Galactic Post Archive : The Sunday Star V.1

News from the "Galactic Post" and "The Space Merchant Reporter" and "News Control"
GalacticPost
Quiet One

Galactic Post Archive : The Sunday Star V.1

Post by GalacticPost »

40 Acres and a Mule

The Milliways space system may only be a few millennia old, but we are beginning to see the first signs of planet habitation. As the planets begin to cool to a level sufficient to support life, the first bold alliances have chosen to stake their claim to the precious territory. However, shortages in the availibility of this prime real estate is expected to cause high tensions between potential colonists. Conflict is expected to be high in this land rush, despite lucrative recent sales in planetary defenses. Rumblings from the non-racial galaxies suggest that early moves by some larger conglomerates may cause monopolies of entire galaxies. Could the large scale claiming of planets be harmful to the future prospects of smaller alliances, or will the pending wars of these giants allow them to carve out a small niche elsewhere in relative peace?

From the Mind of a Founder: An Interview with Mr Spock

DFA: Well I guess my first question is what made you decide to reopen the game this past year? I am in that group that when the old game went down I quit playing and this is my first game back. MR Spock: Actually this game is almost 3 years old. It was started in August 2001. I used to spend a lot of hours in the original Space Merchant, trading, fighting, and even leading my own alliance. When it was clear it was dead I thought why not remaking it? We had a lot of fun in Rain of Death and a lot of us didn't like playing Merchant Empires. So after a few hours the first accounts were created and a day later you were able to move. DFA: What kind of response have you gotten to the relaunch of the game? MR Spock: The response was indeed huge. I don't know exactly how long it took to create the first 100 accounts but it was only a matter of hours. During development I used to hang out in #spacemerchant, so the word of a new game spreaded really fast. A lot of old players showed up. A few you can still see around. SMR got so much attention that Shareplay decided to bring the original game back. DFA: How much success do you think you can have with shareplay relaunching it also? MR Spock: The success of the game depends on the community. Good publicity around the Internet and the new server will help to improve our situation. So that really depends on the players. ~~~~ Death from Above reporting live Centarus Galaxy

The Galactic Lotto: It Could Be You!

Tired of the small profits of hunting or trading the same old routes? Wouldn’t it be nice if there were a quick way to make some cash? Look no further than, “The Galactic Lotto”. Potential winners often overlook this fabulous feature of SMRealms. With tickets costing a mere 1 million credits and prizes in the millions, you too could be one of our big winners and raking in the cash. You don’t need a degree in mathematics to realise that buying several tickets will increase your chances of winning. Reach for the stars. Play the Galactic Lotto.

Distinguished Leader Confesses to Rape: Trial Expected to Ensue

In a stunning slip of the tongue, Sterling, current leader of the Death Control Foundation, inadvertently admitted to multiple rapes in a press release of what he termed 'innocent newbies.' While he has since attempted to downplay the statement as being misconstrued, claiming loyalty to his girlfriend, so far five recent victims have come forth in the local news to announce Sterling's vicious assault on their bodies. Federal Authorities are expected to bring this violent tycoon in for questioning shortly, with experts stating a trial will be imminent.

Note from the Editor

Well, it seems its time for round two working here on the Galactic Post. The paper has gone thru some bumpy times since its inception two years ago, but hopefully we'll be able to set matters straight. As always the Galactic Post is seeking eager and new talent to add to our staff. However, a few guidelines for those who wish to write for the Post or would like to understand where it is expected to be heading. First off, the Galactic Post is meant to be an UNBIASED source of news and entertainment. If you wish to use this forum to vent your personal dislikes or opinions, please look elsewhere. That being said, news that is not reported or created cannot be published. If the actions of some alliances seem to be superceding those of others, I encourage you to write in and show us some of the other facets of the SMR community. Third, while I wish articles to be completely factual so as to prevent discourse, feel free to use some poetic licence to make reading more entertaining, whether in a role-playing humorous article or setting a theme in reporting the news. Thirdly, this is a paper, not grammar class. Please check your punctuation, spelling, and grammar PRIOR to submittal. An otherwise good article may be dismissed simply due to the amount of editing required to prepare if for publication. Thank you. Galactic Post Editor #1
The Galactic Post is seeking new journalists! If you're interested, message us at galacticpost80k@hotmail.com!