Milliways - GP Archive: End Game Calamities V.1

News from the "Galactic Post" and "The Space Merchant Reporter" and "News Control"
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Milliways - GP Archive: End Game Calamities V.1

Post by Harry Krishna »

Death Control?

Who do these guys think they're fooling?
Control the Grand Reaver of Souls? Mister Black Cowl? Johnny Sickleman? C'mon......what is it really? Are these guys just trying to show that they are now understanding the transition into adulthood where EVERYBODY dies? Or is it one last vain attempt to hold on to one's youthful outlook, where you feel invincible, and YES YOU CAN drive a spaceship loaded with volatile explosives through an asteroid belt while hopped up on Nijarin Nose Whiz! Hey look at me -- I can sneak by that Federal Ultimatum because I have my cloak on even though the crew in the engine room is playing that Death Metal stuff so loud the hull actually vibrates!

But alas, mayhap it's just a joke on us all, as they feel that their godlike connections allow them to exude control over who lives and who dies while in the heat of battle. Death Control? Maybe they are supposed to be the intergalactic cleanup crew? You know, administering to all of those poor souls whose lives have been lost in the spacelanes, but if they are the intergalactic cleanup crew, someone needs to speak to them, because I hate to mention it, but the Dogs of War have left a smelly mess in my front yard again......

War, What is it Good For? Absolutely Nothing!

The dispute is on! Which is better, war or peace? This biased reporter says that peace is much better than war. No, I am not a galactic vegetation hugger or a Tiridiax weed smoker, I speak on the behalf of many who would like to be at peace more than war.
But how, HOW is peace better? We carefully examined this, and still can't come up with any definite answers. What we do know, is that peace with such races as Nijarin seems to be something every race is pushing for, since they have such nice weapons. The Nijarin, however, are not so eager to sign any peace treaties quite yet. "What good would our impressive array of weapons have if there was no one to use them on?" a Nijarin Council Member said.

For some, it would be nice for them to trade in other galaxies, where the ports haven't been hit so hard. Such an example of this is the re-declaration of war between the WQ Human and Alskant, who not to long ago could trade with eachother. Now that is a thing of the past, and each race is forced to trade amongst themselves. "It wouldn't be so bad, if we didn't have so few good routes remaining." This was said by an Alskant trader moments before he was sent flying in a pod back to headquarters, having been ambushed by DeathWing, for the forty-second time!

War is good to some extent. It is always good to have an enemy, it keeps you on your toes. But war with all races hurts more than it helps, and change is needed. Many councils now are attempting peace talks with a few races that seem to offer more during peacetime than war. Now if you'll excuse me, I have just been podded, so it's a long journey ahead for me!
-Moon Eye

Limerick of the Week

I just purchased an FU
It cost me 43 million too
I thought I was God
Now i'm riding a pod
And probably your mother too!

-MoonEye

Moon Eye Strikes It Rich A Second Time

Moon Eye seems to be on good terms with the Nebulonic Sisters of Luck, a constellation in the Nijarin Galaxy believed to bring good luck. He has just recently won 51 million dollars in the Galactic Lotto, along with another 45 million he won but a few weeks ago. We finally got a chance to sit down and talk to this lucky trader.
GP: So what will you do with your new found wealth?

Moon Eye: I have over 100 million dollars just sitting in the bank right now, I think I will put it towards a good cause, but a secret cause that I would not like to discuss at this time.

GP: That's very intriguing! Will you be playing the Galactic Lotto anytime soon again?

Moon Eye: I would like to, but I think it is about time I go back to the good old days of waking up in the morning, taking my hunting ship out for a spin, and riding home in the evening in a pod.

GP: What do you think of the 1.5 billion dollar bounty currently placed on DeathWing?

Moon Eye: My biggest hope is that whoever, if they ever, manage to get DeathWing, doesn't put that amount of wealth into such a use that it would damage the Federation or alliances out there and they use it for the good of the galaxy.

Moon Eye also told us that he plans on funding research on ways to fight the recent Boriax Virus Epidemic. -Galactic Press

Buccaneers' Onslaught Begins

The Dogs of War scarcely had time to catch its collective breath following the shocking Swarthy Buccaneers war declaration when the Buccaneers made good on their threats. A fleet of over a dozen warships piloted by the Buccaneers and their allies flew unopposed into Pegasus and quickly claimed all DoW outposts for "treasure burying."
The Buccaneers are quickly becoming feared for their tactical use of black powder cannon. Once thought an outmoded weapon, these crude mass drivers have slammed through one fleet after another and have left the rest of the universe looking for answers.

