Milliways - GP Archive: Trade and Raid V.1

News from the "Galactic Post" and "The Space Merchant Reporter" and "News Control"
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Milliways - GP Archive: Trade and Raid V.1

Post by Harry Krishna »

Economic Warfare

In a new turn of events, it seems that Death Control may now be targeting the economic base of their rivals as well as attacking their planets. The recent Death Control assault on the busy Lu port in sector 2160 leaves previously affluent traders struggling to make a decent profit. The port is thought to have been frequented by many of the top 10 alliance traders, although the port merchants and smaller local traders will also be affected by this unprovoked attack.

Dissention in the Ranks Causes Dynasty Split

It is the fluid nature of intergalactic polititcs that makes alliances spring into being and evaporate just as quickly. When Knight Vision alliance leader Atlas recently negotiated a merger between his alliance and the up-and-coming group Dynasty, it was thought that the ensuing group would be greater than the sum of its parts, making the combined alliance, operating under the name Dynasty, a strong top-ten contender.
This, however, was not to be. Almost immediately, disputes broke out in the group, mostly centered around the fledgling planet brought over from Knight Vision. Most members saw the value of having a planet, but not all agreed that it was worth the trouble. The alliance split into two factions, those for "The Planet," as it was dubbed, and those against it.

Insiders say the arguments about funding, protection, mining and scouting raged back and forth, with no end in sight. "The members of KV since the start felt like a second class member of the alliance thanks mainly to some outspoken 'experts' in Dynasty. With an enivorment like that and some external factors the split wouldve been inevitable," says ex-Knight Vision member Tiamat.

Clearly, it was not only the Knight Vision members that were unhappy with the new arrangement. Many of the leading members of Dynasty felt that certain Knight Vision members were impractical and unfocused.

As events progressed, the situation worsened. Soon the first member of the "pro-Planet" faction broke off. Surprisingly, the rest of the ex-Knight Vision members remained, hopeful that a solution could be reached. Shortly after that, member QuothTheRaven deserted Dynasty for The Rebellion. This was followed by a surprise strike by Dogs of War, which took the troublesome planet out of Dynasty control by force. The Dynasty message board was flooded with "I told you so's" and suggestions that the planet be retaken.

The arguments continued to escalate, culminating in the desertion of over seven Dynasty members for The Rebellion. One can only wonder what Fate has in store for both Dynasty and the ex-KV nomads now in their new Rebellion home...

Last of the Race Hunters

It was only a few galaxies from here that the last true bounty hunter had perished. Circle around and ill tell my tale.
The fateful Hunter sat in Dock 14 of the planet: Nebulon. He had finished painting his 107th kill on the wing of his EoS. He looked at me, and said," Hey kid, wanna see a Hunter at work?" In no way was he overly arrogant, just in his good will I think he wanted to empart his knowledge on a younger soul, for he knew his time was short.

He motioned for me to take the co-pilot seat, I immediately hopped in. He walked over to his locker for a moment, looked at the picture of his wife and kids, kissed the gold medallion awarded him by the Salvene government for his trustowrthy work, took his helmet and 8O walked to the EoS, climbed up the ladder, and hopped into the cockpit beside me.

He flipped on the navigation system and checked his scout msg's. He had few, but that would not keep him from being able to take down enemy hunters.

We launched off the planet and were following a plotted course to Salvene space. On the way there, he flew through a mine field as if the floating bombs were down-filled pillows. He was not afraid.

After entering Salvene space, he got a message regarding a 1v1 with an Ik'Thorne pilot. He of course accepted the invitation and met his betrayer in sector 1465.

He fired his weapons as if the ammo was limitless, but little did we know that it was a planned ambush. Countless Ikky ships started to mine the surrounding sectors, and pour into 1465. Though we both knew the inevitable fate of our ship, he never panicked once. His armor was down to 53 plates when he looked at me and shoved me into the escape pod...He did not join me. As the hull of the ship collapsed, and with a sickening feeling in my stomach I was rushed to a safe location. Not so, the Last of the Race Hunters.

