Milliways - GP Archive: The Irregular Post V.3

News from the "Galactic Post" and "The Space Merchant Reporter" and "News Control"
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Milliways - GP Archive: The Irregular Post V.3

Post by Harry Krishna »

Help Wanted!

Looking For Replacement Port Traders
High Risk, Low Pay (Due to Constant Port Raids)
Short Life-Span, No Health Insurance
No Benefits, No Vacation
No Experience Required (We're Desperate)
Job Description: Try to peddle worthless goods to compensate for the ones that were destroyed in the raids last week, while fending off countless attackers in an endless battle that can only end in more death and destruction. Did we mention no health insurance?
Apply Fast! Our Manager May Be Podded Tomorrow!!!

Thief Alert

Attention to all Alliances!!! It is known that trader "The get up kid" is a thief and a robber. Several days ago he signed up with the alliance Alpha Factor. Then after "borrowing" approximately 33 million in cash from the alliance's Piggy Bank, supposedly for a Death Cruiser, he disappeared from the alliance's roster. General Hue and Cry is up after this notorious robber and criminal. If seen, he should be caught and summarily executed. This is truly the most damaging thing that can happen in the Universe, as it deters good alliances from letting new players have a shot in their ranks. As for you Mr. Get up kid... You should be ashamed... and scared... ~AngryMonk, Alpha Factor

QUADynasty

Dynasty is a new alliance, but has already climbed to the top 10 rankings. Little is known about this up and coming alliance, so the Galactic Post recently took the opportunity to talk briefly with quad, the leader of Dynasty. Here is the discussion:
GP:Why did you choose the name Dynasty?
Q: Truthfully, it has a powerful feel, and I think the name just really works well.
GP: What do you consider to be the most important goal in SMR?
Q: I believe the most important goal in SMR is to have fun while wreaking havoc, paying retribution, building galaxies, building alliances and well, umm insane trading = P
GP: What do you think about your general acceptance? What i mean is, do many people recognize you, or more importantly, your clan?

After that, quad didn't respond. Perhaps the question was too hard and complicated, or he doesn't care about acceptance, or maybe he had to eat dinner. Anyhow, this does shed some light into what quad and his clan Dynasty are aiming to accomplish, and perhaps we'll learn more as Dynasty makes a name for themselves in the Milliways universe.

A New Dawn Arising?

Rumors of internal strife among members of the Dogs of War have been spreading quicker than the Jubox Virus which wiped out half of the inhabitants of the Scutum Galaxy. Recent events have proved that this is more than just scribblings on local tavern toilet stalls. A powerful member of the DoW group, operating under the assumed name of Vagabond, has left that alliance and finally revealed his true identity. This charismatic figure, long known for his feats of agression against alliances both great and small, has reformed the infamous alliance he began two cycles ago. His name is OmegaRenegade and the alliance is Black Sun Ascending.
Perhaps in an attempt to quell the terror struck in the hearts of citizens throughout the galaxies at the mention of the name Black Sun Ascending (even the acronym BSA causes some to shudder), the Federation has denied any knowledge of the existence of such a clan. "Such a thing is ridiculous, no such alliance could pop up right under our noses without our knowledge" says a high ranking council member, who wished to remain anonymous for safety's sake. Still, numerous accounts of victims branded with a black sun rising above the horizon on their crushed hulls have been reported.

The Galactic Post has confirmed that Black Sun Ascending has returned, as indicated by their appearance as a top 10 alliance after being around for a very short time. Apart from OmegaRenegade himself, little is known about the new lineup. BSA is reported to be made up of new players as well as long-time members who OmegaRenegade has attracted with promises of glory and plunder. "I am finally glad to be a part of a clan with a plan," one BSA member said to us through a closed circuit transmission. Reigning organizations such as Death Control don't see them as a threat. "Who cares how much experience they have, as a clan they are no where near the kills or reputation we have, we aren't scared!" said one unidentified top 10 alliance member.

Regardless, Black Sun Ascending can't be ignored, not by the Federation or the highest of alliances or the hapless trader working his route.

