Milliways - GP Archive: Trade and Raid V.3

News from the "Galactic Post" and "The Space Merchant Reporter" and "News Control"
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Milliways - GP Archive: Trade and Raid V.3

Post by Harry Krishna »

Crusaders Take Control of Ursa Major

Another shift in the relentless tug-o-war over the planets in the Ursa Major galaxy has occurred. Over the last couple of weeks, the Death Control alliance had gradually increased its territory and moved further and further into Ursa. One by one, all five worlds had fallen under DC control. Then, in the span of two hours, the Crusaders struck and claimed all five planets in that galaxy.
Stunned witnesses in Ursa Major sighted a fleet of 14 Crusaders ships flying around the galaxy, led by head-hookah-honcho Harry Krishna. "We didn't even know the Crusaders had that many members, much less that many warships!" exclaimed one shocked observer.

Moving in turn from one planet to the next, residents say the Crusaders ships fired their guns gently but steadily until finally each planet's defenses fell. One happy mother of two who lives on the planet in sector 3150, and who has seen her planet change hands a half-dozen times, was relieved at the speed, skill, and care with which the Crusaders smashed through the planet's protective shields and claimed ownership. "Usually, these takeovers make the whole world shake, and they're so loud so you can't even hear the tv. This time, my 19 month old daughter didn't even wake up from her nap," she said.

The planets were reportedly rated between level 37 and level 17 by the Galactic Ratings Board. The maximum rating the GRB gives a planet is a level 70. Two Crusaders ships were destroyed during the attack on the planets. No other fatalities were reported in the incident.

Editors note: four days after this incident occurred, Death Control ships once again swept into Ursa Major and took over the planets. The woman at 3150 quoted in this article could not be reached for comment and is believed to be dead.

Bring Back the Ikky Ports

I was minding my own business, going through the Ik''Thorne Galaxy and suddenly noticed that my trade route and many other ports are under WQ control!! Now I'm stuck making Ikky dimes compared to the fortune I was making before.
This is an outrage! Looks like the Federation can't be trusted any more. Ports sure can't trust the Federation. Who can? Only you can fend for yourself. I think if all Ik''Thorne starts cleaning up the WQ ports many Ik''Thorne traders will be happy. -an Ik''Thorne Trader

Human Refugees Head for West Quadrant in Droves

Humanity has reached a low, and looks like it will continue its downward trend in the foreseeable future. They appear to be avoiding all political and military involvement, with the least number of deaths and a low number of kills to their credit.
More and more Old World humans are leaving their native galaxy and heading for the West Quadrant, where they quickly integrate into their society. Currently, there are almost twice as many WQs as Old World Humans. The migration has led the West Quadrant to become the most populated galaxy in the current known universe.

What could be to blame for this mass exodus? Could it be the selection of hardware available to traders and hunters? Many WQ ships are cloaking device compatable, while Humans must settle for a Jump Drive. In these days, where it seems that darkness reigns supreme, a cloak can give a hunter or trader the added stealth necessary to function. A jump drive lets you move really far really quickly, but who knows what's at the other end of a jump? It could be the Dogs of War attacking No One again, for all we know!

Maybe the lure of the shadowiness associated with the WQ is drawing them in? Since the top alliances have names like "Choose your Poison" and "Death Control," maybe they figure that it is time to leave Humanity, often called a "shining beacon of hope," and join the "mysterious silence of the unknown."

Could it be they are sick of Humanity's constant state of war, caused by the stubbornness of President Lydia? In a recent message to the ruling council of the Humans, Lydia told them that there will be no peace during the current presidency. Instead of attenpting a coup de'tat, pilots may be dropping their old allegiance to their race and giving allegiance instead to those who rebelled against the oppressive ancestors of the current oppressor.

One Human, who shall remain anonymous, went as far as to accuse Lydia of being an undercover WQ agent. "I mean, what kind of name is Lydia? And why can I not even remember what Lydia looks like, or even if it's a guy or not? I don't remember anything I about Lydia except for a name! That's definitely a WQ characteristic there!" When I asked the trader to go into detail about Lydia, he asked who I was talking about. He was still mad about the "lizard men" who have been leaving mysterious circles in his friend's crops.

While the WQ may have the numbers, they have the worst quality pilots. There may be a few good ones out there, but on average, WQs are the most ineffective traders alive. They prefer to try hunting in their shiny playtoys, but they still are nowhere near the Thevians or Ik'thorne in the killing department.

Unless something changes soon, all known bipedal hominids will carry the WQ insignia on their ships. The human race will be reduced to shady dealings and corrupt leaders. (On a side note, this may already be the case, but at least they've been trying to put up a good front.)

This trader/journalist has not yet lost all faith in Humanity. Something must happen soon, though, because this is getting out of hand.

Death Control Generosity Betrayed

The evil behemoth that is Death Control recently showed a compassionate side in agreeing to furnish a respected opponent with funds to acquire a warship. Insiders have told the Galactic Post that Scorn was given 12 million by DC to buy a warship. The idea was for Scorn to act as a mercenary and help defend DC against a recent offensive military action taking place in DC territory.
According to DC insiders, however, Scorn later betrayed this act of generosity by using the ship to attack his benefactors. During a subsequent operation against DC, in which the Crusaders attacked and took control of five DC planets in Ursa Major, Scorn was spotted on the Crusaders roster. DC sent an electronic dispatch to Scorn during the operation and informed him that it was unacceptable to attack his benefactors as long as he was indebted to them. The veteran Ik-Thorne fighter ignored demands that he cease his attacks on DC. The planets were taken with Scorn's help in a warship paid for by Death Control.

The following day, Death Control held a news conference at it's headquarters in Lacerta. "Scorn has revealed his lack of moral integrity," a spokesman for Death Control said. "Traders and alliances are warned that this callous individual is ruthless in achieving his personal goals."

Scorn was unavailable for comment.

Death Control Assailable!

In the latest round of raids on the Galaxy of Ursa Major, recently made part of Death Control's ever growing empire. The Dogs of War attacked 2 Death Control planets. They met fierce resistance from 5 Death Control ships harassing and mining the attackers at the uno.
The Dogs of War successfully took both planets with no casualties. But in the process, Death Control successfully destroyed 2 Dogs of War ships while unoing. This has been the trademark of many assaults on Death Control, but in today’s skirmish, it seems Death Control was out-smarted and out-gunned. The steadfast defenders lost 5 ships, including their leader Sterling, and roughly 100,000 experience in protecting their real-estate.

Some say these attacks have lifted the Aura of Invulnerability that comes with the name Death Control, others say it is nothing. In the end, The Dogs of War sustained only 2 casualties, and claimed more than 150 million in bounties from their kills.

Was this incident a fluke of some gravity imbalance in hyperspace? Or was it the beginning of many assaults on the great Death Control?
that which pods you makes you stronger