UB Port Raiders Wreak Havoc

Local port authorities have recently reported that Ultra Blue, one of the top ten alliances, carried out a massive operation. A number of UB ships were sighted as they attacked more than four ports in one day. "The port defenses were strong, but these ships showed up with more firepower than we could handle," said local portmaster Elmack Fen.
The bandits made off with approximately 100 million in cash. There's no telling what such a blow will do to local trade, but Federation officials have pledged to take steps to hunt down the criminals.

What is up with all the Darkness around here.....

Dark this, Death that, War there..... whatever happened to the bright sunshine filled galaxies I used to know? Since when did this game suddenly become so dark? It's like we're all under the inexorable influence of black holes.
What ever happened to the thrill of exploring a new galaxy, of honest trading for a handsome profit and the joy of seeing your handle climb the board rankings? What happened to the light hearted banter that used to exist between the alliances in the friendly give and take between galaxies? The days of when the old guys would help the new guys.... the days when

YOU HAVE BEEN DESTROYED BY DEATHWING IN SECTOR 87

Ursa Major Voted Least Safe Galaxy

The Ursa Major galaxy is the least safe galaxy to live in, according to The Better Homes and Galaxies magazine.
In the last several weeks, local Ursa Major residents have watched helplessly as a handful of alliances have made this galaxy their battleground. Death Control, Crusaders, Dogs of War, Rebellion, Ultra Blue...each in turn has torn up these homeworlds' defenses and in their quest for glory and territory as they play Tug-o-War with the planets. The result has been harrowing for the people who live on those worlds.

"We can't take it anymore," said one frantic Ursa Major resident who declined to give her name. "We moved here because Ursa Major was a peaceful place to watch our kids grow up...now I can't go to the corner port to buy a gallon of milk without seeing warships circled over some planet or another!" Other residents have petitioned the Federal government to take action, but there has been no response so far. The Galactic Post attempted to reach the Federal Defense Commander at her office in the Salvene HQ for comment, but was met with a recorded message that the message box was full.

So it appears that until one alliance comes out on top and can hold the galaxy for themselves, or until the Federal government can impose some security in the area, Ursa Major residents will continue to witness the sort of violence and strife that has become all too commonplace.

DC Denies DK

In an unprecedented act, the Dark Knights, led by canff, tried to invade Death Control territory in the Pegasus galaxy.
In a precedented response, Death Control was able to turn the attackers away.

Witnesses in the vacinity of Pegasus spotted about 15 DK ships, led by their legendary leader canff, invading the Pegasus galaxy and clearing many DC mines in the process. However, a Death Control fleet, mustered by General Deus Optimus Maximus, repelled the invasion, and several Dark Knights ships were seen floating wrecked in space. DC leader Sterling was reportedly killed in the defense, and a rare double death occured during which one more DK and DC were each tallied up as podded.

In this daring operation, Dark Knights leader canff took his fleet where few others dare, into DC territory. As they flew into battle, he was heard yelling "DC can take your life, but they can never take your freedom!" Truer words were never spoken.

Great Deal on Planetary Super Freighters!

Get to your local delta quadrant dealer and ask about this amazing new TUV (Trade Utility Vehicle)! It has 20 foot armor plating, mag. buffer suspension, AND total seating for 400! With the most cargo holds of any ship in existence and at the industrial speed of 5 turns per hour, it is the inebriated box turtle of the intergalactic highway!
For only $9,000,000 or 3000 Talaxian slaves, you could be cruising this baby through wormholes, waving at the locals as they pass you in their faster, more efficient, warbirds of doom that could most certainly tear through your ship like a knife through a kull worm's skin. With only one hardpoint, your ship is guaranteed to harm nothing more than an escape pod or very very small comets.

Talk to your dealer today, and pay nothing 'till 4086! With down payment of only $2,000,000 and payments of only $500,000 every 120 turns, this is a deal you can't miss! Hurry while our depots still remain uncontrolled by hostile mines! (Offer void in Lu Galaxy) -MoonEye
that which pods you makes you stronger