Death Control Strikes Back

Following the recent Ultra Blue incursion into Death Control space, military analysts debated the implications of this new turn of events. Was the tide turning against Death Control? Would they ignore the attack and continue their assault on Ursa Major? Had Ultra Blue made themselves the new targets of the Death Control military machine? The answer was not long in coming, as Death Control mine-clearing expeditionary forces in the Lu galaxy were quickly followed by a heavily armed fleet invading Virgo and looking to hand out reprisals. The Ultra Blue fighters were not going to relinquish any territory easily, but lone warships were no match for the incoming fleet as 2 brave Ultra Blue pilots paid for their defensive efforts with their lives.
Surprisingly, the initial attacks were not directed at the heart of Ultra Blue space as Death Control chose a soft target close to the Virgo-Lu warpgate. However, after taking the planet in sector 3192, the invaders started their push towards the heart of Virgo and Ultra Blue's most heavily defended planets. After destroying the defenses of the Ultra Blue HQ, the Death Control fleet chose caution and retreated when confronted by an Ultra Blue fleet launched from the demolished planet. Two DC ships, their flight control systems damaged during the planet assault, were picked off by an Ultra Blue warship when they became seperated from the main fleet. The Utra Blue reprieve was temporary, as the invaders regrouped and returned to deal with the remaining defenders, including the ruthless slaughter of Ultra Blue ships floating helplessly in planetary orbit. The main battle was over, but a portion of the Death Control invasion force mercilessly pounded 3 more Ultra Blue planets before cornering and destroying a single defender who had eluded them and cost them 2 warships that day.

As we go to press, Ultra Blue have already begun the process of reclaiming their home galaxy, but the first efforts have been uncoordinated with one warship already falling the the weakened planets belonging to Death Control. It remains to be seen whether these events herald a fullscale war between the two powerful alliances - only time will tell.

An Unsafe Galaxy?

“Where have our planets gone?” asked many an alliance recently, as the Crusaders, Dogs of War, and the Death Control swept through the galaxy of Europa. These three alliances destroyed over 10 planets and are hungry for more. “This is terrible!” claimed one unnamed alliance member as he watched his alliance lose all of its planets. But it is not terrible to those alliances who are now looking for more power. The DC, DoW, and the Crusaders hold crucial planet strongholds, and will be an even stronger opposing force in later days. Now it is nearly impossible to cross Europa without running into mines, scout drones, and combat drones. And those who do proceed into this labyrinth need an awesome ship, a scanner, and guns to defend themselves from these menacing alliances. Most trading organizations, and even the Federal Government, advise to only go into Europa heavily armed.
In the small Thevian galaxy, 10 DoWs attacked and destroyed a port in Sector 1182, collecting a total of 15 million in funds. So now these major alliances are moving onto killing the innocent. In these times, the best a trader can do is stay within his or her own galaxy until they have reached a high enough level.

Finally, this past week has been an eventful one, probably the most exciting one so far. And as a reporter I’ve had the chance of going into war zones, and even having a death defying escape myself. If you don’t have a good reason for leaving your own galaxy, I would suggest that you stay put, Europa may be too dangerous for all of us.

Turmoil Spreads to Alskant Galaxy.

The Alskant galaxy has recently seen mining operations disrupted along its major trade routes. Coincidence? Cleverly orchestrated plan? We may never know for sure. But what we do know is that in one day 4 traders have been attacked and killed by members of Death Control and Choose Your Poison. The two allainces have even been killing each other in the Alskant galaxy. To add to the mayhem, members of Trigger have been stalking around the area as well as mining. This proves that the increasing turmoil has now stretched to the Alskant galaxy. Where next? Nowhere seems to be safe from this everlasting turmoil. Increasing numbers of traders scurry to the federation for protection, but can it protect them? All those in favour of restoring peace and hope should set about doing so now, before peace and hope are lost.

Danger Lurks in Alskant Trade Routes

By all accounts, the trade routes have gotten ugly out there. What follows is an excerpt of an eyewitness account of actual events in Alskant space. Let the readers of the Galactic Post take note and beware when working in the Alskant galaxy.
....I was plying the space lanes, between Aldebaron and Wolf 356 in the Alskant quadrant when I noted the wreckage....... boxes of Creonti trade goods, charred remains of crewmen, a ship hatch and the usual floatsam and jetsam of a raid that has been all too successful.

I clicked on the scanners, looking for lifepods and any potential salvage (hey I am a trader, it's what I do). I also cranked up the sensors, told my crew to keep an eye out for any of those ships with the death skull on 'em. Looked like the work of those CYP fellas, not sure why they do what they do. Perhaps they were dropped on their heads as kids? Maybe left in the airlock too long, who knows, but obviously they're not inclined to do an honest day's labor of pushing buttons and telling the yard monkeys how to handle cargo. I checked the screens again, safe so far.....

I turned over the command to my #2 and went down to talk to the salvage officer about what was brought in. " Looks like Crusaders got hit again Chief", he intoned.

" Yeah those guys mean well but sometimes, well sometimes the gods just aren't on your side...... " He got that faraway look in his eyes that remembered better days when the spacelanes were less troubled.

Just then I got commed by my #2, "Sir, I'm getting something on the scanner.... some kind of flickering blip."

"Get this ship plotted for Alskant Fed, now! make best possible speed....." I didn't want to end up like that other poor soul. I dropped the charred remains of some wing assembly to the table, turned around and headed back up to the bridge.
that which pods you makes you stronger