie games that require 2 veteran leaders, and I think we should also have a "vetting" list (pun intended) where we allow certain vets to participate in the newbie games if we're short on numbers and to promote activity. Vets in the newbie games will not be allowed to initiate combat but will act as mentors for the new players and provide a more alliance-like atmosphere.