While this campaign rages on, the other major alliances remain quiet. As an anyonymous member of Death Control said, "I think we're all just counting ourselves lucky that this isn't our war to fight." A local barkeep summed it up best when he remarked, "No concession DoW has to make to end this war is too great. If they don't, the Buccaneers will just up and take what they please." Only time will tell if DoW can be forced into a concession or if this hearty bunch of "LotuS-lubbers" can make a final heroic stand.

Elves Still Hiding

The whispering from the bars in the beginning of the game was about a totally new alliance made of newbies trying to challenge the top 10. Led by the Sporadic leader forestelf A.K.A aznplaya06, the Elves made a name for themselves by taking over the Baffled Old Barracuda galaxy. The Elves flirted with the top 10 throughout the whole game but failed to establish themselves among the greats. An Elf who wishes to remain anonymous for reasons of safety said things went downhill after Darkblade defected to the newly restarted Black Sun Ascending, taking with him an undisclosed amount of hard-earned Elven cash.
Shortly after that, a rash of pods occurred around the planets largely due to invading BSA and Choose Your Poison fleets. Then the 6 man planet building fleet and galaxy guard went inactive, along with the alliance warchief. Forestelf frantically tried to recruit more members, but it seems they have returned to the forest.

Who were those Elves? Will they return? Only time will tell...

Looks deceive

a simple trader was doing his route
when he bought some merchandises
it was all as planned simple doubt.
asbefore he made his transfer a ship decloud
there he was standing face to face
one shoot was enough to kill the hunter
he was unprepared for the mass destructive trader.
as so he came to the name of Vladimir .
he was killed only once.... aint this unfair?....

Old School Showdown in Scutum

Resistance against the indomitable Death Control alliance reached new heights today as a number of major alliances contributed warships for an assault on a DC stronghold in Scutum. Witnesses say the fleet entering DC territory numbered 15 ships and were identified as being mainly from the Ultra Blue and Crusaders alliances. The allied forces for the operation moved into Scutum from Pseudphilus, clearing a path as they progressed, before moving through unmined territory to the heavily fortified DC planet in sector 3090.
However, the invaders were unaware of a significant force of 11 Death Control defenders mobilizing in the target galaxy, a force which chose not to engage the invading fleet right away. Instead, as the first attack on the planet was launched, the DC defenders proceeded to cut off any chance of retreat by mining and assembling their forces in the warp sector 3104. Aware that their supply lines had been cut, the invading ships converged on sector 3084 and a standoff ensued. Each side had lost lone ships during the maneuvering, but the main forces seemed unwilling to engage. The DC defenders were hesitant to directly engage the invading fleet that had them outnumbered, and their counterparts were unwilling to take the battle into the Death Control minefield.

The allied forces continued to reinforce their fleet and their numbers had now swelled to 19. Death Control had also increased their number to 13 ships, but to prevent the invaders from gaining any more advantage, DC further mined the warp to block ships not equipped with jumpdrives from joining the battle. The Death Control fleet then retreated into sector 2395 in Pseudphilus. The move allowed the invaders to clear the minefield in 3104 using jump capable ships, although at a great cost in fuel and risking ambush as they restocked.

Realizing that full engagement of the Death Control defenders was their only chance of escape and believing they had the numbers on their side, the allies finally swarmed into sector 2395. Although the allied fleet outnumbered the DC defenders, they had taken significant damage from mines.

The battle hung in the balance as a firefight in proportions unheard of since the legendary HoA-TF* war ensued. In the end, high numbers prevailed. The entire DC fleet was destroyed, and nearly all the allied pilots joined them for pod rides back to their respective HQ's. Scutum authorities report that in the heated 25 seconds of battle, a total of 31 pods were spotted jettisoning toward racial galaxy HQs.

The few battle survivors moved to repair their heavily damaged warships, but were unprepared for the speed with which the experienced DC fighters remobilized. One by one, they were picked off by DC warships rushing back to Pseudphilus to complete the successful defense of their territory.

The final death toll for the day was the loss of 23 allied warships, and 15 Death Control deaths. Sources in Lacerta report that the DC leadership is satisfied with their defense operation, which inflicted a significantly higher death toll on the allies and successfully prevented any significany damage to DC territory or planets. A spokesman for the attacking allied fleet said that while their goal of busting a Death Control planet was not reached, the resulting fleet fight and the chance to destroy approximately 300 million federal credits worth of DC property made it all worthwhile.

*Editor's note: Although remembered by few in the current era, the ancient and epic battles between the Horsemen of the Apocolypse and the Forsaken are still documented in dusty server archives. Interested GP readers may want to coax one of the drunken old-timers found in saloons across the universe for a first-hand account of those times.
that which pods you makes you stronger